What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Accountability

no news worthy stuff really. just talking about trying to get his coaches to coach players how they learn instead of one way.

I don't start threads often.

And I know that the "#Fire..." threads are already happening.

But I'd like to frame yesterday's performance and next steps in the context of accountability.

If an elementary school teacher exposes him/her self to students, there needs to be accountability.

If a firefighter enjoys a beer while watching a house burn, he/she needs to be held accountable.

Yesterday's performance was on par with those hypotheticals (without the legal components).

The team needs to witness the accountability. It's healthy for an organization.

The fans needs to witness the accountability - it demonstrates that the pastime in which we invest our time, money and energy is worthy of our concern.

I acknowledge that contracts make accountability challenging. But somehow, someway, that accountability should be visible and swift. It's how leadership works. We hold each other to standards.

Welp, KD clearly didn't read this.

I'm sorry, but KD failed this test. Period. No ownership of the failures. No changes. Nothing. This is Hawkins-esque. I was neutral on KD until this point but I'm out. He failed as a leader.

That was my first, and last, HCKD presser. Do the reporters bring their own kneepads, or does the SID supply them? The last guy said he was bringing the "ultimate softball question", that was pretty arrogant given the competition he had at that presser.

Nothing but baloney platitudes. If CU wins 3 this year, it will be a miracle.

The young excuse is being used way too much
Noah Fenske - Year 3 in college
Kanan Ray - Year 4 in college
Kary Kutsch - Year 5 in college
Jake Wiley - Year 3 in college
Colby Pursell - Year 5 in college
Casey Roddick - Year 4 in college
Max Wray - Year 4 in college
Chance Lytle - Year 5 in college
Frank Fillip - Year 4 in college

I get that our QB is technically "young", but it's not like he's a true freshman. Our entire OL two deep averages 4 years in a collegiate program. Young is such a crock of ****

If Hagan had no affiliation with CU, he’d still be the position coach for the co-offensive player of the year in the Pac12. I am confident that if he wanted to, he could get a job with many P5 programs as a RB coach. Chev coached at several places before he came here. He’s out of his depth as OC, but as has been pointed out, he is a highly capable recruiter and solid WR coach at this level. EB is the OC for the two time AFC champions and has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the HC job at USC. These are guys who, when in the right situation can do very well. Discounting them as candidates here simply because they played here is absurd. Like any coach, you have to find the right situation and allow them to succeed. We have been burned by two former players - Embree and Chev. Both turned out to be in over their heads in the positions they were put in here. That doesn’t make them bad coaches for different jobs. Embree was a highly effective recruiter and position coach here. I wouldn’t hesitate to hire him as a TE coach. That’s probably his ceiling. Same deal with Chev - WR coach and recruiting director is probably his ceiling. The narrative about never hiring former players just seems really weird to me. Hiring somebody for a position to which they are ill suited can happen regardless of where he want to school.
Dorrell played at UCLA, by the way.
Don't forget that McGhee and Bieniemy were on that Embree staff as well.

Maybe the point that we can both agree on is that hiring ex CU guys to HC or coordinator positions has never worked out for CU, partially because they got the jobs because they were CU players. Embree got the CU job when at the time no one else would have hired as an HC. Chev got the promotion to OC when no one else would have hired him as OC. Bieniemy was hired as OC when he'd never been one before, either- I can sort of see it with him, although I think he would have had a hard time finding another major football program to hire him as OC at the time.

I concede I'm being a little hard on Hagan here.

With all that said, please remind me of this when I'm banging the drum for Ryan Walters to the DC role next year.

“Made a lot of progress…” I guess you can progress downhill, valid statement.

“No changes…” Always a good plan to stay the course and expect different results.

“Going to show my face in the offensive room more…” Um, starting now? Why not after week 1?

Starting to think HCKD might be a little too disconnected from reality.

I see no accountability.
This dumpster fire on the offensive side of the ball is about to engulf the entire team. I actually think Coach Wilson is ligit and he will be gone now at the end of the year. I really am struggling, once again, to try and understand why I care so much for this program. They obviously don't.

