What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

‘21 WA QB Clay Millen (Signed to CSU)

More talented players? Yeah, I do. Just because Darrell Scott and Marcus Houston didn’t live up to their 5* rating, doesn’t mean CU should be passing on those caliber of players.
There are players every year all over the country who don't live up to their ratings. There are also a higher percentage of those highly rated players who turn out to be difference makers than you get with lower rated players.

All of the nice garbage that we have tried to convince ourselves of since Hawkins got here has unfortunately proven to be faulty. Character helps, players who hustle and are smart help, a few players get overlooked or develop into stars. Good coaching can win you a game or two a year.

What we have really seen though is that in college football the team with the most talent more often than not wins. The only way that we get back to winning on a consistent basis is by recruiting good enough talent to win on a consistent basis and taking leftovers and MWC level guys and the like isn't going to do it.

I do think when one of the very top level guys is willing to look at a school that hasn't won much recently you do need to ask why he might be available. There are some guys who have character issues (Lynn Katoa) or injury issues (Max Tuiotu-Mariner) who may not be worth the risk but if you can get talent that is going to help you then take it.

If HCKD is going to be successful in Boulder it is going to depend almost entirely on his ability to bring in talent. If our recruiting classes don't improve, and that also means consistently pulling in some guys who are difference makers, then we are going to continue to bounce off the bottom of the league standings.

Clay Millen not only looks to be one of those players who should come in and make an impact early but he is also at a position that has the ability to have an outsized impact. A talented enough QB can lift the performance level of your team and cover for some holes.

We have a bad record with 5 star players.

The point I am trying to make is some of us are too obsessed with rankings. Sure I will like 5 star players, but there are other things I am looking for like high ceiling to go with the talent. Good kid, smart in the classroom, good work ethic and etc.

There’s an article on 247 that said 63% of the 2016-2017 class 5* players got drafted in 2020. That doesn’t include others from that class who might get drafted next year. That % was 3x the % of 4* kids who were drafted and over 10x the % of 3* who were drafted.

The league has far more 3* types than 4/5* because of the sheer volume of them. Of course most people can understand this, but bb seems to struggle.

CU has lived in the mid to low 3* range in recruiting for over a decade and it’s achieved exactly 1 winning season during that timeframe.

BigBang doesn’t want “unicorn RBs, and etc”, but he wants all the Timmy Try-Hards and the one unicorn season every 10 years.

CU problem is we have not had good coaches since Gary Barnett. And we have not recruited well. It has nothing to do with how many 5 star recruits we have recruited. Alabama is a good team because they have good coaching to go with recruiting well. I will not reject a 5 star recruit. It is not that I don't want 5 star recruits. My point is the ranking is not everything in the evaluation process.

CU problem is we have not had good coaches since Gary Barnett. And we have not recruited well. It has nothing to do with how many 5 star recruits we have recruited. Alabama is a good team because they have good coaching to go with recruiting well. I will not reject a 5 star recruit. It is not that I don't want 5 star recruits. My point is the ranking is not everything in the evaluation process.
Coaching?

So tell us, which team in the playoff, in a major bowl, even in the top 25 from a P5 conference had comparable talent to CU in the last few years?

I'll help, none. Every single one had better talent across the board than we have had.

I'm not an absolute believer in the ranking systems, I tend to put more value in the competing offers.

Bottom line though is that offers and ratings more often than not go together and more importantly teams that recruit more players who are more highly recruited not just tend but virtually always end up significantly ahead of those that don't.

So if you have good coaching and recruit well, then you’ll have a good team. Any more knowledge you’d like to drop on us?

The kid has a strong arm. Will have to work on his mechanics, but solid prospect. I really don't care about 4 star or 3 star or 2 star. The rating system in high school should be scrapped or banned.

There are so many 2 star players playing in the NFL right now. I am more interested in recruiting good kids that have a good work ethic in high school. Players that want to learn, players that are coach able. Players with a high ceiling that can be developed.
CSU has a team filled with those kinds of guys.

We have a bad record with 5 star players.

The point I am trying to make is some of us are too obsessed with rankings. Sure I will like 5 star players, but there are other things I am looking for like high ceiling to go with the talent. Good kid, smart in the classroom, good work ethic and etc.

And kids that Want To Be Buffs!

Kids that want to be buffs is number one on my list.

giphy.gif

QB evaluation of high school kids has huge margin for error. 4-5 years later it's still tough (See Broncos). I'd you believe your QB coach can identify and develop, it's a position that I'm less concerned with.

But I have no idea if this QB coach is that guy, nor do I suspect he's in his dream job. I hope he gives us a couple great years and becomes in demand again as an OC.

Elway agrees! Most of the NFL fails more than not. Jimbo Fisher has as well, and on and on. Success rate after a couple blue chips per year is really bad compared to all other positions.

https://www.si.com/college/colorado/recruiting/cu-buffs-tale-of-the-tape-clay-millen

These take a while to put together so I hope you guys take some time and watch the video. I need some film breakdown software but need to build up my bankroll first. I didn't do a quarterback comparison mostly because I couldn't think of a good one. I can't help but think Justin Herbert when I watch him but I'm not convinced. Any of you guys have a good one?

Back