What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Accountability

Don't do anything with Chev...just turn off his mic, steal his red stapler, and move his office into the basement. Let some e-Sports champion call the plays from his basement. At a minimum, the play calling will be less predictable and you save $600K.

Kidding...kind of.
Re “We solved the glitch…”

Dorrell is accountable for assembling his staff. It appears the head coach, QB coach, and OC all have different backgrounds and philosophies on what offensive identity they want. It’s a staff totally at odds with itself, and this is the result.

I don’t think Chev will get a pink slip during the season. Dorrell has options, though. He can yank playcalling from Chev and take it over himself or give it to Langsdorf. Of the three, Langsdorf has the best track record at being an OC. Dorrell was absolutely horrible as an OC at Vanderbilt and was fired after one season.*

Moving forward into the offseason, the best we could hope is that Chev is let go (I agree he would be both overpaid and toxic if he remained), and Dorrell hires an up and coming OC and gives him autonomy to assemble his own assistants on that side of the ball. I wonder if Dorrell will cede that much control. I also wonder how much input Dorrell already has in the offensive philosophy and game plan. His quote when he was hired that “he will help Chev become the best OC he can be” makes me wonder if he’s not already heavily involved.

*From Vanderbilt write up at Dorrell’s dismissal:
Dorrell was the architect of an offense that failed to crack the top 100 in most meaningful statistical categories. Lubick oversaw a group of wideouts that gained fewer than 100 yards per game through the air for the 'Dores. Even in generous terms, the Vandy offense was a dumpster fire in 2014.
Sound familiar?
Yes. But that describes Vandy every year. (Vandy alum ‘88)

Noah Fenske - Year 3 in college
Kanan Ray - Year 4 in college
Kary Kutsch - Year 5 in college
Jake Wiley - Year 3 in college
Colby Pursell - Year 5 in college
Casey Roddick - Year 4 in college
Max Wray - Year 4 in college
Chance Lytle - Year 5 in college
Frank Fillip - Year 4 in college

I get that our QB is technically "young", but it's not like he's a true freshman. Our entire OL two deep averages 4 years in a collegiate program. Young is such a crock of ****
It appears that all of those experienced linemen are big fat fatty fats with no ability to beat the man in front of them.

I don't get the love for hiring Buff alum coaches. I mean, if the standard is McCartney - he wasn't and neither was his staff.
best hire CU ever made was the long time michigan defensive coordinator, known for his recruiting skills and fiery coaching.

one of the worst hires CU ever made was the defensive coordinator at uga, who apprenticed under the game's best and who was known for recruiting skills and fiery coaching.

one of the best hires CU made was the former head coach of a b10 school that punched over its weight class and that coach was a previous assistant at CU.

one thing i think we can say is a pattern:

guys from the NFL have not done well here, so far. fairbanks (straight from the patriots as hc), embree, or dorrell.

i hope kd finds a way.

Chev being a head coach at CU or any other FBS program is laughable to me. He's not even an OC, doesn't want to recruit, calls plays for ****, etc.. It's plain as day. Let him go coach at an FCS or high school team.

best hire CU ever made was the long time michigan defensive coordinator, known for his recruiting skills and fiery coaching.

one of the worst hires CU ever made was the defensive coordinator at uga, who apprenticed under the game's best and who was known for recruiting skills and fiery coaching.

one of the best hires CU made was the former head coach of a b10 school that punched over its weight class and that coach was a previous assistant at CU.

one thing i think we can say is a pattern:

guys from the NFL have not done well here, so far. fairbanks (straight from the patriots as hc), embree, or dorrell.

i hope kd finds a way.
Disagree with the bolded, assuming we're talking about the same guy. My measure of good hire/bad hire is partially determined by on-field results but also partially determined by whether or not CU is/was better off when the coach left than when they got here. I think you have to separate the fact that he left out of the assessment- CU was better off when he left than when he got here.

I wouldn't even rank him in the bottom 3 (Fairbanks, Embree, Hawkins).

Disagree with the bolded, assuming we're talking about the same guy. My measure of good hire/bad hire is partially determined by on-field results but also partially determined by whether or not CU is/was better off when the coach left than when they got here. I think you have to separate the fact that he left out of the assessment- CU was better off when he left than when he got here.

I wouldn't even rank him in the bottom 3 (Fairbanks, Embree, Hawkins).
Totally agree on Tucker. I think MSU will do well under him.

Colorado is what it is. A P5 program with a solid pedigree where a coach can win, but not a blue blood with a recruiting pipeline that can easily replenish the program with high level talent.

RG was following the right formula by pursuing elite (coaching and recruiting) coordinators that want a HC gig. Then he **** the bed by going with KD as his backup plan.

The coordinators hired as HC will either win and possibly move on to a blue blood program, stay and keep winning, or lose and get fired but likely leaving decent talent in the cupboard.

Totally agree on Tucker. I think MSU will do well under him.

Colorado is what it is. A P5 program with a solid pedigree where a coach can win, but not a blue blood with a recruiting pipeline that can easily replenish the program with high level talent.

