What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023 NCAA Tourn. Thread-6 seed//20 ranked WOMEN'S Bball (Sweet 16 game in Seattle vs. 2 seed/ 3 ranked Iowa; Friday, Mar. 24th, 5:30 PM MT; ESPN)

Wow! Biggest win in 20 years!

Buffs were physically and mentally tough and kudos to them for not wilting on Duke's court.

First quarter was exceptional with the Buffs getting the ball down low to Vonleh and Miller scoring like she has much of the season.

Third quarter was a train wreck with all the turnovers an horrible half court offense.

Fourth quarter and OT the Buffs were able to get just enough points to win.

Buffs went to a zone in the third and stayed in it for a much of thee rest of the game. Don't think we've seen that this season.

Stats that grabbed my attention -

Points in the paint: CU 34, Duke 20

Second chance points: CU 16, Duke 6

Welcome back, Quay Miller! 17 points tp go with 14 rebounds.

That was an phenomenally gutty performance. Incredible win and Sweet 16 for the Women's program!

I just became a huge fan for JR Payne. It's was becoming apparent she is a good coach, having rebuilt a terrible program in a brutally difficult league. But, now she has a chance now to move to the upper echeleon of women's basketball coaches.

Jaylyn Sherrod's performance was truly legendary - I will never forget it. She got CU over the hump in its biggest women's basketball game in 20 years. She has to instantly be under consideration to be an Inductee into the CU Hall of Fame.

Last edited:
More media after yesterday's HUGE win:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/3/20/...-16-it-is-buffs-advance-with-win-at-duke.aspx

"
Game Recap: Women's Basketball | March 20, 2023 | by Colin Wagner

How Sweet (16) It Is: Buffs Advance With Win At Duke​

CU Advances To First Sweet 16 In 20 Years

DURHAM, N.C. - How Sweet (16) It Is! The Colorado women's basketball team is headed to the Sweet 16 for the seventh time in program history and the first time in 20 years on the strength of a 61-53 overtime win against Duke Monday night at Cameron Indoor Stadium

Quay Miller broke out of her recent shooting slump in style, scoring a game-high 17 points and pulling down a game-high 14 rebounds. Jaylyn Sherrod added 14 points and six rebounds and Aaronette Vonleh scored 12 points with six rebounds of her own.

"I freaking love my team," coach JR Payne said afterward. "I love each and every one of them. I'm so unbelievably proud of our tenacity, our ability to just never wilt. When things get hard, we dig in, we lean into each other and just continue to fight and play defense. Our team did a really great job of preparing in a short amount of time. Super proud and onward we go."

Colorado advances in the Seattle Regional where the Buffs will face No. 2 seed Iowa Friday (5:30 p.m MT/ESPN). The other side of the bracket has No. 5 seed Louisville facing No. 8 seed Ole Miss, who beat top-seeded Stanford.

"I knew we could do it," Miller exclaimed. "It was just a matter of actually doing it. Right now. I just feel extremely blessed."

Colorado got off to a quick start, opening up a 15-2 lead in the first quarter and Sherrod was clutch at the end of the fourth quarter, scoring the game's final four points in the final 91 seconds, helping the Buffs to a 15-3 run to close the game, outscoring the Blue Devils 11-3 in overtime.

"Being here for four years, from where we started to where we are now, I'm just really proud of this program and how far we've come and the work we put in, the hours, the belief when nobody else believed," Sherrod added. "It was tough. It's hard being in a group and working toward something you can't see in front of you. All the 6 a.m's. The runs up the mountain. It's all preparing for this moment. When you're doing it, you don't really see that outcome, but it's all worth it in the end when you get to this point."

Key Moment
Sherrod hit two layups, the final four points of regulation, in the last 91 seconds to force overtime. The Buffs maintained momentum in overtime, outscoring Duke 11-3 for the win.

