What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bench Montez - October 4 Edition

ZandiBuff

Tired of having hope
Club Member
Holy ****, what a ****ing joke. At home. Can't find the 2nd receiver. Can't step up into a pocket.

Won't try.

Time to work on next year, this one's over

Did you think we’d need to score more than 30 to beat UA? Because I did. If you had told me before the game that UA’s number would be 35, I’d have felt good and that it was on the offense to go out and win it — that they should.

Arias dropping that TD killed them. Also way too many penalties and other drops. Montez did enough IMO

Except not trying to get the 1st down on that scramble late in the game... that was pretty bad

Arias dropping that TD killed them. Also way too many penalties and other drops. Montez did enough IMO

Except not trying to get the 1st down on that scramble late in the game... that was pretty bad
He also missed a ton of reads both during plays and pre-snap when he didn't get us into an audible. Bailed the pocket too much and failed to step into throws. Had some significant accuracy problems on plays that could have flipped the game.

We needed more than 30 points. 6 scoring drives and 3 of them were FGs. Montez has to find a way to finish those drives. Not gonna beat UA by 3s. As Steve Young once said about FGs: "Every time we kicked a FG I felt like we just got a little closer to losing."

Anyway, the main thing with Montez is that he's our Gump. It's a constant roller coaster of pulling amazing stuff out of his ass and also having episodes of being clueless. Watching Montez play quarterback is like a box of chocolates.

He also missed a ton of reads both during plays and pre-snap when he didn't get us into an audible. Bailed the pocket too much and failed to step into throws. Had some significant accuracy problems on plays that could have flipped the game.

We needed more than 30 points. 6 scoring drives and 3 of them were FGs. Montez has to find a way to finish those drives. Not gonna beat UA by 3s. As Steve Young once said about FGs: "Every time we kicked a FG I felt like we just got a little closer to losing."

Anyway, the main thing with Montez is that he's our Gump. It's a constant roller coaster of pulling amazing stuff out of his ass and also having episodes of being clueless. Watching Montez play quarterback is like a box of chocolates.
Kicking is for losers.

He has to have heard the criticism hasn’t he? Yet he continues to pull the same crap. He bails on the pocket, he doesn’t set his feet, he misses reads, he fails to spot wide open receivers, he makes panic throws rather than wait for receivers to break open, he is afraid of contact and doesn’t give himself up even with the game on the line.

And I’ve never, ever, ever seen him blame himself, other than the “I’ve got to do better” crap. I have to believe his teammates are also sick of this ****.

All of that said, he wasn’t the reason we lost. He didn’t commit the dumbass personal foul on a play across mid field and he didn’t drop a sure touchdown pass on a perfectly thrown ball. But he also didn’t fight for much needed extra yards on a “must score” drive at the end of the game.

Last edited:
his 4th quarter run was right in front of us....we all just looked at each other in disbelief....fine in the first quarter maybe.....but with the game on the line?????? come on man

This was a collective team loss. Just didn't have the killer instinct to close.

Montez looked like a Freshman not a 5th year senior. I don't get it. We needed him to put the team on his back.

This was a collective team loss. Just didn't have the killer instinct to close.

Montez looked like a Freshman not a 5th year senior. I don't get it. We needed him to put the team on his back.
I just don’t think it’s fair to have these expectations. He is who he is. Great at times. Horrible others. Always Inconsistent. As such, why think that he is more than he is? He’s not. There is substantial evidence.

Maybe you (and many others) are hoping, rather than logically thinking. No big deal, happens to fans all the time.

Onward.

Montez does not react well when his receivers drop a pass. It’s like he takes it personally with his body language and demeanor, and that sends the wrong message. He needs to bounce back quicker. That is what good leaders do.

Montez does not react well when his receivers drop a pass. It’s like he takes it personally with his body language and demeanor, and that sends the wrong message. He needs to bounce back quicker. That is what good leaders do.
It's a snapshot of why he has never been a captain. You don't see him yell at anyone or prop them up. He's just kind of doing his own thing out there.

To be honest, I'm completely exhausted with Montez. Yeah, like some have pointed out, this particular loss is not all his fault and I concur. However, he is NOT a leader and he is really not that good at QB. Yeah, he has his moments and I'm sure he looks good in practice (he does have a strong arm); however, his consistency in games sucks! I for one, am looking forward to when Lewis (next year?), Stenstrom, or Lytle takes over.

To be fair to Montez, I really don't think it is all his fault. I think is some ways he has too much information floating around in his head. Perhaps he's been coached too much!? In his first game against Oregon he was awesome! He passed for a ton of yards and was also the leading rusher in beating the Ducks in Eugene. He was a dual-threat QB. However, now he appears to have been coached out of that into a pure pocket-passer. Furthermore, I doesn't seem like he has the mental ability to absorb everything he has been taught and put into practice on the field. It's almost like he suffers from "paralysis by analysis." Anyway, as I said before I'm exhausted with him and will be happy to move on when the time comes.

I envision Montez and Johnson practicing stepping up in the pocket during practice by having a bunch of GAs running at him with flippers on their arms and him just dodging them.

Hard to truly work on that when there is zero fear of being hit, which is clearly something he avoids at all costs. Maybe it’s time the coaches start designating Montez as a live player during their contact practices and force him into developing that part of his game.

Of course they won’t do that, but going to be fun watching the same old fade away jumpers across his body each week.

Montez is good, but he is a total slot machine as far as consistency. Games like the ASU game, he puts the ball where it needs to be, and the receiver does the rest. This game Montez falls apart when adversity knocks on the door. He gets into his own head and gets lost. He doesn’t have any spark when things get tough.
Maybe this season’s key is to make Montez feel like he isn’t in Folsom? I mean the Buffs win in Denver, in a red-filled Folsom against Nubs, and a win against the American Stripper Union in Tempe.
Two heartbreaking losses in Folsom in the waning moments in the game is a tough pill to choke down so far this season. Hopefully, there is a game or two that the Buffs can steal...

Montez is good, but he is a total slot machine as far as consistency. Games like the ASU game, he puts the ball where it needs to be, and the receiver does the rest. This game Montez falls apart when adversity knocks on the door.
Maybe this season’s key is to make Montez feel like he isn’t in Folsom? I mean the Buffs win in Denver, against a red-filled Folsom against Nubs, and a win against the American Stripper Union in Tempe.
Two heartbreaking losses in Folsom in the waning moments in the game is a tough pill to choke down so far this season. Hopefully, there is a game or two that the Buffs can steal...
Slot machines are programmed for losses for the player.

There are a lot of 'smash-mouth' guys, but he's not one of them. TV jerks had some comments about their pregame meet w/ SM. Said he was very open in acknowledging the issues he faces if he wants to succeed in the NFL, including how he handles pressure. I think he knows what he needs to do, but can't consistently do it.

The poor fundamentals and bailing on the pocket are bothersome, but just a little situational awareness from a 5th year senior should not be too much to ask.

The poor scramble was bad enough, but why are you going deep along the sidelines on 3rd and 4? Unless the receiver is wide open, you are wasting a down there.

Also, the running playbook continues to be severely limited because the defense does not have to account for a running QB.

Back