What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A few thoughts from Oregon

There is an obvious talent gap between the Buffs and Oregon. Even if we started closing that gap, by the time we get close, Phil Knight is going to be able to give endorsement money to the best 200 players in the country. The 85 scholarship limit will be a non issue. They may all be walk-ons making 200k a year in endorsement money.

The real question I have is how has Utah been able to compete so well while we have floundered? Many here keep saying "recruit, recurit, recurit", which is true. But that is what was said about Hawkins, Embree, Mac 2, and now MT. How is it that Utah is able to get talent and we can't?
Same with Wisconsin.

There is an obvious talent gap between the Buffs and Oregon. Even if we started closing that gap, by the time we get close, Phil Knight is going to be able to give endorsement money to the best 200 players in the country. The 85 scholarship limit will be a non issue. They may all be walk-ons making 200k a year in endorsement money.

The real question I have is how has Utah been able to compete so well while we have floundered? Many here keep saying "recruit, recurit, recurit", which is true. But that is what was said about Hawkins, Embree, Mac 2, and now MT. How is it that Utah is able to get talent and we can't?
Two words. Kyle and Whittingham.

They have the strongest local Poly population in the country and those dudes dominate the trenches and LB positions. Utah’s skill position guys (WRs, QBs, RBs, DBs) haven’t been overwhelmingly elite or anything. Some good players here and there, but their OL/DL has given them the ability over the years to compete with just about anyone and they’ve slowly upgraded talent at other positions.

Buffs haven’t been very good on either OL or DL for about a decade and a half.

I was thinking the same thing about U of A last night! Vs Washington, they looked bigger stronger faster than us and they have an elite (although stupid) QB and an elite RB. I think the same could be said for about a dozen schools west of the Mississippi. In fact, I would say that only Texas, A&M, USC, UCLA, Oregon and Stanford have an inherent recruiting advantage over us but yet we keep sucking.
It’s starting to take its toll on my well being!

I was thinking the same thing about U of A last night! Vs Washington, they looked bigger stronger faster than us and they have an elite (although stupid) QB and an elite RB. I think the same could be said for about a dozen schools west of the Mississippi. In fact, I would say that only Texas, A&M, USC, UCLA, Oregon and Stanford have an inherent recruiting advantage over us but yet we keep sucking.
It’s starting to take its toll on my well being!

We will be fine. People need to relax

I hope you are right. I’m a patient man but it has been a long 15 years.
And you can’t fix that 15 years overnight. We all knew it was going to be a rocky season. Most outside of our fan base expected us to win 4 or 5 games Yet still think Tucker is a great hire.

And you can’t fix that 15 years overnight. We all knew it was going to be a rocky season. Most outside of our fan base expected us to win 4 or 5 games Yet still think Tucker is a great hire.
I definitely feel like Tucker is a great hire. I just am beginning to wonder if there is something bigger going on. Even at the end of our GB era it just felt like we were swimming up hill. I’m worried that it is something systemic. There is no excuse for schools like Minnesota, U of A, Utah etc to be that much better than us for that long.

I think you're right on all points.
I saw a team that was literally outmatched all over the field. Injuries played a huge role in that.

What opened my eyes was when I went to the AFA game vs Fresno State on Saturday. I saw a team that was motivated, hustling 100%, ball hawking, doing everything they could control and doing it well. I don't see thta with CU right now.

I think they can turn this season around, but they need a major confidence boost. If they can get a win this week I think we can salvage a bowl game. If we don't, and if we play crappy, our season is done iwth MAYBE 5 wins this year at best.

I trust Mel Tucker....I don't trust Montez and co, and our D is in shambles.

Here's some cool photos from the AFA game.
Three of my kids were in a group that sang the National Anthem...you can see them near the end of the group walking off the field. My oldest has the red hat on and Falcons jersey, my daughter is next to him with the long hair and coat, and my younger son is on their left with the Falcons jersey on.

The last pic is fuzzy cause it's an iPhone 'live' photo....looks clear on the phone but didn't transition well to pc.

afa1.jpg
afa2.jpg
afa3.jpg

Reset your clock. This will take four years. Three, maybe.

I said this over the weekend-I get that you've got a scheme defensively and you've got a vision of where you want to take this thing offensively, but you've still gotta maximize whats here in year one. There's a senior QB who is good enough to start at a fair amount of P5 programs, a top 15 WR group in the country, and studs like Taylor/Landman who are obvious downhill players as shown by LY (and are spending too much time in coverage). Too much talent here to warrant a year 0.

Let's keep one thing in mind-This isn't a Georgia Tech/Oregon State/this team when FHCMM got here where the roster needed to be flipped (which takes 2-3 recruiting classes to do) before we can see any sort of progress. Mel Tucker is a big time football coach-I expect more out of him because of his resume and because there's a hell of a lot more functional (for lack of a better word) talent here than there was/is in the situations I listed above. I expect this program to at worse be playing in Cheez-It type of bowls consistently with a 2016/2001 type of year where we contend for championships every so often.