Notes
Colorado improves to 19-14 all-time in the NCAA Tournament and 5-3 as a No. 6 seed in the Big Dance … It's the program's first Sweet 16 appearance for JR Payne, first in 20 years since the 2003 tournament and seventh in CU history, joining 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 2002 and 2003, the first six coming under coach Ceal Barry … CU is now 25-8 on the season, the most wins for the program in 10 years since a 25-7 record in 2012-13, and it's the eighth 25-win season in CU history … Only five seasons have seen more wins at CU, 30-3 in 1994-95, 28-5 in 1980-81, 28-8 in 1981-82, 27-4 in 1992-93, 27-5 in 1993-94, and 26-9 in 1995-96 … Colorado recorded 11 steals, hitting double figures for the 17th time this season and is now 11-6 in those games … Colorado's 61 points is a season low for a win and the Buffs scored just 40 points after the first quarter, but still pulled out an eight point victory … The Buffs improved to 17-0 when holding an opponent to 60 or fewer points … Miller's 14 rebounds are the third-highest total of the season behind 19 against Oregon State (2/5) and 17 in the season opener against New Mexico State (11/7) … Miller scored 17 points after scoring 15 in the previous four games … Miller has scored in double figures 27 times this season and double figures in rebounds 10 times with nine double-doubles … Sherrod hit double figures in points for the 20th game this season and season best sixth straight game … Sherrod's six rebounds is the second-best total of the season and she has had five-plus rebounds four times in the last seven games after hitting that number twice in the first 26 games of the season … Vonleh hit double figures in scoring for the 24th time this season and sixth straight game … Formann now has 71 3-pointers this season with one on the night, moving into a tie for fifth place in CU history with Shelley Sheetz (1992-93) and Jenny Roulier (2001-02) … Formann was 2-of-2 from the line and is now 49-of-54 on the season for a 90.7 percentage, and she needs just one more make to enter the CU season record and she would be just the second player to hit 90-plus from the free throw line with 50-plus makes … Vonleh was 6-of-10 from the field and is now 178-of-303 (.587) on the season, on pace for the eighth best shooting percentage in CU history and best since Jackie McFarland shot .605 in 2006-07 … Miller's 14 rebounds gives her 287 on the season, good for ninth in CU history and her 209 defensive rebounds ranks tied for third most in CU history with Jackie McFarland (2006-07) behind only Chucky Jeffery (213 in 2011-12) and LeaAnn Banks (217 in 1985-86) … Sherrod now has 158 assists on the season, eighth-most in CU history … Sherrod was credited with two steals, giving her 77 on the season, ninth most in CU history.

Quotes
JR Payne
On CU's Defense:
"I have to give all defensive credit to our Associate Head Coach Toriano (Towns) who runs our defense. That was his decision. The type of defense we played, but we came out early is how we like to defend. We want to be highly disruptive. We want to pressure. Everything's pretty scout driven, though. There are times that we don't necessarily play like that, but it is Jaylyn alluded to it. It is our mindset that we're the ultimate underdog. We were picked eighth we finished third (in the Pac-12) and everyone, EVERYONE, had us out of their bracket and had us losing in the first round. We relish that. But we play with that type of chip on our shoulder and that toughness. Defensively, that was T's decision to go zone. I thought it was a great decision and thought it created some opportunities for us on the offensive end as well."

On Celeste Taylor: "She's incredible. I've watched Celeste play since high school. We tried to recruit her a long time ago. She was coming out of high school and she already had her choices. We've been fans of hers for a long time. I think she plays the game the way it's meant to be played, with a lot of tenacity, a lot of discipline and a lot of toughness. So it is hard to game plan for her, but the great thing about our team is that we do have a lot of weapons. We have a lot of different players that can do a lot of different things. While they're a great team defensively, they only had one Celeste. We knew that she'd probably be on Frida as far as trying to be disruptive on her. We were able to capitalize on different positions and try to take advantage if there were ways that we could try to keep Celeste away from the ball a little bit."

On Defense: "I think we've all alluded to it. We do hang our hats defensively. We're a defensive-minded team, as is Duke. We take a lot of pride in being stingy, making touches difficult and things like that. I think when things get difficult for us, these guys, these guys said it, we lean into each other. We have great communication when things are hard. We thrive in environments like this. In the Pac-12, we play in a lot of big, crowded gyms. We're used to that. Our communication is usually pretty good and we were able to make sure we were talking we were in the right spots. We were disruptive and ultimately rebounding down the stretch became important for us."

On Iowa: "I mean, they're incredible. We played them years ago. This is my seventh year in Colorado. We played them early in the NIT, and I don't know which round it was maybe the third round of the NIT. They're so good. Everybody knows Iowa. They're great. They're so well coached, they're disciplined. They're probably everything you want in a basketball team. We'll enjoy the victory tonight and then we'll start to work tomorrow on the front."

Points In The Paint: "They were really important. As I said, we have a good balance. We have a lot of different players that are not just capable but have stepped up in big moments. We've had several people hit huge shots. We've had several people have huge stops and scores and things like that. We also have a very unselfish group which is cool. Nobody really cares who gets the winning shot. Nobody cares who gets the winning defensive rebound or forces the turnover or things like that. I think when you have balanced and you have a team that genuinely is unselfish like that, then you can play great basketball no matter where you are, who you're playing, or what environment. I think we showed that tonight."

Quay Miller
On Playing On The Road: "It was just our togetherness, which shows throughout the whole game. We played as one unit. That's how we built our big leads. The best thing we did was embrace it, even though the crowd was against us. It's a beautiful environment, and we thrive off that. We've been underdogs all season. Having a group or a gym full of people yelling at us and not going for us, we're used to it. I actually think we play better in that environment just because we've adopted that mentality from Jaylyn. We just thrive off that. Let's turn it up and make them even more mad."

