What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

And We Now Take You To Hangzhou

I hope these kids stand for The National Anthem when they get back. I’m willing to bet the Chinese are a bit more racist than Americans, on average.
I hope you aren't suggesting that anyone should shut up and be accepting or even thankful about being treated as a 2nd class citizen because of his/her ethnic heritage after gaining perspective that other countries have less freedom.

I hope you aren't suggesting that anyone should shut up and be accepting or even thankful about being treated as a 2nd class citizen because of his/her ethnic heritage after gaining perspective that other countries have less freedom.
No. I’m not suggesting that. Nice use of rhetoric though.

Key quote...

"Every young person makes mistakes, but the key point is how they will handle it after making the mistake," Tsai said before the game Saturday. "I think sometimes things can be very complicated, and the last couple of days I've seen firsthand professionalism on all sides."

When the Alibaba founder has your back, things typically go well. But making this go away will not be free. Tsai will get something down the line.

Key quote...

"Every young person makes mistakes, but the key point is how they will handle it after making the mistake," Tsai said before the game Saturday. "I think sometimes things can be very complicated, and the last couple of days I've seen firsthand professionalism on all sides."

When the Alibaba founder has your back, things typically go well. But making this go away will not be free. Tsai will get something down the line.
Bezos better be looking over his shoulder.

It strikes me as being ironic that China makes a huge deal out of shoplifting but don’t bat an eye at stealing our technology, foreign citizens’ PII, intellectual property, etc. They are ****ing hypocrites.
Intellectual property and physical property are very different things. Most cultures throughout history have respected some level of individual ownership of physical things, only recently and only in western cultures has individual ownership of intellectual property been generally recognized.

Then consider a culture that tends to value collective rights over individual rights, and...

Well let's just say that I will not defend Chinese lack of respect for intellectual property, but I would not level the charge "hypocrite" at them for it.

Intellectual property and physical property are very different things. Most cultures throughout history have respected some level of individual ownership of physical things, only recently and only in western cultures has individual ownership of intellectual property been generally recognized.

Then consider a culture that tends to value collective rights over individual rights, and...

Well let's just say that I will not defend Chinese lack of respect for intellectual property, but I would not level the charge "hypocrite" at them for it.
But the also are blatant at copyright infringement. Want a Coach purse or Rolex watch? How about Nike athletic shoes? Why does their government allow production of knockoffs? Isn't that stealing every bit as blatantly as shoplifting?

But the also are blatant at copyright infringement. Want a Coach purse or Rolex watch? How about Nike athletic shoes? Why does their government allow production of knockoffs? Isn't that stealing every bit as blatantly as shoplifting?
They didn't go to the Gucci factory and steal Gucci bags (i.e. steal physical things). They bought one and replicated it (i.e. stole intellectual property).

I don't think either one is right. But there is a real difference between them. Pretty much every culture throughout human history has judged the stealing of physical things from another person as being wrong. The vast majority of human cultures throughout history have found it to be ok to "steal" someone else's idea, including China's current one.

I'm not saying they are right (in fact, I think it's wrong), but hypocrisy means treating the same thing differently, and these aren't the same thing. Similar, but still different enough that most human societies across time are actually on the Chinese side.

Remember, most human societies across time judged it ok for 14 year old girls to get married to 32 year old men too, so this isn't an argument that they're "right."

Rather, I'm just saying that "hypocrite" doesn't apply. "Ignorant behavior of a backward society," is even less PC than "hypocrites," but it's much more accurate.

Much of the Far East is very confused as to why we don't view They're copying products as a compliment.

My son lived their for 18 months. They treated him very well. Aside from their government, the people are very nice.
Yeah, the government was nothing close to gracious. Currency exchange was basically an interrogation by a party official wanting to know why I wanted their currency. He did not find humor when I said "to eat."

Yeah, the government was nothing close to gracious. Currency exchange was basically an interrogation by a party official wanting to know why I wanted their currency. He did not find humor when I said "to eat."
Government officials came into the school where my son worked and told them they’d be shut down if they didn’t lower tuition. A day later they returned and told them that for 50,000 yuan (about $8,000), they would be allowed to maintain the same tuition.

In other news, The Donald spoke to China’s premier, or whatever you call him, on behalf of the players.

My son was in the airport leaving Bali. A sign said “The penalty for smuggling drugs is death.” Even though he knew he wasn’t smuggling drugs he was tempted to go through his luggage anyway. They don’t **** around in some of those places.

Look up the name "Schapelle Corby"

Back