What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Accountability

This 1000x.

First of all, they're trying to take a QB that ran for almost 10/carry his senior year and turn him into more of a pocket passer. I guarantee they've told him not to run as much because they can't afford an injury. Second, they have this kid scared ****less that if he makes a simple mistake that he's blown the game for his team.

The best thing they can do at this point is take the reins off from him. Let him know to just go out there and make plays. He'll make some mistakes along the way, and that's fine, just have the positive plays outnumber the bad plays and we can live with that. Chuck the ball around a little and with our line play the way it is, if his first two reads aren't there, just tuck it and use your legs.
Wasn’t there a shot of Dorrell yelling at someone on the sideline after a Lewis run where he got hit (not bad but got hit). We couldn’t see who he was yelling at but we all assumed either Lewis himself or Chiv. That might be an issue.

This 1000x.

First of all, they're trying to take a QB that ran for almost 10/carry his senior year and turn him into more of a pocket passer. I guarantee they've told him not to run as much because they can't afford an injury. Second, they have this kid scared ****less that if he makes a simple mistake that he's blown the game for his team.

The best thing they can do at this point is take the reins off from him. Let him know to just go out there and make plays. He'll make some mistakes along the way, and that's fine, just have the positive plays outnumber the bad plays and we can live with that. Chuck the ball around a little and with our line play the way it is, if his first two reads aren't there, just tuck it and use your legs.
That's langsdorf

Finally, can we please, please, PLEASE stop hiring ex-CU guys to the coaching staff?

It never works out, and I would like to say, "Darrin Chiaverini? yeah, I remember him; he was a pretty solid receiver at CU that played a little while in the NFL." Rather than, "Chaiverini? Yeah, I remember 2021 against Minnesota. **** that guy."

Lewis isn't a pocket QB. All he needs to do is improve in that aspect of his game. Same time, if you aren't getting him running rpo type stuff, it's taking about half his damn skill set away. Trying to make him just a straight pocket passer won't work, and it's ****ing stupid. He needs to be running stuff that fits his ability. That's straight up coaching.

Finally, can we please, please, PLEASE stop hiring ex-CU guys to the coaching staff?

It never works out, and I would like to say, "Darrin Chiaverini? yeah, I remember him; he was a pretty solid receiver at CU that played a little while in the NFL." Rather than, "Chaiverini? Yeah, I remember 2021 against Minnesota. **** that guy."
I feel the need to point out that right now, Darian Hagan is probably one of the top two or three assistants on this team. His position group is talented and deep. I get what you’re saying, but sweeping generalities aren’t very useful. Former players can, and often do, contribute greatly to the success of the program. The trick is to hold them to the same standard that you hold every other coach. By that measure, we are falling spectacularly short with regards to Chev. He’s been given more chances to fail than most other coaches in the same position.

I really wonder about KD’s Rolodex for assistant coaches.

The nepotism in the recruiting department is just plain wrong.
It might be the idea that he is still possibly actually using a Rolodex (for those too young Google it) says a lot.

There is no question that KD is a smart guy and a hard worker, and a quality person as well although there is lots of evidence in college football that doesn't matter much.

Why then in the NFL was he stuck as a WR coach? Why with plenty of resources did he fail at UCLA then not even get a sniff at another head college job? I don't even remember him being mentioned for G5 jobs where a lot of P5 coaches go after being fired.

Is it because he won't adapt and change?

He got fired from UCLA because the talent level decayed due to a lack of quality recruiting. He had plenty of time to evaluated that failure but beyond question seems to be repeating it.

Virtually none of the top college teams run a WC offense or even anything like it. KD seems set on running it even though it doesn't work at the college level even if you have the talent, and he doesn't have the talent.

His staff is mostly older guys with track records of not being effective recruiters but that's who he picked and he sticks with them.

A little clue for him. Older guys who are good coaches are working elsewhere for a lot more money than CU is paying. These are the guys who are available because they aren't that good.

Maybe Dorrell is one of those guys who is best suited for a career as an NFL position coach. Maybe he should be on the administrative end of things. I think it is becoming obvious that he shouldn't be our head coach.

Just an aside but one that applies here.

Nick Saban, yes the guy who keeps bringing home trophies and makes huge money in a job for life situation was on a program a few years ago. Just going from memory but he was asked if he was looking forward to relaxing in the off-season.

He responded by saying he couldn't relax in the off-season. His first order of business was to make a complete evaluation of his program and of the job he was doing. He would define each problem and come up with solutions. He then stated this was something he did each year. The prior year he said he had about 10 key things to fix in the program and an equal number that he needed to fix in his own performance if he wanted the program to succeed.

