What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Accountability

For the majority of my life, CU Football has been largely irrelevant and pretty bad. But I sat and watched through the Hawkins and Embree years and still had all the passion and love in the world. I still do, but this is the first time as a fan where I really feel beaten down. I will continue going to every home game, but we canceled our plans to go the LA for that game after what we say Saturday. This somehow feels worse than the last year of Embree. I am just so tired of this team constantly taking 1 step forward and 5 steps backward.

I feel more beaten down also, and I'm not sure why. I've endured some tough times as a fan.
Same. For me, it’s because I truly felt like the program was finally at a point where 5-7 was the floor each year and that we were on the path to consistent bowl games, even if only low level bowls. Watching that performance along with half the A&M game, gave me the feeling that we aren’t headed in the right direction, or even stagnant, but actually regressing. Coupled with poor recruiting and it’s tough to have a positive outlook on the future.

I would sort of like an AD to try doubling a good D2 coach's salary, and then just dumping money into a first class recruiting operation.

I actually think it'd have a higher chance of success than than what our AD is doing.
It's at least a strategy. Not sure what ours is currently. It's clearly not recruit the best athletes. We've been "coaching them up" with HS and QC coaches. What is our team identify? Seemed like it was maybe supposed to be a good defense with a solid run game. Defense has been pretty good, but don't force turnovers or negative plays. Offense has to be one of these worst in all of CFB.

I would sort of like an AD to try doubling a good D2 coach's salary, and then just dumping money into a first class recruiting operation.

I actually think it'd have a higher chance of success than than what our AD is doing.
It's at least a strategy. Not sure what ours is currently. It's clearly not recruit the best athletes. We've been "coaching them up" with HS and QC coaches. What is our team identify? Seemed like it was maybe supposed to be a good defense with a solid run game. Defense has been pretty good, but don't force turnovers or negative plays. Offense has to be one of these worst in all of CFB.
I could go for this.

Bring in a D2 coach and importantly a bunch of young, hungry assistants who will work their tails off recruiting.

This idea of hiring a bunch of older, half burned out coaching buddies or buddies of buddies, who don't want to get on an airplane with the idea that they will "coach guys up" is simply a pile of steaming dog waste.

Will some of them be in too deep? Of course, if they are you thank them for trying and replace them.

The "develop players" line is just about as valid as the "hidden gems" claims and the "overlooked talents" story. We have been seeing all of them for 20 years now and they still haven't worked.

And CU needs to stop playing the poor us line and going cheap. Lots of schools that are our equals or better academically understand the value of a successful football program and have figured out that the hallowed halls of academia won't collapse because a bunch of good football players are on campus.

If we are going to be an FBS program in a P5 conference start acting like it and spend some money. No that doesn't mean that the cure for cancer won't be found. Academic and research values won't be corrupted and we won't become another Nebraska.

Go back and read the post I responded to.
I did and my point still stands. If some fans have unrealistic expectations of what a 3* should come in and do then I don’t see how that’s a problem with rankings. Unless I’m still missing your point

No 3* QB should be starting right off the bat-and that's on Dorrell and staff.
And that’s a fine point. It didn’t come through in your first post. I would say that he’s been in the program for a full year and so it’s not right off the bat and he should look better than he has the first few games. I still put all of that on KD and DC

And that’s a fine point. It didn’t come through in your first post. I would say that he’s been in the program for a full year and so it’s not right off the bat and he should look better than he has the first few games. I still put all of that on KD and DC

I've got friends who coached against him in high school. They told me he needed to sit for more than just 2020.

Almost like this staff has made major mistakes in roster management.

OT is a complete cluster**** and they just continously glossed over it all offseason.

Not sure if this one seems worse because we hoped we had gotten past this level of incompetence. Not sure about that but I did not think we would ever go back to Embree level of incompetence. I thought we would lose more than we won this year but I did not think we would be anywhere near this pass poor from a coaching stand point.

The other thing that makes this so damn depressing is that this is as good as the talent is going to get under this staff. They are horrible recruiters and have no idea what they are doing in that area. Not recruiting positions of need, not able to close on prospects we need, not competitive with the vast majority of the P5 or Pac-12. Others have said we are stuck with KD for at least a couple more years either from economics or fear of ruining a reputation (not sure what is left to ruin but whatever).

Guess I am about as low as you can go as a football fan. I am pretty sure this is my last season for season football tickets. I will keep supporting the bball team and will always pull for CU football but will take the money and time I am spending on football and spend it on something that does not just bring frustration.