RG was following the right formula by pursuing elite (coaching and recruiting) coordinators that want a HC gig. Then he **** the bed by going with KD as his backup plan.

The coordinators hired as HC will either win and possibly move on to a blue blood program, stay and keep winning, or lose and get fired but likely leaving decent talent in the cupboard.
We only want people who want to be Buffs

Back to the accountability theme.

What I'm thinking about is "when do the regents know they have a disaster on their hands?"

I think they find out when RG has to go them with budget projections for the 22-23 school year.

If attendence craters this year (likely), and season ticket renewals are way down in the spring, the budget projections for next year will be terrible - like cutting staff and /or general budget having to loan the AD money terrible.

At that point even the regents would conclude that RG has to go. A new AD will get hired with one job requirement: fix the budget. I would expect any candidate worth actual consideration to tell them "the way to fix the budget is to fix football." This would be happening in fall of 22, when everything on the field is returning to where it was a decade earlier.

But, let's backup. That's when the regents will realize they have a problem.

When will RG realize he has a problem? It's kind of obvious that he's not looking at recruiting results as an early indicator.

I don't think it'll fully set in for him how big the problem is until he sees Folsom nearly empty at kickoff, and then stay that way the rest of the game.

If/when that happens, he'll be smart enough to (finally) see that he has a real problem. It will be interesting to see who the regents allow him to hold accountable at that point.

Back to the accountability theme.

What I'm thinking about is "when do the regents know they have a disaster on their hands?"

I think they find out when RG has to go them with budget projections for the 22-23 school year.

If attendence craters this year (likely), and season ticket renewals are way down in the spring, the budget projections for next year will be terrible - like cutting staff and /or general budget having to loan the AD money terrible.

At that point even the regents would conclude that RG has to go. A new AD will get hired with one job requirement: fix the budget. I would expect any candidate worth actual consideration to tell them "the way to fix the budget is to fix football." This would be happening in fall of 22, when everything on the field is returning to where it was a decade earlier.

But, let's backup. That's when the regents will realize they have a problem.

When will RG realize he has a problem? It's kind of obvious that he's not looking at recruiting results as an early indicator.

I don't think it'll fully set in for him how big the problem is until he sees Folsom nearly empty at kickoff, and then stay that way the rest of the game.

If/when that happens, he'll be smart enough to (finally) see that he has a real problem. It will be interesting to see who the regents allow him to hold accountable at that point.
Good lord. He handed off the Champions Center as a powerful recruiting tool to our series of head coaches. It's fascinating to me that they have not been leveraged for more success.

So I was at the SC game, first home game for me in at least five years. What an incredible setting for a game, in every respect - Folsom, flatirons, student section, weather, great alumni support, legends (Westbrook, JJ, and more) in the house. How in the **** do we not have a good team? It really is heartbreaking. I truly believe what Barnett and former coaches have said….this is a sleeping giant. How great it would be to wake up that massive bitch. The support for this team would grow exponentially. Oh well. Carry on.

Good lord. He handed off the Champions Center as a powerful recruiting tool to our series of head coaches. It's fascinating to me that they have not been leveraged for more success.

With a facility like the Champions Center, any football failings will make the accountability shortcomings of the football team more glaring.

The Champions Center was leading edge and should have been used as a recruiting weapon at the time. Now? It doesn’t stand out from the competition by much. It’s become table stakes.

The Champions Center was leading edge and should have been used as a recruiting weapon at the time. Now? It doesn’t stand out from the competition by much. It’s become table stakes.
It wasn’t leading edge when it was finished. It was merely keeping up with everyone else’s.

Evaluating recruiting and on-field results both before and after the Champions Center, we should be able to deduce, success is only about people. Find the guy who is a winner and pay him and his friends beyond what they could dream. Coulda gone light on the CC and saved the extra 75 mil to buy actual results, instead of K f-ing D.

Evaluating recruiting and on-field results both before and after the Champions Center, we should be able to deduce, success is only about people. Find the guy who is a winner and pay him and his friends beyond what they could dream. Coulda gone light on the CC and saved the extra 75 mil to buy actual results, instead of K f-ing D.
Recruiting is sales.

The Champions Center is a part of the product.

The people on this board who are in sales can tell you that the product doesn't sell itself. The sales are made by the people who create the relationships and communicate the product and how it fits the customers needs.

There are plenty of textbook cases dealing with all kinds of products where a company fails despite having a superior product.

Sales are made by the people who have the drive and the focus to be more effective sales people than their competition. We haven't seen that outside of short spurts since before the "scandal" caused GB to lose interest.

Last edited:
Below are a few back to back to back questions from the Denver media to Broncos OC, Pat Shurmur, pertaining to his ****ty playcalling last week w/r/t the run game. These aren't even that hard hitting, but the media is at least going to consistently hammer various points home and make Broncos coaches answer. Where is this from the media covering the Buffs? Instead of forcing KD and Chev to answer semi-tough questions, we get guys like Howell asking leading questions to provide an opening for them to dance around it or make excuses for themselves.

1633636117986.png

Back