The prior year he had won the national championship. The best people stay the best because they are honest about their faults and work on fixing them.

So it's Monday morning. What changes have been made?
KD's presser is at 2pm today. I guess we will see if they even disclose anything at that time.

However, there was a poster on 247 claiming Carter will be the starter this week and Chev is on a short leash. Fun

KD's presser is at 2pm today. I guess we will see if they even disclose anything at that time.

However, there was a poster on 247 claiming Carter will be the starter this week and Chev is on a short leash. Fun
Gotta get my bet in and lock down ASU -14.5. On the road for the first time, new Frosh starter at QB, Chev still calling plays, late start in Arizona heat. Christ, gonna be able to buy my Italian investment property in straight cash!

I feel the need to point out that right now, Darian Hagan is probably one of the top two or three assistants on this team. His position group is talented and deep. I get what you’re saying, but sweeping generalities aren’t very useful. Former players can, and often do, contribute greatly to the success of the program. The trick is to hold them to the same standard that you hold every other coach. By that measure, we are falling spectacularly short with regards to Chev. He’s been given more chances to fail than most other coaches in the same position.
See? This is another reason I want CU to stop hiring ex CU guys because now I have to **** all over Hagan, too.

Look- I generally think the RB room is pretty good, but let's look at the results so far this year against FBS competition. In two games:
  • The RBs have rushed 38 times for 107 yards- 2.8 yards per carry
  • The RBs have caught 4 passes for 16 yards- 4 yards per catch (1 of these was Jayles Stacks)
  • In both games, the leading rusher was a QB
I also would agree that Hagan has been one of the few guys who has gotten pretty good production out of unheralded recruits over his tenure, but the flip side of that coin is that he has not recruited very well.

If we're going to hold ex CU coaches to a standard, I'd suggest Hagan has been mediocre.

See? This is another reason I want CU to stop hiring ex CU guys because now I have to **** all over Hagan, too.

Look- I generally think the RB room is pretty good, but let's look at the results so far this year against FBS competition. In two games:
  • The RBs have caught 4 passes for 16 yards- 4 yards per catch (1 of these was Jayles Stacks)
I also would agree that Hagan has been one of the few guys who has gotten pretty good production out of unheralded recruits over his tenure, but the flip side of that coin is that he has not recruited very well.

If we're going to hold ex CU coaches to a standard, I'd suggest Hagan has been mediocre.
The running backs are not the problem with this offense. If you’re unable to see that, then OK.

The fact that Allbuffs can’t decide who’s to blame should tell us something. At the same time, we are pointing the finger at Dorrell, Chev, Langsdorf, and/or Rod. The fact that we don’t know what our offensive philosophy is and who is the architect of it is very telling. Things are so confused, we can’t even identify the problem. The whole offensive staff is a like a soup where the ingredients consist of what’s lying around the refrigerator.

Mediocre is where the bar is set for CU football

The fact that Allbuffs can’t decide who’s to blame should tell us something. At the same time, we are pointing the finger at Dorrell, Chev, Langsdorf, and/or Rod. The fact that we don’t know what our offensive philosophy is and who is the architect of it is very telling. Things are so confused, we can’t even identify the problem. The whole offensive staff is a like a soup where the ingredients consist of what’s lying around the refrigerator.
A good chef can make a great meal with whatever they can find in the refrigerator. Our offensive coaching staff is more like a bunch of cooks. They can read a recipe and put together a meal, but take away a few of the ingredients and they are completely lost.

That is gumbo, but I digress.

A good chef can make a great meal with whatever they can find in the refrigerator. Our offensive coaching staff is more like a bunch of cooks. They can read a recipe and put together a meal, but take away a few of the ingredients and they are completely lost.
In college, my refrigerator generally consisted of a half bottle of Popov vodka and a bag of shrooms in the freezer, and the frig had a wilted half eaten onion and ketchup. Wait, that’s actually not a bad soup. Never mind.

Worst game in many years, coming off the best defensive game in many years. I'm not sold that this season is completely lost. I'm not sold that this season can be redeemed. I'm interested in seeing what the ASU game brings, I think it will be a good indicator of how this team will play out the conference schedule.

Worst game in many years, coming off the best defensive game in many years. I'm not sold that this season is completely lost. I'm not sold that this season can be redeemed. I'm interested in seeing what the ASU game brings, I think it will be a good indicator of how this team will play out the conference schedule.
Armageddon is here. Big Jim is more optimistic than I am.

Back