What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Air Force September 14

Why does CU, other than tradition, take the east sideline rather than west side?

Sun!!!!
I have always wondered the same thing. Plus you have the away team in front of the loudest fans if you were to swap. Neuheisel experimented with swapping sidelines one year IIRC.

I just read an article that said air force has a 330 pound defensive tackle. What the ****? I heard air force has very strict weight limits that they have to adhere to or they cant graduate. So whats the deal here?
Also saw that and am very curious about that. Assuming if he’s not a pilot maybe it’s not as restrictive?

Indeed our senior starting NG Fifita is 330# and equally impressive is Jackson DE 6'5#/275#. Both our offensive and defensive lines have gotten bigger over the years. The biggest change really had nothing to do with being a pilot. The weight was move about overall standards not just for being a pilot. Several years ago the AF Academy moved more to what Army/Navy has done in using body fat percentage as an indicator of health. But the bigger (no pun intended) change at AF was that the standards for weight were moved to the final weight at graduation, with DI athletes getting 'weight waiver' as long as body fat/etc met the standards UNTIL graduation where they had to meet weight standards to graduate.

Good article from AF's perspective on the size difference and how it is 'not as much' as it once was. https://gazette.com/sports/kyle-kre...cle_e5148038-d0b4-11e9-800b-dbf7ccf72c1c.html

Anybody listen to Klatt talk about this game? He's concerned-says AFA is tough, and don't be shocked if this is a fourth quarter game.

I would be, too. Wouldn't you if you were in his shoes?
I mean probably. He is under zero job security pressure at the academy though, he is just doing it to hopefully lull our team into a false sense of security. It is good strategy, just hope it doesn't work.

I mean probably. He is under zero job security pressure at the academy though, he is just doing it to hopefully lull our team into a false sense of security. It is good strategy, just hope it doesn't work.
Act as if...

You’re too scared. Buffs will smash on Saturday. And guess what? If they don’t, I promise you it’s not the fault of over confident fans.

Act as if...

You’re too scared. Buffs will smash on Saturday. And guess what? If they don’t, I promise you it’s not the fault of over confident fans.
Not talking about the fans at all. I don't care if fans are nervous or not.

There are, I believe, 2 players who have ever played against a triple option offense on our roster. Luckily we have 3 coaches who have coached against it, but it takes time to learn how to stop it.

I am anticipating a win, but I am anticipating it will be a very high scoring game. The only hedge I would make on that, is if CU jumps out to a 2 or 3 score lead early. If that happens, AFA won't be able to keep up.

And that's HCMT's job (making sure it doesn't work). It sounds like he's been preparing them since this summer.

But it's in Calhoun's best interest to try to feed the egos of the other teams, particularly new match-ups that have no recent baseline. Hard to fault him for that. If he's successful with the mind-games, it will be a long day for the Buffs. Will likely be, anyway.

His golly gee, we just wanna go play some football attitude irks me. Probably because I know Calhoun can flat coach, and he is sandbagging HARD.

Meh. That's the way he is I think-Dude does have some Howdy Doody to his personality.......but this isn't anything new. He talked about Michigan like this a few years back. He got a ton of those types of questions at the Front Range Kickoff Luncheon-and always gave that type of an answer. I wouldn't be shocked to see Tennessee give him a call this offseason should they fire Jeremy Pruitt-that program needs a guy who has been an HC before, and Calhoun's personality would probably well down there.

And that's HCMT's job (making sure it doesn't work). It sounds like he's been preparing them since this summer.

But it's in Calhoun's best interest to try to feed the egos of the other teams, particularly new match-ups that have no recent baseline. Hard to fault him for that. If he's successful with the mind-games, it will be a long day for the Buffs. Will likely be, anyway.

You have to-Dantonio said the year they played AFA they started prepping for them the previous spring. That offense is really unique-Calhoun's worked in the option with some pro-style type of stuff.

Last edited:
Haven’t seen that much sandbagging since Hurricane Dorian
Do you remember the Montana State coach saying he was going to call time out and throw a party if they ever got a first down against us? Side note: that was a bad game for me to travel to Boulder to see...

AF Falcon fan here. Looking for a great game with no injuries and I'll see some of ya at the game.

First thoughts and quick hits:

-This is not the small Falcon team of the past. We've kept the speed but offensive line now averages at 292# and our starting NG on defense is 310+. Just an observation that fans of teams that normally don't play us think size will be a great advantage but not necessarily anymore. Can't post the link (but I'll try https://gazette.com/sports/air-force-sports/ ) but if you go the CSprings Gazette AF sports page you'll get lots of links talking players. Also one of the few times that the altitude in Boulder will not be an advantage.

-AF vs Colgate was, uhhhh, AF vs Colgate. Didn't need much and didn't show much. One pass was thrown and that was by the #2 QB in the 2nd half (and completed). Passing stats 1-1/41yards. Don't be surprised in this game if you see what a good passer QB Hammond can be. 'IF' the 4th option of the triple option is really used, ie the play action pass' it can be effective and surprise a run centric anticipating defending defense.

-Our defense's job and objective will be to stop your pass attack and especially your 6-2/215# Shenault who we do not match well against 'but' our DB's/secondary is much improved this year. Key will be if the defensive line can get penetration.

-Look out for our stable of RB's and FB's and an experienced line with 4 of 5 starters back.

Long time since the game in 1973 (my freshman year at USAFA) with a lot of hard feelings back then at the end of the Vietnam era. I have been to every AF vs CU basketball game home and away and have not seen anything but mutual respect between the teams and fans (even though folks were not happy 'back in the day' when we actually won 30+ points at CU in Ricardo Patton's last season when most AF fan's believe AF's coach Bzdelik (he who shall not be named) was starting to look for the CU job).

Can't wait and I expect this will be a dragged out game and 'hope' we compete.

GO FALCONS
Fan's what? (sorry, someone had to do it)

Why does CU, other than tradition, take the east sideline rather than west side?

Sun!!!!

Not enough room for a populous and well-located student section on the westside. Yes, the eastside gets harshed by the sun on occasion. The students, being young and resilient, can take it.

My thoughts and 20 + news links on the matchup for the game

More at www.ricksfalconreview.blogspot.com

After an opening win over Colgate and a bye week to watch the CU win over Nebraska, our Air Force Falcons will travel up I-25 to Boulder to face the CU Buffs for the first time since 1973. A lot of history behind the 'why' the game has been so long in the make (see David Ramsey's Gazette article below) and it is definitely time for the rivalry to resume. …..click link for more Rick '77 GO FALCONS

Plus all the TV cameras are on the west side facing east. More screen time.
I actually think this is the biggest reason. Due to the sun, the best camera angles are from the west side looking east. The last thing you want is the basic tv angle always showing the other team in your own stadium.

1. Our head coach was DC at a program that played against the option annually.

2. Our DC has spent about half of his career at schools that either played against the option once a year, or actually played the option themselves.

3. We have a legendary QC/analyst/mentor who coached linebackers against some of the best option football teams in history.

4. We literally have one of the best option quarterbacks to ever play as an assistant coach.

I think the coaches know exactly what the players need to do to stop the option. The only question is going to be "were they able to coach the players well enough to do what they need to do within the practice time limits?"
THE best.

Back