What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'23 TNFR RB Kavosiey Smoke (Signed to Colorado)

I don't think it's inexcusable when it just doesn't work. We average like 2 YPC. Why would we run it more than 20 times per game?

I keep hearing the answer is to bring another OL onto the field at Hback or whatever. You know, a non-athletic goon who can't block in space and has no ability to make an offensive move of any sort.

Perhaps we should bring in 10 OL and bunch them and just put a RB at QB?

Breaking news: The D gets to adjust their personnel as well. Having more guys on the field who are not a threat to do anything whatsoever but block is not a winning scheme. Somehow we ended up with an OL that can't runblock and not a single TE. Harrison has been great, but he's a big WR.

All schemes suck if you can't run block and the D doesn't have to respect it. They can bring in their speed guys and cause fits.
Wilkerson is a JAG and Edwards is being made to look bad by being misused.

It’s on the OLine first and foremost but how are we not seeing two well sized upperclassmen get any carries after they proved they have what it takes at other P5 programs?

Wilkerson is a JAG and Edwards is being made to look bad by being misused.

It’s on the OLine first and foremost but how are we not seeing two well sized upperclassmen get any carries after they proved they have what it takes at other P5 programs?
Wilkerson has shown he's the best RB on the team this year. Hits the hole hard, runs angry, forward lean on contact for extra yards, actually gets a piece on pass pro. Yet he gets minimal playing time. That's a coaching issue pure and simple and should be a great cause for alarm.

Wilkerson has shown he's the best RB on the team this year. Hits the hole hard, runs angry, forward lean on contact for extra yards, actually gets a piece on pass pro. Yet he gets minimal playing time. That's a coaching issue pure and simple and should be a great cause for alarm.
Edwards had one really ridiculously amazing game. It was against a team that didn’t know what was coming for them. Since then he has been criminally misused by this staff.

Since then, Wilkerson has been the guy that plays like a running back should, but doesn’t get enough chances. Hank has been a head scratcher, McCaskill seemed to do well, but never played and may have been too timid coming back from injury. Lastly, Smoke never got a chance. At some point throughout this experiment, there should have been signs that he wasn’t going to be used as hoped for when the season started. If he noticed these, he should have bolted away much like how Chance Main did…

Edwards had one really ridiculously amazing game. It was against a team that didn’t know what was coming for them. Since then he has been criminally misused by this staff.

Since then, Wilkerson has been the guy that plays like a running back should, but doesn’t get enough chances. Hank has been a head scratcher, McCaskill seemed to do well, but never played and may have been too timid coming back from injury. Lastly, Smoke never got a chance. At some point throughout this experiment, there should have been signs that he wasn’t going to be used as hoped for when the season started. If he noticed these, he should have bolted away much like how Chance Main did…
Wilkerson is CP's guy from JSU which makes this all even more of a head scratcher. As for Edwards, somebody decided they were going to use him as a 1st and second down back after TCU. The mere fact he was our primary pass pro back and inside run option for 8 games at 5-9 170 says everything you need to know about Flea's ability to coach the position.

Hell, bring back Hagan...

On the undefeated thing, that's how a player should think. Not going to argue with it or criticize it.

On the selfishness point, I believe what he is saying is accurate. When you bring in a lot of transfers, it comes with the understanding that they are mercenary to an extent - choosing your school because it was the best deal for yourself either financially and/or to showcase your ability (maybe your last chance) for an NFL opportunity. This is exacerbated when not joining a winning program with an established culture and player leadership. It was always going to be less than ideal this season with risk of significant issues if the team wasn't winning.

On the undefeated thing, that's how a player should think. Not going to argue with it or criticize it.

On the selfishness point, I believe what he is saying is accurate. When you bring in a lot of transfers, it comes with the understanding that they are mercenary to an extent - choosing your school because it was the best deal for yourself either financially and/or to showcase your ability (maybe your last chance) for an NFL opportunity. This is exacerbated when not joining a winning program with an established culture and player leadership. It was always going to be less than ideal this season with risk of significant issues if the team wasn't winning.
You want your players to be confident, not egregiously unaware of how awful the most important position groups on your team are. I want our program out of the news for being delusional

So you think we have the guys in the trenches to compete to be undefeated because Kavosiey Smoke played 4 years at Kentucky and said so? Interesting.
Against our schedule, I believe no one wasn't beatable with the talent on the roster. Oregon is the exception in that it would have taken A-game level execution along with some bounces favoring us and having all of our key players healthy. But, yes, I believe the talent is much better than the record and that we haven't come close to seeing this team put it all together and perform to its capabilities for 4 quarters - and I think Smoke's statement reveals some of the "why" of that.

