What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All in One DirecTV Hates Pac-12 Network Thread (Was Larry Scott Thread)

NFL is in the catbird seat no matter what happens with the potential consolidations. They will, I believe, go straight to consumer ott with an out of market package if they don't get huge dollars from the bidders for the Sunday ticket.

Or they could go exclusive with a non traditional provider and really throw things up in the air. Imagine apple or Microsoft or google or Amazon or even sony with the rights but you have to buy an Apple TV, an xbox, etc

Change is in the air.

google, for example, is sitting on more cash than it knows what to do with. Not like Apple and Microsoft are cash poor, either.

It doesn't even have to make business sense for them at the moment as long as it increases valuation and makes business sense for 5-10 years from now.

google, for example, is sitting on more cash than it knows what to do with. Not like Apple and Microsoft are cash poor, either.

It doesn't even have to make business sense for them at the moment as long as it increases valuation and makes business sense for 5-10 years from now.

Think of how many chrome casts or other hw they would sell if they had the package.

Reaction from the broadband providers including data rate increases and caps will be an interesting blowback to watch.

Think of how many chrome casts or other hw they would sell if they had the package.

Reaction from the broadband providers including data rate increases and caps will be an interesting blowback to watch.
common carrier time for those assholes.

NFL is in the catbird seat no matter what happens with the potential consolidations. They will, I believe, go straight to consumer ott with an out of market package if they don't get huge dollars from the bidders for the Sunday ticket.

Or they could go exclusive with a non traditional provider and really throw things up in the air. Imagine apple or Microsoft or google or Amazon or even sony with the rights but you have to buy an Apple TV, an xbox, etc

Change is in the air.

They are really protective of their content as is. The NFL is the only league that doesn´t have an Apple TV app. I guess I should be thanking my lucky stars they aren´t blocking AirPlay.

And while I realize I´m not representative of the US market, mlb.tv and the $25 offer for the NHL playoffs mean I´m on my Apple TV more than on my DVR these days.

deal is contingint on directv renewing deal with nfl for the ticket. Which you can bet Directv will land it

Interesting article on the ramifications of NFL Sunday exclusivity as a major factor of the deal. Apparently the exclusive negotiating window has ended but the NFL hasn't opened negotiations with anyone else. ATT has an out from the deal if DTV loses Sunday Ticket exclusivity.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2014/05/19/Finance/ATT.aspx

oh, to be the lead negotiator for the nfl. with that kind of leverage, this renewal is going to cost absolute top dollar to get done.

att would have likely wanted to keep this term quiet, but it is clearly material to the transaction and they probably had to disclose for regulatory reasons.

next big question:

what does charlie ergen do with dish?

options:

1. bid for tmo.
2. partner with or sell to vzw.
3. partner with or sell to a non-traditional entrant like google.
4. bid for directv and at least try to drive up the price.
5. contest comcast/tw and att/directv vigorously with the government.

crazy times.

I'm not sure how good those terms are for those of us who want P12 on DTV. If they have to pay through the nose for NFL Sunday Ticket, they're probably going to be less enthusiastic about paying for P12.

I'm not sure how good those terms are for those of us who want P12 on DTV. If they have to pay through the nose for NFL Sunday Ticket, they're probably going to be less enthusiastic about paying for P12.

On the plus side, AT&T U-verse has had a deal with P12N since last fall, and might want to standardize the offerings between the two. At the very least, they'll have a harder time arguing that the same per subscriber rate is too high for DTV.

Let me add that the proposed deal has to gain regulatory approval, which could drag on and on over the next 12 months or so.

Until there is a green light from the regulators, the companies are operating as separate entities.

To me, that means that any P12N agreement with DirecTV for the 2014-2015 football and basketball season is 100% on the shoulders of DirecTV's management, who already is sitting on a $49 billion buy-out offer and is on the hook to resign the exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket.

Given the current situation, I for one am not holding my breath for any Directv P12N deal until, maybe, next summer.

On the plus side, AT&T U-verse has had a deal with P12N since last fall, and might want to standardize the offerings between the two. At the very least, they'll have a harder time arguing that the same per subscriber rate is too high for DTV.

The tv deals are likely to open back up as of closing. There is no predicting how soon they will be able to unify the lineups or what is in the lineups.

And it will take as long as 18 months to close this given guvmint scrutiny

The tv deals are likely to open back up as of closing. There is no predicting how soon they will be able to unify the lineups or what is in the lineups.

And it will take as long as 18 months to close this given guvmint scrutiny

Yeah, I'm definitely thinking long-term in thinking it improves the chances of DTV carrying the P12N. Short term it probably couldn't make them any worse, but doesn't make them any better either...

Dish is pimping itself as the only source for the SEC network down here. That will get some sports bars on the dish bandwagon. I already have it, but if I wanted to watch the Buffs at my favorite tavern I may have that option now.

Dumped directv and signed up with dish.

Oh, and when I emailed dtv to tell them why, I mentioned PAC 12 network in passing - the last sentence of my email - and they responded within minutes with a canned diatribe about why they didn't carry it. They seemed a little sensitive to that issue.

Last edited:
I cut down the tree that was in the way of Dish. My Direct TV contract runs out in July. So close to being free of the shackles!

Dumped directv and signed up with dish.

Oh, and when I emailed dtv to tell them why, I mentioned PAC 12 network in passing - the last sentence of my email - and they responded within minutes with a canned diatribe about why they didn't carry it. They seemed a little sensitive to that issue.

I mention it every time the DirecTV person tries to sell me in Costco, and they honestly seem to just lay off immediately, like it is an insurmountable thing that they (the sales people) are just as pissed about as all us PAC12 fans.

I mention it every time the DirecTV person tries to sell me in Costco, and they honestly seem to just lay off immediately, like it is an insurmountable thing that they (the sales people) are just as pissed about as all us PAC12 fans.

Same experience here. I was buying a new TV and the DirecTV gal approached saying they had great packages, discounts etc. I said, "not interested, you don't have Pac 12 Network". She retreated without turning her back on me, like she was afraid of being attacked or something. I think she probably heard that objection a lot.

I'm guessing I end up on Comcast in last August when my Directv contract expires. Cost is roughly the same, but it saves me the time and money of having to go to a bar every time a CU game is on the Pac12 network.

I'm guessing I end up on Comcast in last August when my Directv contract expires. Cost is roughly the same, but it saves me the time and money of having to go to a bar every time a CU game is on the Pac12 network.

Yes, this, if I am sitting in a bar I'm having wings, beers, nachos, oysters or BBQ. At home I'm far lower priced with my fair, although I might drink better beer.

I cut down the tree that was in the way of Dish. My Direct TV contract runs out in July. So close to being free of the shackles!

Our tree was too expensive to cut down, but at least Cox has the P12N. Hope we're on national a lot due to the 11ET game, because Cox in general SUCKS!

Same experience here. I was buying a new TV and the DirecTV gal approached saying they had great packages, discounts etc. I said, "not interested, you don't have Pac 12 Network". She retreated without turning her back on me, like she was afraid of being attacked or something. I think she probably heard that objection a lot.

Same here at the Costco in Superior. When I tell the Costco person the reason, they say " ah man I hear that all the time" ... I always respond: " Well??? what do you think that tells you?"

Back