What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'23 TNFR ATH Travis Hunter (Signed to COLORADO)

I used to watch Michael Westbrook destroy people in pickup games at the Rec Center. Then, one day the doughy hapless forward (center?...don't really remember) from the basketball team that we all hated because he was uncoordinated and awful played in a pickup game against Westbrook. He made Westbrook look like a child and I remember forming an impression of just how good D1 basketball players really are, even when they're horrible.
I once played pickup at the rec center against Nick Mohr (played for Patton when I was a student) - this was probably 1999, he and I were about the same size and he didn’t look like much to me when I saw CU games, plus I played HS basketball so I was filled with unjustified overconfidence. He completely humiliated me and seemed to enjoy it. He went up for a dunk over me and as he hung on the rim after the jam he was basically sitting on my shoulder and air humped me as he hung on the rim. I never played hoops at the rec again in my life.

For you old ****ers that don't know (like I didn't 12 months ago), getting Deestroying on campus is HUGE for recruiting. I'd bet 99% of all high school football players know who he is and/or follow his social media accounts. His content is great, and if you haven't watched you should check it out.

Backstory: My 15yo son asked me to take a picture with him and Deestroying a year ago at 7v7 tournament in Phoenix. He seemed like a really nice guy (talked to my kid for quite a while afterwards), but he is pretty short (so I didn't think he was a former NFL player), and he didn't look like any celebrity I'd ever seen. I was stumped, so I asked my son who I just took a picture of. He said, "Dad, that was Deestroying", and I was like, "Never heard of him, what does he do?". With that comment, I was immediately subjected to severe ridicule and laughter from my son and the rest of the team (I got vibes of being some clueless dad unknowingly taking a picture of his daughter with the New Kids on the Block in 1990).

Anyhow, my son runs into Deestroying a month later at another tournament in Nevada. Dude remembers my kid, tells him he's gonna try to get to Colorado to do a segment with his HS team in the fall (he never did), and wants to grab another selfie. After posting a second photo to his socials with Deestroying, my son became some sort of cult celebrity amongst his buddies. LOL

Not to Mountain this post, but this is another example of Prime and team knowing exactly how to play the recruiting game with the current generation of players. He was at Jackson State over the summer, so appears he's building a relationship with Team Prime. Love it.
Dee is the most popular football youtuber in the world and extremely popular with Gen Z. He was a former college kicker at UCF who gave up his scholarship for youtube or more like got kicked out by the NCAA. Obviously pre NIL.

I watch him quite a bit. Travis is probably the best HS football player ever so his #1 overall recruit isn't the same as it usually is and my cousin was the 1st Gwinnett Co 1st overall recruit in the nation. Even he wasn't as good as Travis or close. That said, I was the one to tell my cousin to play football and that he would be a top recruit in the nation when he was 7. He never played football at that point, just baseball. His first year playing football, 42 touchdowns in one season. Let's say, I've been scouting and watching since I've been 11. I got pretty good eyes if I ever cared to go into that career path.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to know this stuff. I don't have a problem with it or anything, but I'm not really into pop culture stuff. A lot of what recruiting and program building is now about is related to association with prestige brands, whether we're talking celebrities (including "influencer" types on social) or fashion/lifestyle goods. I don't care about those things and for the most part they don't reflect my personal values. So I'm trying to acknowledge and be supportive - even encourage fan support, I think - while sticking to football evaluations. I guess I want to be aware of this other stuff while not personally caring about this other stuff.
I'm going through a similar struggle with the recent program emphasis on brand name purses and luggage.

Is this a world I gaf about at all? I don't think so, but maybe I'm missing out on something.

I mentioned in on the 247 thread about what celebrities would we want to see involved with the program that Dee would be the best addition. The guy is a recruiting tool like no other, and I hope CU gives him a ton of access both pre and during the season!

Back