What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

**** bailer!

The belief that their* theology did not influence their "legal" response to rape is willfully burying your head in the sand.

*"their" not "your" - don't try and play a victim card here.

Oooh. Burn. I think you are conflating theology with religion.

And the fact remains that members of the legal profession are complicit in the coverup. Not sure how that constitutes my head being in the sand, nor discount my observation about how quickly some members of this board are on alleging crimes are tied to matters of religious bigotry.

For the record, I’m not Baptist, nor evangelical. Just pointing out how quick the concept of “Baptist Patriarchy” is being held out as the basis for sexual assault to be covered up by Art Briles and the Baylor administration.

Can you read? I'm really seeing why you support Baylor. And did you just try and use living in Hawaii as a burn?
Neat. Great response. Living in Hawaii suggests that you have no idea what is happening in Texas. How many miles have you been within the place that you are bashing? A couple thousand miles? Your views are driven by whatever BS you read. Who cares.

Are you or are you not bigoted when it comes to religion?

I have absolutely no bias when it comes to religion. I simply point out the dangerous nature of certain religious beliefs, such as the obvious misogyny of fundamentalist religions: Christian, Muslim, and Jewish fundamentalists all share this unfortunate trait.

On the other hand, your bias towards religion, Christianity in particular, leads to you excusing all forms of misconduct and terrible beliefs.

Neat. Great response. Living in Hawaii suggests that you have no idea what is happening in Texas. How many miles have you been within the place that you are bashing? A couple thousand miles? Your views are driven by whatever BS you read. Who cares.
You do! Cause **** bailer!

As long as Baylor students are accepting federal loans, and Baylor athletic teams compete with other titleIX compliant NCAA programs, I am NOT going to drop a **** Baylor attitude, unless they are required to comply with the same freedom of information act requirements as public institutions.

Anyone read the Pepper Hamilton report yet?

I’m a Texas resident, and I put Baylor on the bottom rung of P5 programs.
You are 100% correct. Baylor not only should have had their football program shut down for at least two years but they also should have been found to be out of compliance with Title IX and made ineligible for any programs involving federal funds until they made substantial changes in the upper administration of the school and implemented real compliance authority.

The one thing I am sure of though is that with Baylor another "scandal" of some significant type is going to eventually erupt.

They have proven continually that winning and the publicity that comes with it is more important than any kind of moral considerations or rules.

I have absolutely no bias when it comes to religion. I simply point out the dangerous nature of certain religious beliefs, such as the obvious misogyny of fundamentalist religions: Christian, Muslim, and Jewish fundamentalists all share this unfortunate trait.

On the other hand, your bias towards religion, Christianity in particular, leads to you excusing all forms of misconduct and terrible beliefs.

Liar. There you go again asserting utter falsehoods.

I have not once excused Christianity to all forms of misconduct any more than you have held the legal profession exempt from terrible beliefs and misconduct. We can go on and on all night like this.

Last I checked, the Baptist faith was created in Europe in the 1600s. And I believe you neglect to address how the Southern Baptist Convention has come forward to apologize and attempt to atone for being wrong about slavery. More and more Baptist secs are finally ordaining women pastors. And dancing is even allowed on campus!

The Baptist Religion and Baylor are not synonymous. And your notion of Baptist Patriarchy is just another broad brush bigoted notion that you spout on about ad nauseum.

And the fact remains that members of the legal profession are complicit in the coverup. Not sure how that constitutes my head being in the sand, nor discount my observation about how quickly some members of this board are on alleging crimes are tied to matters of religious bigotry.

For the record, I’m not Baptist, nor evangelical. Just pointing out how quick the concept of “Baptist Patriarchy” is being held out as the basis for sexual assault to be covered up by Art Briles and the Baylor administration.
Why not both?

Legal professionals were complicit in the coverup, as were church leaders.

It's not an either/or situation - most cultural problems/issues aren't. It's sort the defining feature of "cultural." Lots of influences, religious, legal, social, etc forces.

Often, any *one* of them fighting the problem is actually enough to stop the worst abuses. Yes, you needed members of the legal profession to look the other way - and they did. You also needed members of the church leadership to look the other way - and they did too.

Remember, Baylor is a "christian" university - it has an official relationship with the SBC. The church was complicit - which means that somehow some of their leaders reconciled their reactions and policy with their theology.

There was no one in any leadership position at that university that did not share some part of the blame - including the church.

Liar. There you go again asserting utter falsehoods.