On 14 Rebounds: "Every time in the huddle (Coach) Towns was telling me to crash the boards. I was trying to do the best I could. He kept telling me to crash and I was trying to grab every rebound that came my way."

On Getting In Rhythm: "It was nothing I was doing differently, it was all mental. I just really locked in and prayed harder and really focused on things that were in my control, which was my communication with God."

Jaylyn Sherrod
On Playing On The Road: "We just came out with an intensity. We knew from our scout that they like to press, they're a high-level defensive team and we knew we couldn't be timid. I love hostile environments. I love being the bad guy. The team feeds off that, too. We've been in a lot of those situations this season. We've had moments this season we had to learn from those situations. We gave into the environment rather than embracing it. It shows the maturity of this team to have grown from those situations and know how to deal with it now that we're in the postseason."

On Ending The Game On a 15-3 Run: "Our zone is not a typical zone, it's very high pressure, very aggressive. Once we got into that, we just got them out of rhythm."

On Coming Up Limping: "Oftentimes, I just need a minute. That's just what I do. I know that the team needs me. I know I need to be there for my team, even if it's just bringing the ball up. You get pushed down and you know how to get up and dusted off and that's a mental game at that point. You have to find a way when it means that much to you."
"
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score -

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Note - In the below, the Buffs' press conference starts at around the 30 minute mark and ends around the 46 minute mark

Last edited:
Remember the person who kept coming here and saying fire JR? It takes years to build a program and I give Rick George credit for giving JR the time to build it. Now he needs to give her a nice fat raise when the season ends.

This team believes in themselves and each other. They appear to genuinely like each other and their coaches. They understand the process, like running in the mountains. They know all of those things made them better.

I know Iowa is a tough match up. I know CU loves to play defense and Iowa loves to sThoot the ball. Have to have a plan to stop Clark to Cziano. Clark will get her points. Have to stop the other players. They have a couple who can shoot threes. They have been beaten this season and by some big margins.

On a side note, CU didn't have as many fans there last night as they had Saturday (probably due to the time). Some friends of mine have moved to North Carolina and bought tickets from CU. Last night, CU moved them down to where the player comp ticket people sit. They were on television cheering on the Buffs. We used to ride the bus to Salina together all those years ago and the daughter was once a ball girl. I'm happy for them that CU treated them right and got them down close to the action.

I so wish I didn't have this damn blood clot. I'd be on a plane to Seattle.

Go Buffs!

During her interview on ESPN after the game, the reporter asked Sherrod why she chose CU over her other offers. She responded with, “Honest to God, CU was my only P5 offer.” :ROFLMAO:

That was a great and outstanding coached game. And I forgot that the Buffs were playing at Duke's home. Amazing, gritty victory.
To crush a favored Duke team in OT at Cameron Indoor in the tournament is signature. Completely.

Last edited:
Lol-

I just remembered that I forgot to mention: I'm not sure if the second best part of the entire night made the broadcast. With about 20 seconds to go in OT, Sherrod made two FTs to essentially ice the game. immediately afterwards, Duke called a TO. The CU band IMMEDIATELY broke out into Aretha Franklin's "Respect". Just an absolute masterclass in trolling- well done.

The best part of the evening, was, of course, watching the team celebrate. Quay Miller was awesome- she led the team in celebrating with the cheerleaders and the band specifically- Sadler even got on the drumset.

The third best part was all the salty, salty duke tears.

During her interview on ESPN after the game, the reporter asked Sherrod why she chose CU over her other offers. She responded with, “Honest to God, CU was my only P5 offer.” :ROFLMAO:

It was true. She sat out her senior season with the hip injury that she eventually had surgically fixed at CU. Only JR and her staff was willing to take a chance on her.

Jay wanted to beat Stanford so she played that game when they upset #1 Stanford and had surgery the following week. I am so happy JR believed in her. She gives 1000% when she plays

I was just perusing the Iowa season stats, and they‘ve only played 11 total road games this year, where they were 7-4. Hopefully, they find Seattle to be unfriendly territory.

It sounds like 10-seed Georgia gave Iowa all they could handle and even came back from 64-56 with about 6 minutes left to cut the Iowa lead to 2 before Iowa scored the last 6 points of the game. Georgia held the lead as late as the 2:01 mark of the 3rd quarter. Iowa is 18-1 at home on the season so could be a different story for them on the road.

It sounds like 10-seed Georgia gave Iowa all they could handle and even came back from 64-56 with about 6 minutes left to cut the Iowa lead to 2 before Iowa scored the last 6 points of the game. Georgia held the lead as late as the 2:01 mark of the 3rd quarter. Iowa is 18-1 at home on the season so could be a different story for them on the road.

If the Buffs can get past Iowa, I like their chances to get to the final four with how things have played out in their region.

Back