What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All in One DirecTV Hates Pac-12 Network Thread (Was Larry Scott Thread)

Oh yeah, I hear you. Sure I said this at least once in the 14 pages, but when I say be careful what we wish for. ESPN is something like $6 a month just by itself. Its on the basic tier for every cable household in America. Their ratings would suggest maybe 1/4 of US households actually watch their programming. It wouldn't be as simple as bringing the carriage fee up to $24 a month, but it would definitely cost more than $6. And that is just ESPN. Then again, maybe I am totally wrong and the free market would figure it all out. Who knows.

this is also correct and why the bundling economics work so well for the existing players.

mandatory carriage in the basic tier is a huge force at work. espn will pull in just over 7 BILLION in carriage fees in 2014.

**** me. Figured the SEC network was going to seek a higher carriage fee, word is they are getting $1.30 inside their footprint and 0.25 outside. Damn I hate that freakn conference.

From phone

While investigating an alternatives to Comcast, I discovered Prism TV. It is not in my area yet. With Comcast triple play service is good but pricing manipulation is frustrating. I discovered a potential alternative (eventually) that I am not sure was mentioned in this thread. Prism TV from Century Link includes a television alternative (with PAC 12 of course) other than DTV. It is currently available in parts of C Springs, Lakewood, and Highlands Ranch. No word on when per Denver, but speculation by operator was likely within the year.

https://www.centurylink.com/prismtv/#prism-tv-plans-and-prices.html

This will be a regional dispute, but SportsNet LA by Time Warner has launched without any carriage deals. Would think these are the kind of deals that make it harder on the PAC 12 Network. The MSO's want SportsNet LA (at a rumored cost north of $4 a month) on a sports tier vs. basic cable in Los Angeles County. It would be one thing if the carriage fee was less than a dollar, but they are asking every single cable household in LA to carry the cost for a channel that has original programming less than half the year. Same goes for the the Lakers channel. Its absolutely absurd both channels are asking close to $10 a month for every cable household regardless if they watch the Dodgers or Lakers. That is all the programming these channels are carrying. Time Warner and the Dodgers are of course counting on getting basic cable so they can afford to pay out the 8.5 Billion dollar contract that affords the Dodgers their 300M payroll.

This will be an interesting fight to keep track of over the next month. LINK

SEC and Longhorn network coming to Dish, but not DTV. funny how the distributors are breaking down into a pro v. college. SEC getting paid good money, but I like that Dish got them. Gives sports bars more reason to carry Dish.

[tweet]440917506048286720[/tweet]

Maybe they'd all be combined on the same channel so DTV would pick them up... Then we could watch the Longhorns again. I so miss the Longhorns. And the SEC. I never get to see the SEC. Gosh golly gee!

With the new espn disney deal it looks like Dish will finally get espnu in HD. I've been waiting a long time for that.

"* Dish will launch ESPNEWS, ESPNU, Disney Channel and ABC Family in high definition".

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/03/03/dish-network-walt-disney-internet-tv/5984663/

There is a God!!!! Hope it's in time for football (171 days).

With the new espn disney deal it looks like Dish will finally get espnu in HD. I've been waiting a long time for that.

"* Dish will launch ESPNEWS, ESPNU, Disney Channel and ABC Family in high definition".

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/03/03/dish-network-walt-disney-internet-tv/5984663/

I have ESPNU (actually all those channels), I'll gladly trade it for the Pac-12 Network.

:doh: Every time this thread pops up I anxiously open hoping for good DirecTV news!

I have ESPNU (actually all those channels), I'll gladly trade it for the Pac-12 Network.

I here you. Dish has those channels too just not in hd. A few of CU football games and and a few more basketball games end up on ESPNU and their standard def. is really poor quality. All CU games in HD now! One more reason to consider Dish.

:doh: Every time this thread pops up I anxiously open hoping for good DirecTV news!

I here you. Dish has those channels too just not in hd. A few of CU football games and and a few more basketball games end up on ESPNU and their standard def. is really poor quality. All CU games in HD now! One more reason to consider Dish.

Come on over to the Dish dark side DBT!

I could manage better with ESPNU even if I didn't get it's more widely available. Pac-12 Network is only available at one establishment I know of within a short drive of me. There was one within walking distance to me, but they stopped the subscription (translation: I was one of the few people who ever came in there to watch the Pac-12 Network).

Well when my Directv brethren are ready to watch the PAC I will provide the link again, its a simple install and the exact directions are on youtube. I watched the CU vs SC game and will be watching the Cal game later today. I will also continue to get Sunday Ticket, just like any sports bar in the US that wants to make any money off football. College football may be second in the pecking order, but its a distant 2nd, just look at the numbers.

Well when my Directv brethren are ready to watch the PAC I will provide the link again, its a simple install and the exact directions are on youtube. I watched the CU vs SC game and will be watching the Cal game later today. I will also continue to get Sunday Ticket, just like any sports bar in the US that wants to make any money off football. College football may be second in the pecking order, but its a distant 2nd, just look at the numbers.

I'm in, post the link.

The link is as follows, the required add-on's are Mash-up (movies) Sports Devil (live sports world wide) and the link with the PAC Networks is Navi X like I said earlier just go to you tube and follow the directions its easy, my daughter did it and she can barely charge her I-phone correctly

http://xbmc.org/download/

They are getting a much higher carriage fee too. Different animal though. SEC fan will switch, Sunday ticket isn't going to work for them.
But in the end, maybe we'll regret not partnering with ESPN or fox.

From phone

I don't know if this will make any difference, but At&t just bought Directv.

is uverse available in denver? Does anyone have it?

edit: looks like it isn't. bummer

is uverse available in denver? Does anyone have it?

edit: looks like it isn't. bummer

I have it in Atlanta. Don't really notice much different between them and Directv. The only real major difference is the HD channels are not next to the non HDs like on Directv.

coverage map

ILEC_Map_OutofFootprint.gif

Coming soon to AT&T Uverse (if the deal closes)?

AT&T´s coffers are deeper than DirectTV´s ... and if the reports are to be believed, DTV keeping Sunday Ticket probably isn´t a foregone conclusion by any means.

AT&T´s coffers are deeper than DirectTV´s ... and if the reports are to be believed, DTV keeping Sunday Ticket probably isn´t a foregone conclusion by any means.

NFL is in the catbird seat no matter what happens with the potential consolidations. They will, I believe, go straight to consumer ott with an out of market package if they don't get huge dollars from the bidders for the Sunday ticket.

Or they could go exclusive with a non traditional provider and really throw things up in the air. Imagine apple or Microsoft or google or Amazon or even sony with the rights but you have to buy an Apple TV, an xbox, etc

Change is in the air.

Back