What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023-24 Coaching Carousel (Fitzgerald out, DC Braun interim at Northwestern)

Andy Staples has him on the aTm hot board.

He’s just not a very sexy name, but he’s probably winning national coach of the year (or at least should), so he should be in consideration for most openings.
Jedd Fisch probably the most surprising success this year. I thought he had them on the right track but I always thought 7/8 wins would be their ceiling with him but it looks like I was lowballing him.

The real concern will be this time next year when Florida fires Napier, and Shedeur, Shilo and Travis are leaving for the league.

I think it’s important for RG and CP to work out a contract extension this offseason that increases not only his salary and his assistant coach salary pool, but resets and increases the buyout.

Jedd Fisch probably the most surprising success this year. I thought he had them on the right track but I always thought 7/8 wins would be their ceiling with him but it looks like I was lowballing him.
He’s also mostly been an NFL guy throughout his career, which is why I think his name hasn’t been mentioned much.

Andy Staples has him on the aTm hot board.

He’s just not a very sexy name, but he’s probably winning national coach of the year (or at least should), so he should be in consideration for most openings.
He definitely deserves to be in the big job conversation but not enough cache for that fanbase. You gotta remember, they want to **** on UGA and Bama. And they really want to **** on Texas. So their standards are extremely favoring the hype.

For me, I just think the coach needs to either have a ton or experience and know the terrain or be from the SEC family.

For me, it's Sonny Dykes but that's just me.

The real concern will be this time next year when Florida fires Napier, and Shedeur, Shilo and Travis are leaving for the league.

I think it’s important for RG and CP to work out a contract extension this offseason that increases not only his salary and his assistant coach salary pool, but resets and increases the buyout.
The buyout is the key. He will get a filthy offer at some point so make sure CU is in a spot to profit.

Is it that realistic? Lanning, Norvell, and DeBoer have better jobs than A&M.

Money talks, but there is a reason A&M never consistently wins big.
Oregon and Okie State have it perfected. Being an administrator at A&M and Texas has to be one of the most difficult jobs in America

I think Texas A&M is a legit threat. I would have Prime in the top 3 after Dykes and Urban personally. Lanning is from Oregon. They have an offensive scheme and been recruiting to that forever. Mario and Willie proved that Oregon guys are a product of their style of play.

DeBoer isn't a SEC or Texas guy, you gotta be that. He's a super odd fit.

I didn't see anyone on that list that wowed me. Kiffin can recruit but they want someone who can dominate. Kiffin in the highest level is an excellent recruiter but he hasn't come close to top tier yet. You gotta think, they want to eventually pass Bama and UGA and clearly pass Texas who now has Arch Manning coming to the SEC as a RS freshman.

I don't see too many good candidates for what they want. Lanning ain't it to me. I would avoid Oregon guys. You can't replicate it. I would hire Lincoln Riley before I hire most of these guys. He at least understand Texas and the climate. You gotta force him to hire an elite DC though. That said, USC is a better job than A&M.

By far, their most endearing attribute.
That's what they live for. They are a hype team. The candidates they like are hype guys. Even Sumlin and Jimbo share that feature. They want that type and that's what they like but they have tremendous expectations. They want to win recruiting. Win the regular season games. Win titles. They want to win. Recruiting is a legit season for them. It's not like here. The SEC is just different. Urban got burned out.

to the J. Fisch talk above.....I'm impressed. I posted in another thread I was totally underwhelmed by that hire.....and it was like U of A was committing D-1 suicide by overpriced "name" coach already on the career down-spiral retread city hiring RichRod and Sumlin back to back.

I looked thru the U of A football wiki....kinda forgot Mike Stoops coaches there....and wasn't terrible. had a couple 8 or 9 win teams. lotta 5-6, 6-5. and his OC was Sonny Dykes and DC Mark Stoops. pretty solid pair, in hindsight.

However, with all respect to #1, if I were an Aggie fan.....I don't have interest in Sonny Dykes. he got a lot of help last year with Patterson's D peeps around. and ATM boosters were horny to rehire RC Slocum and bring back the Wrecking Crew until Manziel. many are that age, sorta prehistoric and still writing the checks. Now, who knows what they want.....

Now, I thought ATM was going to get over the hump when they hired Francione.....Mack couldn't win the big game, Fran was recruiting lights out, won 10 at games Bama when they were scuffling, and outcoached Stoops once badly and almost another time. But, shows what I know. Fran was bringing the run game back to spread happy Big XII South....

Farmer Fight.....getting to know all that ATM stuff was one of the weirder, more unpleasant parts of them joining the Big 8/XII.

edit: an the ATM thing, a very good Rick N era memory is shutting down Leland McElroy....who was an excellent college football player but he got nothing at Folsom that day.

Last edited:
I think Texas A&M is a legit threat. I would have Prime in the top 3 after Dykes and Urban personally. Lanning is from Oregon. They have an offensive scheme and been recruiting to that forever. Mario and Willie proved that Oregon guys are a product of their style of play.

I didn't see anyone on that list that wowed me. Kiffin can recruit but they want someone who can dominate. Kiffin in the highest level is an excellent recruiter but he hasn't come close to top tier yet. You gotta think, they want to eventually pass Bama and UGA and clearly pass Texas who now has Arch Manning coming to the SEC as a RS freshman.

I don't see too many good candidates for what they want. Lanning ain't it to me. I would avoid Oregon guys. You can't replicate it. I would hire Lincoln Riley before I hire most of these guys. He at least understand Texas and the climate. You gotta force him to hire an elite DC though. That said, USC is a better job than A&M.
I'll go through Thamel's list 1 by 1-

Mike Elko-I think really highly of Elko, but I think A&M has to go another way. Duke hired him from A&M. I really don't see Aggie spending $100M firing Jimbo only to hire one of his former assistants. Feels like a guy who would be a much better fit for Michigan if that opens.
Kliff Kingsbury-I don't get why we're even talking about him here. Let's move on.
Klieman-He's a midwest guy. Possible, but he's a weird fit here to me.
Traylor-Now we're talking. Very good coach. From Texas. Is he enough of a splash? We'll see, but I think they need to look at him.
Norvell-Similar resume. He's overlapped with Lanning at Pitt and at ASU. No Texas ties, but does know FL. He's possible here.
Lanning-He's not from OR. Born in KC. Coached in the south and SW for the most part outside of Oregon. Worked under both Kirby and Saban. Likely extremely attractive to them.
DeBoer-I don't see him leaving UW for that gig. 21-2 through two years in Seattle. Probably three wins from a playoff bid.
Kiffin-I wonder if he thinks he's peaked at Ole Miss. It feels like he's going to win 7-9 games every year there.....but good luck winning big in Oxford.

Its Kiffin or Lanning here to me. I wouldn't rule out a guy like Traylor or Norvell.

Last edited:
The softness of Lincoln Riley’s USC teams is a giant red flag.

Not enough cache yet, but the Texas Tech coach might be the best in Texas right now. Doing more with less. McGuire appears to have been the magic behind Matt Rhule’s run at Baylor (chris Petersen at Boise type).

That would be a ballsy hire but I’m pretty sure it would prove to be a golden move.

I agree CP is a legit candidate. I think he is tiring of the lack of NIL at CU. He can draw recruits but cannot get their signature with NIL limitations. TA&M has huge NIL pockets. CP's classes would instantly rival Bama and GA. I think their plan is Lanning first and if they cannot get him, they focus on CP.

Back