What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023-24 Coaching Carousel (Fitzgerald out, DC Braun interim at Northwestern)

IMO, a bunch of UCLA's situation is simply money. UCLA AD has lost $130M++ since 2019. Also, they had losses pre-Covid too. In 2016, things looked roses--when UCLA signed a 15yr $280M contract with Under Armour, the largest college sponsorship contract to that time--$18.9M/yr. 2020 UA terminated the deal, UCLA sued to $200M, UA counter-sued, 2 years of litigation later it settled for $67M, which is not that much when you take out legal fees + some damages. The new Nike contract is only $7.5M/yr. Overall, UCLA revenue fell off a cliff with Covid.

AD is described as mercurial--as reported in LA Times, he "gave no good reason why he kept Kelly in December." New Chancellor coming in, so the AD may be on thin ice. UCLA does not have a president. Not a good situation for any decent hired coach to jump into. I doubt LL or any P4 coach would jump, unless they are already on a hot hot seat. There is just not financial stability or a financial commitment. You could be hired by an AD that is gone in 1-2 years. IMO, that sort of rules out a big-name hire either. One thing to remember, if a head coach leaves now for UCLA, the portal does open for UCLA (UCLA guys will bolt) and his team, but those guys are in school for Spring ball, unless they enter portal and withdraw from school. They cannot enroll into UCLA until the summer. For a hot coordinator or NFL type, does UCLA have the funds/commitment to adequately pay a new staff + expand their football infrastructure?? That is a huge lift.

This sort of reminds me of CU's situation with Bohn/Hawkins, Midnight Smell and KD, all in one. CK put together a much better record than Hawkins, but going into this year it seemed he was a dead man walking, and knew it--just like Hawkins. Hawkins was losing AC's, not recruiting (his recruiting budget was low), and they really seemed flat-lined both as an AD and program. Hawkins had to bring in his old mentor from UC-Davis as an AC because he could not get one. Bohner did not fire him just because of the buy-out, and we kept him until after the Kansas game. Cash strapped . . . Butch Jones debacle at the time, then the Embo experiment . . . next, a slow build with MikeMac. Bohner finally resigned but CU still paid him $1M settlement. MM sort of fizzed out, as the admin was not bought into football--however they CU did make good on its facility promises. Rick George came in with a vision and revitalized some admin relationships and initially gets his guy with Tucker, but again CU the admin is not fully committed, thus he bolts for double the $$, at a terrible time. Thus, CU was forced into a KD due to bad timing--but that was a blessing in disguise too (Butch Jones just awful, Midnight Smell is out of football). Tucker's larger recruiting apparatus dwindled when Smell bolts, and KD sort of did things on a smaller budget. I think KD was a good man, placeholder coach, and never complained, as they lacked the resources, admin support or momentum then. This is sort of where I see UCLA, they need to get a placeholder until the get their financial house in order and a stabilize their entire AD. Jarmond may be over his head like Bohn was at CU.

We need to sit back and enjoy the Prime Time. George was able to garner the trust and support of the admin to make a big step with Prime. I don't think this is the case with UCLA.

Last edited:
IMO, a bunch of UCLA's situation is simply money. UCLA AD has lost $130M++ since 2019. Also, they had losses pre-Covid too. In 2016, things looked roses--when UCLA signed a 15yr $280M contract with Under Armour, the college largest sponsorship contract to that time--$18.9M/yr. 2020 UA terminated the deal, UCLA sued to $200M, UA counter-sued, 2 years of litigation later it settled for $67M, which is not that much when you take out legal fees + some damages. The new Nike contract is only $7.5M/yr. Overall, UCLA revenue fell off a cliff with Covid.

AD is described as mercurial--as reported in LA Times, he "gave no good reason why he kept Kelly in December."

Your first paragraph answers the unasked question in the first sentence of your second paragraph. Kelly would have been owed a $10mm buyout if UCLA had fired him during or after the 2023 season.

The Western and Mountain time zones are dead. P4 conference games are in the Eastern time zone. The only teams not playing conference games 2-3 time zones away are G6 schools.
Do ever get tired of making sweeping and inaccurate generalizations?

We are seeing guys go to the NFL but need to remember that the NFL only has 32 staffs to fill, most of which are full and for most openings guys with NFL experience will have the advantage. For the huge majority of college coaches their only option will be to stay at the college level.

To become a head coach again the NFL only has 32 jobs.

I don't like what is happening in the college game but finding coaches isn't going to be a problem.

I do think that in addition to some guys going to the pros who wouldn't in the past we are also likely to see a lot of the older guys retire earlier than in the past.

Do ever get tired of making sweeping and inaccurate generalizations?
Confused James Franco GIF

Your first paragraph answers the unasked question in the first sentence of your second paragraph. Kelly would have been owed a $10mm buyout if UCLA had fired him during or after the 2023 season.

That is not a bad point... I think Kelly could have stayed and been owed the $4.6M buyout, but what if the school/AD says "we got no money to pay you, go stand in line?" Also, I don't think CK did the greatest job, is the greatest coach or probably the greatest person; but some of this financial/the AD stuff sort of seems to me like they would find "for cause," even if nothing really existed--just to get out of paying the debt anyway. Like a bad boss/employer looking to find something. Financially, they are just that sideways. Bohn said the same thing and Hawkins said "awe shucks, I'll stay for the $$ ... we get thrashed but maybe Cody gets some records." At least CK had the balls just to end it.

Last edited:
Meaning he’s not going to high center his career by taking a job at any school that was a PAC12 member. I think he’s more grounded than that.
USC, UW, and Oregon would be significant step ups for Leipold. Full stop. If you want to say UCLA isn’t, that’s fine, but it also has nothing to do with the Mountain or Pacific time zones

It came to me in this article... after an extensive search Jarmond will either: (a) hire himself--he sounds like the exact "CEO type" they are looking for; or (b) go get Hafley, who is rested, ready and available for about $1.5M? Or both.

USC, UW, and Oregon would be significant step ups for Leipold. Full stop. If you want to say UCLA isn’t, that’s fine, but it also has nothing to do with the Mountain or Pacific time zones
You’ve missed my point but that’s OK, I didn’t state it very well.

You’ve missed my point but that’s OK, I didn’t state it very well.
It seems you were saying UCLA isn’t the opportunity that Leipold should/would leave KU for. I think that’s a fair opinion. What you said was entirely different, regardless of your overarching point.

Scheer has a vendetta against Fisch so it wouldn’t surprise me if it wasn’t true.
He also might be doing the transference thing since randoms were claiming that the new UofA coach interviewed at UCLA. the anger around Tucson about Fisch and those claims was palpable. Also, Scheer seems like a giant a hole

Back