Noah Fenske - Year 3 in college
Kanan Ray - Year 4 in college
Kary Kutsch - Year 5 in college
Jake Wiley - Year 3 in college
Colby Pursell - Year 5 in college
Casey Roddick - Year 4 in college
Max Wray - Year 4 in college
Chance Lytle - Year 5 in college
Frank Fillip - Year 4 in college

I get that our QB is technically "young", but it's not like he's a true freshman. Our entire OL two deep averages 4 years in a collegiate program. Young is such a crock of ****
Don’t tell the 247 board that, it might make their collective heads explode to see the reality

Don’t tell the 247 board that, it might make their collective heads explode to see the reality
Yeah, there is nothing young about this program at the moment, particularly the weakest link being the OL. Maybe when they are all 5th or 6th year players in year three of the system, they'll finally be decent?

I went fishing today (it was an exceptional day on the water). I was fully expecting to come back tonight to a major staff announcement.

I'm really disappointed and angry at this staff. Nowhere else - that I know of - can you deliver that kind of performance in a chosen profession without a public reckoning.

I went fishing today (it was an exceptional day on the water). I was fully expecting to come back tonight to a major staff announcement.

I'm really disappointed and angry at this staff. Nowhere else - that I know of - can you deliver that kind of performance in a chosen profession without a public reckoning.
That’s not fair. KD promised to poke his head into the maintenance office occasionally, going forward.

I truly like KD the man, a calm and intelligent man
However, he is glossing over everything, and it is scary as hell
I am kind of thinking that KD and Langsdorf put a lot of this offense together, and dumped it on Chiv, and now not only does he call bad plays, but he has terrible plays to choose from that do not match the QB skillset.
KD says he has so much to do, but I never see him even hardly talking on his headset. He looks like he is watching someone build a fence around his backyard.
I am going to the USC game, so that may be the end of my rope 😞

I was the maintenance officer in a squadron once, when a good Sailor, with the best intentions made a mistake (completed maintenance he wasn't authorized to perform anymore in order to get an aircraft back home). I was really struggling to pull his quals, because, again a good Sailor with good intentions.

The Wing Maintenance Officer pulled me aside. The Wing MO was a 30-year LDO Commander, who appears to have been surviving only on coffee and cigarettes for most of his career.

He said, "Uncle Ken. The entire squadron is watching you right now to see how you'll respond. They need you to hold this Sailor accountable. And the person who needs you to hold him accountable the most, is the Sailor himself."

He was right. I'll say it again: Healthy organizations hold each other accountable to standards.
genuinely curious, in light of this story, how do you evaluate the reported Milley actions to insert himself as a gate for DJT's orders? should JRB take disciplinary action against Milley to set an example for future members of the joint chiefs who might seek to usurp chain of command even with the best of intentions? Or is Milley's action a case of the end justifying the means whereas the good Sailor mentioned above didn't?

genuinely interested in your opinion, and that of other military members -- especially those who agree with your Wing MO guy

ACK there is no prohibition on political discussion in the football board, but you may prefer to respond in the politics forum.

genuinely curious, in light of this story, how do you evaluate the reported Milley actions to insert himself as a gate for DJT's orders? should JRB take disciplinary action against Milley to set an example for future members of the joint chiefs who might seek to usurp chain of command even with the best of intentions? Or is Milley's action a case of the end justifying the means whereas the good Sailor mentioned above didn't?

genuinely interested in your opinion, and that of other military members -- especially those who agree with your Wing MO guy

ACK there is no prohibition on political discussion in the football board, but you may prefer to respond in the politics forum.
Happy to discuss outside of the CU football forum (every once in a while I have a little awareness of where I am on this board, though rare).

EDIT: I see that you offered at the end of your post.

I want to root for Chev, but honestly, I'm not sure he is mature enough to handle the demotion without creating a toxic environment in the locker room.

Edit: My opinion is based on how he acted when he was passed over for the HC job.

this should have disqualified him from being kept on this staff – RG over-estimated how important he was to keeping the recruiting class in-tact

Back