What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sad Season 9 GIF by The Office

Did they not hear about Jeremy Dougherty's plans for a national championship?? I'm sure they'll come crawling back any second now

Which is funny because it’s not like it necessarily benefits one specific person. Sure, there are now $10m/year coaches, but that’s peanuts compared to the revenue the programs bring in. The ADs make even less. The boosters get treated well but don’t see a monetary ROI.
Boosters just want to feel like they’re part of the team, so they feel connected to the wins. “The action IS the juice.”

CU Boulder has a $2.1 billion budget next year. Revenue from the AD is significant for a university, but barely so.

The value of the AD is with alumni & donor engagement and with marketing to prospective students. Possibly there's the potential for research partnerships, but I've been told by professors that the sports conference is irrelevant to that (they do see the benefit of making it easier to fill their student slots in their department if CU gets a lot of exposure, but that's it for them other than fan type considerations which fall outside their professional considerations).

That's what will drive CU's conference decision.

The most important thing Kliavkoff can say on Friday to make the presidents & chancellors (his bosses) happy is that he is expanding Pac-12 distribution to reach more people and expanding membership/footprint in a way that maintains conference prestige.

Revenue is important, but not for the reasons we are focused upon. Revenue is important to avoid member ADs running debt and/or having to cause a prestige loss by cutting non-revenue sports.
It won't happen right away but I do believe that at some point in the not to distant future some of these schools are going to look at having backup QBs making multiples of what award winning research faculty members are making, at having coaches making more than the salary budget of whole departments, of having mercenary players who have no pretense of being on campus for an education and when they look at these things in the context of the mission of the university are going to say enough and despite some revenue losses are going to significantly scale back what they do in terms of football and other athletic programs.

Some (like Nebraska) will never admit that they are willing to compromise anything to win but I can very easily see the administration in Boulder with the support of the faculty and of the university community at large deciding it isn't worth it.

It won't happen right away but I do believe that at some point in the not to distant future some of these schools are going to look at having backup QBs making multiples of what award winning research faculty members are making, at having coaches making more than the salary budget of whole departments, of having mercenary players who have no pretense of being on campus for an education and when they look at these things in the context of the mission of the university are going to say enough and despite some revenue losses are going to significantly scale back what they do in terms of football and other athletic programs.

Some (like Nebraska) will never admit that they are willing to compromise anything to win but I can very easily see the administration in Boulder with the support of the faculty and of the university community at large deciding it isn't worth it.
…and at the end of the day, they might be right.

This. I think it could be headed that way too. Univ of Chicago, Johns Hopkins, and MIT all do pretty well without D-I or DII sports/football. And they're roughly the same size or larger than Duke, Notre Dame, or Northwestern. All private schools - yeah, but in this new climate I think some publics might be future shoes to drop. Not something to hope for, but things change all the time.

This. I think it could be headed that way too. Univ of Chicago, Johns Hopkins, and MIT all do pretty well without D-I or DII sports/football. And they're roughly the same size or larger than Duke, Notre Dame, or Northwestern. All private schools - yeah, but in this new climate I think some publics might be future shoes to drop. Not something to hope for, but things change all the time.
I think we will see more Villanova/Georgetown models. Football drops down to FCS or D2. Other sports emphasized. This will start to happen once we get to a college football pro league that's monopolizing the money & media coverage. Being a "football school" won't be worth it for many unis if they're not in the league.

This is the ultimate goal from the "haves" programs. If you think they don't like paying an equal share to conference members with whom they have 100 year histories, ask them how they feel about the NCAA sharing that's so lucrative everyone seems to be trying in recent years to move up to the FBS level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back