I hope to be, I don't wanna die just yet, hope we don't lose anybody else either. (y)
I was talking more about being around as fans, as opposed to not being around generally. I have to admit, one decent season out of 12 is hard to stay engaged in...I suppose I am becoming pretty apathetic as a fan.

I said this over the weekend-I get that you've got a scheme defensively and you've got a vision of where you want to take this thing offensively, but you've still gotta maximize whats here in year one. There's a senior QB who is good enough to start at a fair amount of P5 programs, a top 15 WR group in the country, and studs like Taylor/Landman who are obvious downhill players as shown by LY (and are spending too much time in coverage). Too much talent here to warrant a year 0.

Let's keep one thing in mind-This isn't a Georgia Tech/Oregon State/this team when FHCMM got here where the roster needed to be flipped (which takes 2-3 recruiting classes to do) before we can see any sort of progress. Mel Tucker is a big time football coach-I expect more out of him because of his resume and because there's a hell of a lot more functional (for lack of a better word) talent here than there was/is in the situations I listed above. I expect this program to at worse be playing in Cheez-It type of bowls consistently with a 2016/2001 type of year where we contend for championships every so often.
Viva Cheez-It Bowl! How pathetic is it that a Cheez-It Bowl berth seems almost unattainable? I would be ecstatic, and munching my way through the Holidays if it could only be true.

I was talking more about being around as fans, as opposed to not being around generally. I have to admit, one decent season out of 12 is hard to stay engaged in...I suppose I am becoming pretty apathetic as a fan.
I know you were, just making a bit of a joke. I'll be a fan for life, but that's me.

Am all in...20 years with season duckets. But.... Play calling has been atrocious in the red zone. Our defensive scheme in first halfs awful. Gasher plays that have little to do with talent. Recruiting not much better than predecessor. Inauspicious start.

Reset your clock. This will take four years. Three, maybe.

Maybe if we were playing in the SEC he'd need 3 or 4 years. We're in the ****ty PAC12 South. I expect a Bowl game from the new staff. If not then why did we even change coaches?

If we hadn't lost games at HOME to AFA and AZ we'd essentially be there already.

We rank 104 out of 130 in penalties. At least we're in the TOP 25 in something. Our penalties per game exceed last year.

Maybe if we were playing in the SEC he'd need 3 or 4 years. We're in the ****ty PAC12 South. I expect a Bowl game from the new staff. If not then why did we even change coaches?

If we hadn't lost games at HOME to AFA and AZ we'd essentially be there already.

We rank 104 out of 130 in penalties. At least we're in the TOP 25 in something. Our penalties per game exceed last year.
It does strike me as inconsistent that MikMac left the roster in better shape than he found it and our hot rod new coach has a D that is 123/129 in total D and 103rd scoring. I get that there are injuries but that is utterly pathetic and giving the D staff a pass is baloney. I have a hard time believing there isn't a way to get the D talent we have, injuries and all, to a point where they surrender less than a quarter mile a game in yardage, and hold somebody, anybody to less than 30 a game. More so when your HC is a defensive guru.

Losing to AFA, a middling Mtn. weenie team is the real crusher. I do not think losing to AZ is the end of the world, they are a pretty good team, but still that game was there for the taking if the D could muster a stop somewhere along the line in the 2d half.

Still, I hope for the best. I like HCMT's approach, but after a dozen years in the cellar, save one, I am impatient.

Last edited:
montez starts at most p5 schools. to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. tony brown shows he's a legit starter. kd too.

we've started a bajillion freshmen or other guys who have little experience on defense. our best defensive player has been out for 2+weeks. this **** ain't rocket science.

if you want to lay blame, then blame the so-called db guru, mm, for not bringing in anywhere near enough dbs.

as i said before, the ol and rbs have over-indexed. had we stayed healthy on defense, we could have been competitive. we didn't/ we aren't.

recruit.recruit.recruit.

positives: the team is tough and plays hard and doesn't quit. they aren't rolling over. i believe we have the right head coach, but we need to get better athletes. it.ain't.rocket.science.
Which schools need a QB who is terrified of contact, cant make reads past the first, and has lousy footwork? Looking to trade.

I was thinking we would scheme our way to some wins..that's what you do when you have less talent.

Same with Wisconsin.
I definitely feel like Tucker is a great hire. There is no excuse for schools like Minnesota, U of A, Utah etc to be that much better than us for that long.
Wiscy will get exposed as soon as they play an elite team. They don't recruit lights out either and Barry Alvarez has his footprint all over that team, Bielema left that team and he is sucking balls at arky. Minny, here is who they've played...SD state, Fresno State, Ga Southern, Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska. AND the next 2 are Rutgers and Maryland??? I can't wait till the boat rowing f*cker plays Penn state, wiscy and Iowa. If CU played that schedule they would be 6-0 and 8-0 after Rutgers and Maryland.

Tucker will get it going and he will need to dip into some juco talent this year. Not sold so far on this d coordinator. BUT maybe he needs more pieces. Anyways this week is leach and the Buffs will adjust and play them tight me thinks. If there is one ting Tucker needs its a freakin stud QB. Montez is the biggest head scratcher of all time! All the tools but goes braindead sometimes. That kid needs to be sniffing ammonia before every series to get woke up.