I have not once excused Christianity to all forms of misconduct any more than you have held the legal profession exempt from terrible beliefs and misconduct. We can go on and on all night like this.

Last I checked, the Baptist faith was created in Europe in the 1600s. And I believe you neglect to address how the Southern Baptist Convention has come forward to apologize and attempt to atone for being wrong about slavery. More and more Baptist secs are finally ordaining women pastors. And dancing is even allowed on campus!

The Baptist Religion and Baylor are not synonymous. And your notion of Baptist Patriarchy is just another broad brush bigoted notion that you spout on about ad nauseum.
I almost gave you a pass for writing Baptist secs.

Your clownish responses over the years have uniformly failed to acknowledge the obvious and admitted misogyny of fundamentalists, including Baptists, as well as the dire consequences for women and children in those communities. Who could have predicted that a religious belief that women were created to be submissive to men would lead to violence?

one can separate faith from the failings of institutions. it is difficult and painful, but these are choices that the faithful of lots of religions have had to face. these institutions are only as good as the people (read: men) who run them. they have to evolve. i say this as a pained catholic. but, **** bailer. and ken starr.

No need to call you names. Just curious upon what facts you base an opinion that the bad guys are gone?
What do these friends of yours have to say about whether or not Art Briles got a fair shake from the press?
Art got a fair shake, he was dirty at Stephenville, he was dirty at Tech and Houston, he was dirty at Baylor. I've met the man, he's a douche. Maybe you know him better, Idk??

one can separate faith from the failings of institutions. it is difficult and painful, but these are choices that the faithful of lots of religions have had to face. these institutions are only as good as the people (read: men) who run them. they have to evolve. i say this as a pained catholic. but, **** bailer. and ken starr.
I am a flawed but very involved Catholic.

I believe that universities and the athletic teams that represent them have a responsibility to represent the values of the states that support them. I further believe that universities affiliated with religious denominations have a greater responsibility the represent the values of those faithful to the religion.

This is the reason I actively cheer against Notre Dame because the institution has on too many occasions ignored or even approved conduct or individuals who do not represent the faith.

Baylor takes this to a whole other level many steps up. From their problems in the SWC days to the basketball scandal involving drugs and one player killing another to the rape scandal and all that went with it. The culture is rotten, It is only a matter of time until another issue comes out and the administration does everything possible to cover it up.

Are you saying you have access to information hidden away by bailer? If not, you're reading the same thing everyone else here is reading, but you are drawing different conclusions. Which is okay until you pretend to know more than what's been put out. If you do know more, please, inform us.

Why not both?

Legal professionals were complicit in the coverup, as were church leaders.

It's not an either/or situation - most cultural problems/issues aren't. It's sort the defining feature of "cultural." Lots of influences, religious, legal, social, etc forces.

Often, any *one* of them fighting the problem is actually enough to stop the worst abuses. Yes, you needed members of the legal profession to look the other way - and they did. You also needed members of the church leadership to look the other way - and they did too.

Remember, Baylor is a "christian" university - it has an official relationship with the SBC. The church was complicit - which means that somehow some of their leaders reconciled their reactions and policy with their theology.

There was no one in any leadership position at that university that did not share some part of the blame - including the church.

Now we are getting somewhere. Those hiding behind religion while covering up or perpetuating sexual abuse are hypocrites. Criminals who engage in or cover up sexual assault must be brought to justice, outed as sex offenders where appropriate, removed from positions of authority, and financially penalized.

Note that Baylor is a private Baptist university chartered by the State of Texas affiliated with, but independent from the Baptist General Convention of Texas.

The Baptist General Convention of Texas are partners with, but not subordinate to the Southern Baptists Convention.

Hope this helps in sorting out where in Christianity to target accountability. Direct your outrage at Anna.Rosales@texasbaptists.org, and Baylor Alum Congressman Colin Allred at Allred.house.gov, who campaigns on women’s rights.

Let them know about how the Baptist Patriarchy is responsible for misogyny that holds women responsible for being raped.

Sure. Where do you live, Hawaii? Yeah. I am pure evil. You are a joke.
giphy.gif

I almost gave you a pass for writing Baptist secs.

Your clownish responses over the years have uniformly failed to acknowledge the obvious and admitted misogyny of fundamentalists, including Baptists, as well as the dire consequences for women and children in those communities. Who could have predicted that a religious belief that women were created to be submissive to men would lead to violence?

You are in no position to call out clownish responses of others as you continue on as a bigot and habitual liar.

You elect to ignore that both of us hold a **** Baylor position, while choosing to engage in one more of your ridiculous bad faith strawman.