Against our schedule, I believe no one wasn't beatable with the talent on the roster. Oregon is the exception in that it would have taken A-game level execution along with some bounces favoring us and having all of our key players healthy. But, yes, I believe the talent is much better than the record and that we haven't come close to seeing this team put it all together and perform to its capabilities for 4 quarters - and I think Smoke's statement reveals some of the "why" of that.
I think the talent on this roster is precisely in line with the W/L record. The assistant coaches are all Meh, which doesn’t help. Smoke sounds like a great kid and I wish him all the best in life but he was a career backup for most of his time at Kentucky. These portal guys need Strategy Counselors, if there are such things. If he wanted to have a greater chance of PT (and I agree he probably should have gotten more here) he should have transferred to a C+ team in the Sunbelt or CUSA.

Jesus, nik. Now you just sound like a Nebraska fan. Literally saying a 4-8 team has the talent to be undefeated.

There isn’t a single OL on this team that would start for another Pac 12 program right now. This team is 8-9 impact starters away from competing for a 9+ win season, let alone the 10-15 legitimate depth guys that are needed.

We haven’t put together a full game, but maybe that’s because we don’t have the talent/coaching necessary to do that.

I think the talent on this roster is precisely in line with the W/L record. The assistant coaches are all Meh, which doesn’t help. Smoke sounds like a great kid and I wish him all the best in life but he was a career backup for most of his time at Kentucky. These portal guys need Strategy Counselors, if there are such things. If he wanted to have a greater chance of PT (and I agree he probably should have gotten more here) he should have transferred to a C+ team in the Sunbelt or CUSA.
The talent we have on this roster is worthy of 6-6. We got straight up coached out of 2 wins this year. I'll die on this mountain.

he's still an average back but definitely plays with more raw heart and desire than anyone else on the offense. I ate my words a bit after his "performance" last night

Jesus, nik. Now you just sound like a Nebraska fan. Literally saying a 4-8 team has the talent to be undefeated.

There isn’t a single OL on this team that would start for another Pac 12 program right now. This team is 8-9 impact starters away from competing for a 9+ win season, let alone the 10-15 legitimate depth guys that are needed.

We haven’t put together a full game, but maybe that’s because we don’t have the talent/coaching necessary to do that.
How many of the losses do you think were no-hopers even if the team had played well that day?

Also, I'm not saying we should be undefeated. Most of the games would have been in the 30%-60% win probability range and you're not going to win all of them. But I believe that a 7- or 8-win season is where this team should have landed.

he's still an average back but definitely plays with more raw heart and desire than anyone else on the offense. I ate my words a bit after his "performance" last night
Agree on the average tag. But, he still was our best option this year and proved it each time he got out there. And yet we all got to watch Edwards get swallowed every time he touched the ball, McCaskill run like he was made of glass and Hankerson bumble, stumble and fumble all over the place.

How many of the losses do you think were no-hopers even if the team had played well that day?

Also, I'm not saying we should be undefeated. Most of the games would have been in the 30%-60% win probability range and you're not going to win all of them. But I believe that a 7- or 8-win season is where this team should have landed.
In reality, Oregon, UCLA and Washington State were all no hopers and possibly Utah next week. I would say USC was a no hoper, but we had a great comeback that made it look a lot closer. I agree that 7 wins was very realistic, but TCU and CSU were also 50/50 games that CU happened to come out on top, so 4-5 wins is probably about right.

The point is that we aren’t particularly close to being capable of going undefeated in any P5 conference. Need to replace 40-50% of the starters and all of them have to be true impact players, and we need 15ish new depth guys who can play.

In reality, Oregon, UCLA and Washington State were all no hopers and possibly Utah next week. I would say USC was a no hoper, but we had a great comeback that made it look a lot closer. I agree that 7 wins was very realistic, but TCU and CSU were also 50/50 games that CU happened to come out on top, so 4-5 wins is probably about right.

The point is that we aren’t particularly close to being capable of going undefeated in any P5 conference. Need to replace 40-50% of the starters and all of them have to be true impact players, and we need 15ish new depth guys who can play.
Oregon State is also a no hope. Our defense is not built to stop their run

We lost that by 7 points despite a major blunder. That's a "no hoper" to have gone differently?
Yes, I would also put USC in this category. Yes we lost by only 7 points, but we can not stop them when the game matters. I fully believe if we don't make mistake, if we tie the game, if we pin them down to 1 yard line, eventually they will score. I see Oregon State and USC close to "no hope" in terms of matchup.

Wilkerson and Hankerson should have been the main backs with Edwards getting situation touches. The running back rotations were the most perplexling on the team. Like Flea though he had to use every guy in his room.

It's saying something that the running back rotations were the worst because the substitution patterns at LB and cornerback we're horrendous as well.

Back