What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'21 WY C Lawson Lovering (SIGNED to COLORADO)

dance dancing GIF

A bit better? I suggest you find more tape on Chet Holmgren if you think he and Lovering are comparable.

Yeah, I think Chet Holmgren is a more dynamic athlete compared to Lovering, and he has better ball handling skills. However, I don't think Chet Holmgren is a top 5 prospect, but he is still very good.

With all that said, I like Lovering a lot and think he can really make an impact during his time at CU. Get some meat on him and continue developing his skills, and he can really be special as an upperclassman.

....yeah, not trying to jack Lovering's thread, but after watching his game last night, I have to eat crow a bit. Medford, you were right...Chet is LEGIT. I still am not as hyped on his as others, but he was way better than I remembered from his highlight reels. I was VERY wrong - clearly a top 5 prospect.

Back to Lovering though - glad he's signed. Looking forward to watching his career as a Buff and hopefully beyond!

Agreed. He looks to be a 11/6 guy his Frosh year if he gets the minutes.
It seems like all of our bigs who are good enough to start as frosh, struggle with foul trouble. To some extent, that's a discussion about how Tad manages guys' minutes in game, but adjusting to D1 guards and wings coming off the PNR seems like the biggest "speed of the game" issue he might face with us.

It seems like all of our bigs who are good enough to start as frosh, struggle with foul trouble. To some extent, that's a discussion about how Tad manages guys' minutes in game, but adjusting to D1 guards and wings coming off the PNR seems like the biggest "speed of the game" issue he might face with us.
Is this a discussion about Tad managing guys, or all freshman struggling with foul trouble?

Other than the freaks, I think this is pretty standard across all of college basketball.

Good point.

Lovering looks like a really outstanding prospect. You just don't see guys that big who have some of the skills he has and he seems like he works hard to keep getting better.

Coming out of the Rocky Mountain region though, especially Wyoming he will be well behind kids from much more populated areas like California, Texas, and the Eastern Seaboard in that he will have had much less opportunity to compete against other guys his size and especially big guys with skills.

Even if Lovering is a much better athlete it is still a shock to get out there against a guy who is 6'9" who played HS in LA and has 3 years of college experience.

Good point.

Lovering looks like a really outstanding prospect. You just don't see guys that big who have some of the skills he has and he seems like he works hard to keep getting better.

Coming out of the Rocky Mountain region though, especially Wyoming he will be well behind kids from much more populated areas like California, Texas, and the Eastern Seaboard in that he will have had much less opportunity to compete against other guys his size and especially big guys with skills.

Even if Lovering is a much better athlete it is still a shock to get out there against a guy who is 6'9" who played HS in LA and has 3 years of college experience.
I will say Josh Scott averaged double figures his freshman season though even after being injured his entire junior year of HS. And Wesley Gordon as a redshirt frosh averaged like 6, 6, and 1. I'd argue it's a bigger jump as a guard from the rocky mountain region. IE (Nique, Dom, Xavier talton, etc) I'm pretty confident that while there will be a learning curve with fouls, Lawson will make a contribution from day 1.

I will say Josh Scott averaged double figures his freshman season though even after being injured his entire junior year of HS. And Wesley Gordon as a redshirt frosh averaged like 6, 6, and 1. I'd argue it's a bigger jump as a guard from the rocky mountain region. IE (Nique, Dom, Xavier talton, etc) I'm pretty confident that while there will be a learning curve with fouls, Lawson will make a contribution from day 1.
I see some things from Lawson that make me think he can adjust to the college game and be successful early. He doesn't just rely on being bigger than everyone else. He has a quality outside shot, can handle the ball and dribble for a big man, and can pass himself open (good enough passer that defenders have to respect that element of his game instead of just trying to stop him from getting a good shot off.)

He doesn't though have a lot of time against mature big men.

Don't forget that Scott and Gordon had the huge advantage of being together in the Colorado Springs area. They faced each other often on the floor in HS games, AAU, and frequented the same gyms for pick-up ball.

Also the year they came out Colorado also had 6'9" Marcus Holt at Rangeview who ended up at CSU and 6'9" Kaileb Rodriguez who signed with Cal. That was almost a unicorn year for big men in Colorado and all of those guys got the chance to play against each other and get used to a variety of big men.

Watch his film. His footwork and quickness is what elevates his game. He's pretty freakin' fluid and has great body control for a 7'0. Watch his shot blocking. It's a big reason he's the #46 recruit in the nation. He'll be just fine. I'll stand by assessment of what he can hit his Freshman year - 11/6. And you can save this post.

Good point.

Am I wrong to assume that he played AAU/club basketball against elite competition?

Am I wrong to assume that he played AAU/club basketball against elite competition?
Not wrong, he played travelling AAU ball and at times got to see some top competition.

That isn't the same though as the kids who see top competition year around within a short drive of their home.

I think he is going to be an excellent player for us. Just don't be surprised if he doesn't step out on the floor and look like a seasoned veteran right from the start.

Wyoming is a great place to grow up (according to many of those who have grown up there) but it isn't the idea environment for developing as a big man in basketball.

I wouldn't put too much value in those stats. Seems like 70% of the coaches in Wyoming don't keep stats or don't bother to report them. That sh!t blows me away. Lazy bastards.
Yeah, I don't think his ppg means much as all. I imagine Lawson was double-teamed 90%+ of the minutes he played in high school.

Back