What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023 NIT Tourney Thread

I’m really hoping Nique isn’t one of those classic players that Tad has a soft spot for and gives way more leeway to as a result — but who knows, if he stays and comes off the bench on a semi-healthy team maybe we’ll see a different player
I don't know, some of his post-game comments were pretty damning yesterday. Saying that Lovering is the only one on the team with a defense-first mentality (which I kind of agree with). That does not bode well for Clifford, who kind of has to hang his hat on D to get any minutes

I don't know, some of his post-game comments were pretty damning yesterday. Saying that Lovering is the only one on the team with a defense-first mentality (which I kind of agree with). That does not bode well for Clifford, who kind of has to hang his hat on D to get any minutes
A healthy Elijah Parquet shuts down white chocolate and gets us a win. Haven’t had that kind of defense for 2 seasons. Don’t see it next season unless a freshman or sophomore steps up.

I've often thought that Colorado/front range kids need more time to develop.
Nique has gone backwards. Lawson developing, but oh so slowly. Hammonds also slowly developing. LOB finally popped this year.
Only LOB has confidence he belongs.

Hammonds is much more of a point guard than KJ, but he is much too sloppy with the ball, and just looks awful at times (due to confidence I believe).
His air ball from the corner last night was just awful.

KJ just isn't a true point guard, and he's a liability on defense and cannot shoot. He's also not strong enough and gets bullied by the stronger PGs he's faced.
I have lost confidence that he can consistently lead a team to a greater height.

I think we need a transfer to start at PG if we are going to be a much better team.

291970517_728433371818103_856325738745233024_n.jpg

Well I just scored

Five hole?

Nique has gone backwards. Lawson developing, but oh so slowly. Hammonds also slowly developing. LOB finally popped this year.

Hammonds is much more of a point guard than KJ, but he is much too sloppy with the ball, and just looks awful at times (due to confidence I believe).

KJ just isn't a true point guard, and he's a liability on defense and cannot shoot. He's also not strong enough and gets bullied by the stronger PGs he's faced.
I have lost confidence that he can consistently lead a team to a greater height.

I think we need a transfer to start at PG if we are going to be a much better team.
I think we need a true PG to lead on the floor and get the potential out of our other players. KJ isn't it, doesn't have that mentality. He is a guy who can create offense for himself but would be more dangerous with a true point guard to set him up.

I'm fine with Lawson. Big guys are usually slow to develop and he didn't have much real competition before getting to Boulder.

Tad can get stubborn at times insisting that he can "fix" a player. Hope that Nique isn't a newer version of Talton in Tad's mind.

I think we need a true PG to lead on the floor and get the potential out of our other players. KJ isn't it, doesn't have that mentality. He is a guy who can create offense for himself but would be more dangerous with a true point guard to set him up.
He can create. But how do you set up a guy who can’t shoot?

He can create. But how do you set up a guy who can’t shoot?
He's a better shooter than people think when he doesn't have to worry about other things.

A good point guard can draw defenses to himself creating open shots for his teammates. In the same way a good point guard can influence a defense in a way that can open lanes to drive in. Let KJ slash and drive against a defense that is off balance and he becomes very dangerous. He can then score the ball or drop it off to an open wing (DiSilva) or an open big man low (LL.)

Often good PGs don't get the assist but create the play.

I'm fine with Lawson. Big guys are usually slow to develop and he didn't have much real competition before getting to Boulder.

Tad can get stubborn at times insisting that he can "fix" a player. Hope that Nique isn't a newer version of Talton in Tad's mind.
Let's be real...Talton gave us more than Nique this year.

Agreed. Looking at the route now. Not sure why I have been through Orem, but I'm sure I have.
You aren't missing anything in Orem unless you like story telling festivals. No, I haven't been to it before, just heard it goes on during the summer sometime. Utah is the weirdest ****ing state I've ever been to. I haven't been to all 50, so maybe there is a weirder one, doubtful though. :D

You aren't missing anything in Orem unless you like story telling festivals. No, I haven't been to it before, just heard it goes on during the summer sometime. Utah is the weirdest ****ing state I've ever been to. I haven't been to all 50, so maybe there is a weirder one, doubtful though. :D
The weirdness of Utah is only exceeded by the weirdness of New Mexico, in my experience.

An easier way to say all this is: Colorado Prep Hoops is pretty much A$$.