Not sure if this one seems worse because we hoped we had gotten past this level of incompetence. Not sure about that but I did not think we would ever go back to Embree level of incompetence. I thought we would lose more than we won this year but I did not think we would be anywhere near this pass poor from a coaching stand point.

The other thing that makes this so damn depressing is that this is as good as the talent is going to get under this staff. They are horrible recruiters and have no idea what they are doing in that area. Not recruiting positions of need, not able to close on prospects we need, not competitive with the vast majority of the P5 or Pac-12. Others have said we are stuck with KD for at least a couple more years either from economics or fear of ruining a reputation (not sure what is left to ruin but whatever).

Guess I am about as low as you can go as a football fan. I am pretty sure this is my last season for season football tickets. I will keep supporting the bball team and will always pull for CU football but will take the money and time I am spending on football and spend it on something that does not just bring frustration.
At least Embree tried.

He failed because neither he nor anyone else on his staff was ready for this big a job but they worked and they cared.

Haven't seen enough of either since

Hookers and blow?

Dorrell is accountable for assembling his staff. It appears the head coach, QB coach, and OC all have different backgrounds and philosophies on what offensive identity they want. It’s a staff totally at odds with itself, and this is the result.

I don’t think Chev will get a pink slip during the season. Dorrell has options, though. He can yank playcalling from Chev and take it over himself or give it to Langsdorf. Of the three, Langsdorf has the best track record at being an OC. Dorrell was absolutely horrible as an OC at Vanderbilt and was fired after one season.*

Moving forward into the offseason, the best we could hope is that Chev is let go (I agree he would be both overpaid and toxic if he remained), and Dorrell hires an up and coming OC and gives him autonomy to assemble his own assistants on that side of the ball. I wonder if Dorrell will cede that much control. I also wonder how much input Dorrell already has in the offensive philosophy and game plan. His quote when he was hired that “he will help Chev become the best OC he can be” makes me wonder if he’s not already heavily involved.

*From Vanderbilt write up at Dorrell’s dismissal:
Dorrell was the architect of an offense that failed to crack the top 100 in most meaningful statistical categories. Lubick oversaw a group of wideouts that gained fewer than 100 yards per game through the air for the 'Dores. Even in generous terms, the Vandy offense was a dumpster fire in 2014.
Sound familiar?
Fantastic post
3 different philosophies blended into a turd shake.
I would actually like to see Chivs old RPO stuff
West Coast is dead, it has morphed into a more modern version.
I would agree that as a whole this is an incredibly weak offensive staff, while we have a pretty solid defensive staff.
During the Bronco game the announcers talked about how Teddy and the offense finally match and blend well with the Fangio defense. CU’s units are not matched up at all

The vast majority of this is on Dorrell/Chev, but Lewis has to own some of this too. He's not ready for this level-and its showing in his play, and yet a lot of you want to give him a free pass. Again-release too slow. Struggles to make decisions/read defenses. Doesn't understand simple situational stuff like don't throw it short of the sticks on 3rd and long or 4th down-he did that at least twice against A&M by my count, and should not be exempt from criticism here.

And somehow there are a lot of you want to do exactly that.
Somewhat agree. It seems like the Buffs are the only team anymore that takes sacks…where every other QB at least scrambles himself to a one yard gain when **** totally breaks down. So it seems.

I think people need to understand that while play calling is a problem, the offensive playbook is a much bigger issue.

I honestly don't think Chev understands how to design plays, let alone design them around player strengths or defensive schemes.
This says it better than I tried to in another thread. The sense that I get in watching the play design of the CU offense is a real Dunning-Krueger vibe.

I feel more beaten down also, and I'm not sure why. I've endured some tough times as a fan.
I think, at least for me, a lot of it has to do with a) the way last year went I felt a lot of promise and potential for this year, 2) we have seen the Buffs play so close so many times yet fall just sort for so long with what could be considered far less talent, 3) we played a Top 5 team so close then come out and throw that ****show, 4) our entire conference SUCKS and the door is wide open for our taking and we’re kinda like “na”, 5) but mostly watching the body language of our offense when it’s breaking down - none of them seem to give a ****. Maybe if someone would get fired up about it, show that they care, I “may” have a different opinion. But for now, I don’t.

Also, I watched this game in a hotel in Austin while my wife and daughter were out exploring the city on a glorious day. I could have been out with them, but I chose to sit in there and watch this piece of **** effort. Then to follow that up with a brutally awesome experience at the Texas / Rice night game just added insult to injury.

