What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bench Montez - October 4 Edition

Wow. I've never seen such a desperate attempt to make excuses for a player than this right here. Everything good, Montez gets credit. Everything bad, it's everyone else's fault. Arias didn't get open on 3rd down? False start penalties? Dropped passes frustrated him, which forced him into inaccurate passes? Also, news flash... 30 points is actually about average, if not below average for college football offenses. It's not good.

I get that Montez brings out extreme reactions on both sides, but he got so frustrated by one dropped pass that he missed open receivers by several yards on consecutive downs? Is that supposed to be a defense?

And since Arias was not open, it is not on Montez that he threw it anyway? Huh?

I get that Montez brings out extreme reactions on both sides, but he got so frustrated by one dropped pass that he missed open receivers by several yards on consecutive downs? Is that supposed to be a defense?

And since Arias was not open, it is not on Montez that he threw it anyway? Huh?
I also find the, "Montez did enough to beat AFA and Arizona" argument to be ridiculously off base. Offense put up 23 and 30 points, respectively, he had the ball last in both games and was awful in both situations.

Not sure if I have a point, but Montez is selected captain again. Third(?) time this season. The coaches like him.

I also find the, "Montez did enough to beat AFA and Arizona" argument to be ridiculously off base. Offense put up 23 and 30 points, respectively, he had the ball last in both games and was awful in both situations.

The problem is we gave up 5 touchdowns instead of 4 and a FG. Had Arizona been at 31 points, I guarantee Montez would have led a game winning drive. Advanced stats thread for proof. Conclusion, not Montez’ fault.

AF game also not Montez’ fault. Had the kickers just made their ****ing XPs, AF would have had 31 points at game end, ensuring a Montez led game winning drive.

The problem is we gave up 5 touchdowns instead of 4 and a FG. Had Arizona been at 31 points, I guarantee Montez would have led a game winning drive. Advanced stats thread for proof. Conclusion, not Montez’ fault.

AF game also not Montez’ fault. Had the kickers just made their ****ing XPs, AF would have had 31 points at game end, ensuring a Montez led game winning drive.
The XP against AF wasn't Stefanou's fault unless you just didn't watch? It's also been stated before, this offense with the weapons Montez has should not be held to just 30 points. 38 points is not unreasonable against a pretty bad Arizona defense.

The XP against AF wasn't Stefanou's fault unless you just didn't watch? It's also been stated before, this offense with the weapons Montez has should not be held to just 30 points. 38 points is not unreasonable against a pretty bad Arizona defense.
giphy.gif

Whoa. Middle got blown up on PAT. Nothing on Steph.

On the bench Montez thread, I say we all make a deal--if CU somehow shocks the world, and the "Great Montez" (he may not even play great) leads CU to an upset victory over Oregon (I think we are only 20 point dogs), we suspend the bench Montez threads for the remainder of the season and just let him play out his senior season.

I have to confess, I was ready to go to the UoA game at 8am, yet I still had the nerves thinking Khalil Tate's presence in street clothes could be enough for disappointment. Well Tate played and it was disappointment. Here's to Montez finding the same juju at Oregon? For some reason, I like him more on the road-- maybe something with the "clap" and snap.

Also, I am just dreading the WSU game. I don't like the match up-- OSU's offense v CU's defense at all. Pullmen is where the good PAC QB's go to sh**. So if we lose to UO and fall behind at WSU, I think that is a great opportunity to see what Lytle/Stenstrom can do. They do need some playing time. I will say this, I like that CU had such a brutal early season, however it did not help in terms of playing back-up QBs. I hope that AFA becomes a yearly respectful rivalry, as if CU plays them enough they will need to figure them out. Also, Montez being 2-0 over Nebraska, is probably enough for consideration of having his number put in the stadium.

Finally, I like whoever put up the Sefo video. Although the Buffs lost, that Michigan game could have been the catalyst for the great season.

On the bench Montez thread, I say we all make a deal--if CU somehow shocks the world, and the "Great Montez" (he may not even play great) leads CU to an upset victory over Oregon (I think we are only 20 point dogs), we suspend the bench Montez threads for the remainder of the season and just let him play out his senior season.

I have to confess, I was ready to go to the UoA game at 8am, yet I still had the nerves thinking Khalil Tate's presence in street clothes could be enough for disappointment. Well Tate played and it was disappointment. Here's to Montez finding the same juju at Oregon? For some reason, I like him more on the road-- maybe something with the "clap" and snap.

Also, I am just dreading the WSU game. I don't like the match up-- OSU's offense v CU's defense at all. Pullmen is where the good PAC QB's go to sh**. So if we lose to UO and fall behind at WSU, I think that is a great opportunity to see what Lytle/Stenstrom can do. They do need some playing time. I will say this, I like that CU had such a brutal early season, however it did not help in terms of playing back-up QBs. I hope that AFA becomes a yearly respectful rivalry, as if CU plays them enough they will need to figure them out. Also, Montez being 2-0 over ****braska, is probably enough for consideration of having his number put in the stadium.

Finally, I like whoever put up the Sefo video. Although the Buffs lost, that Michigan game could have been the catalyst for the great season.
No.
Good Montez must be summoned for every touch in every game. It requires Boulder level witchcraft and special incantations.

The Buffs need perfect Montez to win.
Yep, and the running game needs to be there. Hopefully, it can open up some big play action stuff. Also, wouldn't hurt the D to cause some turnovers, but get TD's off of those. Red zone, I don't even need to mention. :D

I went back and looked at the 2016 CU Oregon game highlights. Montez ran with abandon. Fought for extra yardage. Generally led the team to victory. It was his finest hour.

What’s happened since? Ok, he has had a daisy chain of coordinators/coaches and that surely hasn’t helped. But the fiery DT he was then has long disappeared. He’s a shell of his former self.
And I think he fancies himself a gunslinger NFL QB. Those scrappy fast “dual threat” guys with a few notable exceptions don’t tend to have the NFL scouts looking at them so much for their QB potential at the next level. But showing a willingness and capability to run for a handful of yards here and there would go a long way for him for sure. And I’m sure he saw Sefo get drilled a thousand times on his passionate runs and figures, well **** I get drilled a thousand times a game already when I try to drop back to pass, let alone carrying the ball so I’m getting hit enough already.

Back