Last edited:
So when we talk about CO HS hoops being of a lesser quality than other states, and therefore CO players don't pan out as often as those of other states - don't these guys all play AAU ball? Meaning they play against players from all over the country? And that's what their ratings are usually based on - not HS ball?

I guess I don't buy that our 4 star players from CO flop just because they're from CO.

So when we talk about CO HS hoops being of a lesser quality than other states, and therefore CO players don't pan out as often as those of other states - don't these guys all play AAU ball? Meaning they play against players from all over the country? And that's what their ratings are usually based on - not HS ball?

I guess I don't buy that our 4 star players from CO flop just because they're from CO.
Different teams, different levels, different competition. It's not apples to apples.

Different teams, different levels, different competition. It's not apples to apples.

But the same players, right?

I think it's fair because it's basketball where they are facing national competition, and the ratings are based on going against those athletes. It's one thing to say that a kid from Denver is a 4 star because he's playing only against other CO players, it's another to say he's a 4 star because of how he looked against kids his own age from TX, CA, etc.

CO is definitely behind other states in basketball (football, too), but I think it's overly simplistic to say we're having trouble developing these kids because of CO HS hoops.

But the same players, right?

I think it's fair because it's basketball where they are facing national competition, and the ratings are based on going against those athletes. It's one thing to say that a kid from Denver is a 4 star because he's playing only against other CO players, it's another to say he's a 4 star because of how he looked against kids his own age from TX, CA, etc.

CO is definitely behind other states in basketball (football, too), but I think it's overly simplistic to say we're having trouble developing these kids because of CO HS hoops.
Generally, CO AAU teams are not going to these tournaments and playing in the elite brackets. They're playing against other talented teams, but not the guys who are going to Duke, Kansas and Kentucky. Way back in the day when I was playing, we had a really good team from Colorado (I was the 10th out of 10 on the roster). We had 2 guys who played in the Mountain West and D2 Colorado players, and a couple really good athletes who ended up playing college football. We went pretty far in a couple tournaments... in the third bracket. The top bracket had guys that were going to straight to the pros or one and done, and other high major players. Lebron would've played in this bracket, but he broke his wrist that summer. The 2nd bracket was made up of teams that had a couple high major players, the rest of the team would be made up of guys who at least played college basketball. Teams that Colorado puts out there have at best one high major player, maybe a mid major player, some D2 guys some guys like me who never play college basketball.

Generally, CO AAU teams are not going to these tournaments and playing in the elite brackets. They're playing against other talented teams, but not the guys who are going to Duke, Kansas and Kentucky. Way back in the day when I was playing, we had a really good team from Colorado (I was the 10th out of 10 on the roster). We had 2 guys who played in the Mountain West and D2 Colorado players, and a couple really good athletes who ended up playing college football. We went pretty far in a couple tournaments... in the third bracket. The top bracket had guys that were going to straight to the pros or one and done, and other high major players. Lebron would've played in this bracket, but he broke his wrist that summer. The 2nd bracket was made up of teams that had a couple high major players, the rest of the team would be made up of guys who at least played college basketball. Teams that Colorado puts out there have at best one high major player, maybe a mid major player, some D2 guys some guys like me who never play college basketball.

Oh. Well never mind then, lol.

In this era of the portal and CU relaxing its transfer admissions, I think Tad can be more selective with in-state recruiting but go hard after in-state guys who developed and proved their D1 chops elsewhere.

All spot on.

Additionally those Colorado AAU teams are going to tourneys in high talent states a couple times a year, they rest of the time they are playing other regional teams again from states with similar talent to Colorado.

AAU teams in high talent areas are playing a full schedule of high talent teams. Basketball is a sport where players develop over time and competition. Playing quality opponents all the time instead of a few times develops talent.

The president of Utah Valley. She's only missed 1 game this year, goes to most sports events and keeps 2 sets of pom-poms, because she wears them out. I realize Phil isn't the pres, but it would be nice to see him do something similar.

The president of Utah Valley. She's only missed 1 game this year, goes to most sports events and keeps 2 sets of pom-poms, because she wears them out. I realize Phil isn't the pres, but it would be nice to see him do something similar.

We need someone with that mindset as our next Chancellor. Not doing it just for politics and to be important, but with passion for the CU community.

We need someone with that mindset as our next Chancellor. Not doing it just for politics and to be important, but with passion for the CU community.
I'll give Saliman credit. I saw him at a lot of basketball games. He traveled for the women's tourney games as well. Not courtside with pom-poms, but he did have CU sticker on his face.

Last edited:
Back