The vast majority of this is on Dorrell/Chev, but Lewis has to own some of this too. He's not ready for this level-and its showing in his play, and yet a lot of you want to give him a free pass. Again-release too slow. Struggles to make decisions/read defenses. Doesn't understand simple situational stuff like don't throw it short of the sticks on 3rd and long or 4th down-he did that at least twice against A&M by my count, and should not be exempt from criticism here.

And somehow there are a lot of you want to do exactly that.
This is why I want Langsdorf fired. He didn't get his guy ready for the season and has then failed to build his confidence & performance level.

I could go for this.

Bring in a D2 coach and importantly a bunch of young, hungry assistants who will work their tails off recruiting.

This idea of hiring a bunch of older, half burned out coaching buddies or buddies of buddies, who don't want to get on an airplane with the idea that they will "coach guys up" is simply a pile of steaming dog waste.

Will some of them be in too deep? Of course, if they are you thank them for trying and replace them.

The "develop players" line is just about as valid as the "hidden gems" claims and the "overlooked talents" story. We have been seeing all of them for 20 years now and they still haven't worked.

And CU needs to stop playing the poor us line and going cheap. Lots of schools that are our equals or better academically understand the value of a successful football program and have figured out that the hallowed halls of academia won't collapse because a bunch of good football players are on campus.

If we are going to be an FBS program in a P5 conference start acting like it and spend some money. No that doesn't mean that the cure for cancer won't be found. Academic and research values won't be corrupted and we won't become another ****braska.

Agree. Just looking at the D1/FBS schools, there’s a lot on here that ranked way above CU that have way better football teams, so that “we’re academics” excuse is total bull****. The AVG GPA for those accepted to UGA is a 4.0.

The best solution IMO is an assistant coach budget that’s 5x the head coach’s salary and a recruiting staff budget that’s 2x the head coach’s salary. If you’ve got legit assistants and recruiting apparatus, you win.

With NIL, at least in the short term, we aren’t going to be seriously considered by any 5* players (not that we were, but it’s going to be even worse now). The 4* players are probably a pipe dream, too. We simply don’t have the outside corporate support unless we get really creative with how we “structure” our sponsorships. It’s going to get worse before it gets better. Sorry.

AND ANOTHER THING...

Seriously, though, we were sold this all last year and all offseason. The theme of all the coaches all offseason was the implication that it was OK that recruiting wasn't so good because they were going to give them coaching so good that it would be equivalent.

But the team I saw on Saturday, especially on offense, looked ****ing clueless. I think this is another reason why I also feel beaten down more than even the Embree years.

With NIL, at least in the short term, we aren’t going to be seriously considered by any 5* players (not that we were, but it’s going to be even worse now). The 4* players are probably a pipe dream, too. We simply don’t have the outside corporate support unless we get really creative with how we “structure” our sponsorships. It’s going to get worse before it gets better. Sorry.
I don't see any credible evidence that suggests this is true.

It's all about getting a staff in here that understands recruiting the best players available is their primary objective. From there, CU can put a recruiting and marketing structure together that would blow away most schools in the country. It's not a coincidence that we had our best recruiting classes during #TheRise and MT's year. Those were the two years that CU actually marketed the hell out of the program and results followed.

Plain and simple- we need a HC and staff that understands building a brand and that will actually fight like hell for recruits. Until that happens, we might just keep spinning our wheels.

I’ve literally never seen a QB deathly afraid to make a decision so he makes no decisions. What in the world has he been saying to him?
This 1000x.

First of all, they're trying to take a QB that ran for almost 10/carry his senior year and turn him into more of a pocket passer. I guarantee they've told him not to run as much because they can't afford an injury. Second, they have this kid scared ****less that if he makes a simple mistake that he's blown the game for his team.

The best thing they can do at this point is take the reins off from him. Let him know to just go out there and make plays. He'll make some mistakes along the way, and that's fine, just have the positive plays outnumber the bad plays and we can live with that. Chuck the ball around a little and with our line play the way it is, if his first two reads aren't there, just tuck it and use your legs.

So have we decided that this is KDs west coast offense being forced onto DC? Has KD admitted to installing his O?
DC in the past was a reverse, Sprint out, jet sweep, las Vegas slant, throw deep kinda guy it seemed.

So have we decided that this is KDs west coast offense being forced onto DC? Has KD admitted to installing his O?
DC in the past was a reverse, Sprint out, jet sweep, las Vegas slant, throw deep kinda guy it seemed.
This is my view

Last year without spring ball, I think KD was only able to install a dumbed down version of what he wants to do, and still had some of Chev's old concepts. Now that he's had a full off season, we're getting the full blown KD experience

Back