Oregon is a conference outlier in terms of recruiting. It is the Nike thing and except for a few years, they have been pretty dominant over the last 20 years. Football there, is like it was here in the 90's--it is a football crazy school. We have not played Utah yet this season, but I've watched about 1/2 of their games (only thing I like about the Pac12 network is games in 60) and the talent-gap looks close (guys 1-35 on their roster), except they have more depth and are healthier (guys 35+ on their roster). The difference with certain teams like Utah, Wisconsin, Iowa and I could name a few others is the continuity of their coach or coaches and the team's system. Wisconsin has been through coaches, but Barry Alzerez (sp?) still calls the shots. If you get a coach with a system in there that works, they just refill the system year after year. Their younger players are brought up in the system, if they are a 4* or 5* recruits they may play right away, if not they get "bigger, stronger, faster" and absorb the system in their youth, then play as Jrs. and Srs. Even if there is an injury, Utah probably has a replacement more prepared to play, than CU.

The sad part about HCMM is he proved he was a turn-around expert, but did not have the goods to establish a dominant team, whether that be better recruiting, motivation, or whatever. We have to be patient with this team and give MT some time. He has much more talent than Embo or HCMM inherited. MT brings a different mind-set. I think that Rick George understands this.

The Oregon facilities, while shiny and new, aren’t all that great, IMO. Perhaps I’m biased towards an actual architectural theme, which is absent there. It’s all very modern and contemporary looking, with lots of glass and stainless steel. I can understand why a kid might like it, but it didn’t strike me as any better than what we have at CU. Worse, in many respects. Obviously I didn’t get a chance to look at the lockerrooms and training facilities outside of their IPF. The IPF looked like any other IPF.
I did like how the IPF was utilized as a giant pregame party venue. We did that for a while and then stopped. We should bring that back.

Watching the game again, the Offense today was super stale!!! No creativity, too much on Montez, especially when he was off. We have some really good skill players in the slots and do not use creative plays to get them the ball more in easy plays like the KC Chiefs do. Stanley, Jackson, Bell, etc. each need easy touches in the open field. Johnson had me against CSU and even NE, but lately the offensive play calling is predictable and teams are racking up film on us and Steven becomes easy to trick.

I finally brought myself to re-watch the game last night. I agree with the offense looking stale. I'm wondering if the tape is out of the offense that the opposing defense is scheming better for the Buffs O. Herbert had much more time to throw than Montez, but Montez was not sacked a whole bunch either. ORE jumped that WR or RB screen pass play every time and it went to 0 or negative yards. The difference was big plays--ORE had many, CU had 2 for 24 yards each.

I'll only talk about the 1st half, since the game was pretty much over by halftime. Except for an ORE turnover fest, CU's defense was unfortunately not going to stop ORE. Perhaps, hold them to approx. 14 points. Despite 3 interceptions, it was 21 points.

So for the 1st half--Neither team had any appreciable rushing yards in the 1st Q. Penalties and negative yard plays doomed the offense. CU had one sustained drive in the 1st Q for 3 points. However, in the 2nd Q CU's running game picked up. CU had their best drive of the game, ending with an interception in the end zone. ORE was perfect in the 1:29 drive, scoring in a minute. The 15 yard penalty did not help. 24-3 at half. All of that being said, on the road against currently the best PAC12 team (definitely the best PAC12 defense) throughout the 1st half, CU was doing fine in the field position battle. CU punted 3 times, ORE punted once and a turn over on downs. ORE had 1 extra possession since they took the ball. The 3rd down conversions, we nearly identical for both teams--not good. One thing I found weird was that CU had 10 1st downs, which I would take in any half on the road. Also, CU won time of possession barely, and used their up-tempo run game some. Just a disaster in the last 2 minutes of the 1st half.

I agree that CU has to evolve and change things offensively. I think they schemed running correctly, as ORE's team speed was too much to run outside the tackles. The passing, I don't know. How much of it is the play? How much of it is what Montez reads before the play? How much is execution? There does seem to be a bunch of check down. I thought the TE was going to be a weapon in this offense, but that has really regressed. Sure there was the bobbled 50%/50% ball. It is not like the TE's are running precise routes with timing or seam plays. That could be the pressure. CU's pocket was not nearly as clean as OREs. I thought Harris was going to be great (catch for 8, catch for 10, catch and run for 15), but his opportunities are limited. I am still not clear on exactly what Brady Russell does? It does not look like he runs true routes, but does look for open space and squat the route yelling I'm open. That is an interception waiting to happen, ergo the 3rd quarter.

For the rest of the interceptions, Montez had a bad read and the other was down the field. I give him props for throwing an interception 20+ yards down the field, even if trying for force one in there. If CU is going to be successful they need to stretch the field one way or another.

In closing, there were a ton of penalties in the game 24 total. I watched a bunch of PAC12 games, and most all of them seem to be penalty fests. I am not all that clear if the PAC12 is just calling things tighter, or CU is really regressing in that area.

Back