When I point out complicity by the Baylor legal minds in addition to Christian hypocracy, you double down on ignoring legal complicity all together in order to blow this up in to some utterly ridiculous universal indictment of fundamentalism, and then you disingenuously paint me as failing to admit to your twisted and shallow world view on religion, where you do nothing more than fault find.

I happen to be an Episcopalian BECAUSE gay marriage is supported and because women clergy are ordained. This is is the church of Mayor Pete. As an American, I have witnessed the virtue of religious freedom and will fight against religious bigotry as it exists within this, my online community.

This doesn’t mean I necessarily support or agree with how Baptist or Mormons or Jews or Muslims or Irreligious choose to live their lives. Nor does it oblige me to defend or excuse whatever allegation tickles your fancy And I feel no need to play your silly game as it related to broad brush attacks based on misogyny or racism as it applies to a congregation that neither of us attend.

Live and let live > irreligious attacks

peace.

You are in no position to call out clownish responses of others as you continue on as a bigot and habitual liar.

You elect to ignore that both of us hold a **** Baylor position, while choosing to engage in one more of your ridiculous bad faith strawman.

When I point out complicity by the Baylor legal minds in addition to Christian hypocracy, you double down on ignoring legal complicity all together in order to blow this up in to some utterly ridiculous universal indictment of fundamentalism, and then you disingenuously paint me as failing to admit to twisted your world view on religion, where you do nothing more than fault find.

I happen to be an Episcopalian BECAUSE gay marriage is supported and because women clergy are ordained. This is is the church of Mayor Pete. As an American, I have witnessed the virtue of religious freedom and will fight against religious bigotry as it exists within this, my online community.

This doesn’t mean I necessarily support or agree with how Baptist or Mormons or Jews or Muslims or Irreligious choose to live their lives. Nor does it oblige me to defend or excuse whatever allegation tickles your fancy And I feel no need to play your silly game as it related to broad brush attacks based on misogyny or racism as it applies to a congregation that neither of us attend.

peace.
Jfc skiddy you are the only mother****er who ca ruin the **** bailer thread.
**** bailer

I don’t think you can separate bailer from the Baptist Church. The actions of one reflect upon the other. The school is more than just a religiously affiliated college. It is a part of the church itself. I think church leaders understand that, and that’s why they were complicit in the coverup and legal obfuscation.

I don’t think you can separate bailer from the Baptist Church. The actions of one reflect upon the other. The school is more than just a religiously affiliated college. It is a part of the church itself. I think church leaders understand that, and that’s why they were complicit in the coverup and legal obfuscation.

this is fair. catholics have a number of colleges that compete in sports; the methodists have smu; the mormons have byu; the evangelicals have liberty; and so forth. it is very difficult to logically draw a barrier between the school and the religion.

“The Southern Baptist Convention has no direct connection with any of these institutions. It provides no funding. It elects no trustees. Each institution is related to one of our partnering Baptist state conventions.” Source

Church leadership have taken deliberate actions to structure Baylor so that it is legally independent from the National and State conventions in order to limit liabilities. I’d be interested in learning more from you about the governance structure that unites Baylor with the Baptist church beyond what I’ve provided here and in a previous post.

When I point out complicity by the Baylor legal minds in addition to Christian hypocracy, you double down on ignoring legal complicity all together in order to blow this up in to some utterly ridiculous universal indictment of fundamentalism, and then you disingenuously paint me as failing to admit to your twisted and shallow world view on religion, where you do nothing more than fault find.

peace.

You are a "bigot and habitual liar . . . peace" :LOL:

This feigned equanimity is emblematic of your bizarre thought processes. Will your moral crusade against religious bigotry in your online community extend to standing up for polygamous Mormons marrying children? To Al Qaeda killing infidels? To Isis enslaving women? To Hindus burning widows to death on their husbands' funeral pyres? To Christian Scientists dying for want of blood transfusions?

That you choose to give religion an exalted space in your personal worldview doesn't make you holier than anyone else. It just makes your opinions worth less. The fact is fundamentalists of all religions, because they cling to historic versions of religion, are misogynistic. You feel "no need to play this silly game" only because you recognize this obvious fact--and who wouldn't, it's a feature, not a bug, of those denominations. I attended an orthodox Jewish wedding this past summer and couldn't dance with my wife because there was a screen separating men from women. I didn't tear down the screen or take a dump on the dance floor, but I recognized the ridiculous beliefs that led to that screen existing.

Back