What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bret Bielema - NY Giants OLB coach, former Arkansas HC

It's almost like we're picking teams at recess, and the other guy won the coin toss to pick first. The gym teacher is out sick, so we have a substitute teacher who happens to be an art teacher from Greece. Substitute teacher insists that the other guy actually gets to pick his WHOLE team first.

Now we're on the clock looking at who we get to choose from, mumbling under out breath that we are ****ed.

Is he known as a recruiter?

Wiscy 2006: 36
Wiscy 2007: 32
Wiscy 2008: 37
Wiscy 2009: 42
Wiscy 2010: 46
Wiscy 2011: 44
Wiscy 2012: 65 (Left prior to signing day)
Arkansas 2013: 23
Arkansas 2014: 29
Arkansas 2015: 22
Arkansas 2016: 23
Arkansas 2017: 27

He was great at Wiscy, or Wiscy was great while he was there, although he did lose three straight rose bowls.

Wiscy 2006: 36
Wiscy 2007: 32
Wiscy 2008: 37
Wiscy 2009: 42
Wiscy 2010: 46
Wiscy 2011: 44
Wiscy 2012: 65 (Left prior to signing day)
Arkansas 2013: 23
Arkansas 2014: 29
Arkansas 2015: 22
Arkansas 2016: 23
Arkansas 2017: 27
Not that I love the idea of Bielema, but to be fair that’s about where both programs recruited before and after his tenure as well.

Wisconsin has a unique place in college football. Their style of play works, just like option football at the service academies. Bielema took Wisconsin football to Arkansas and failed, it didn't port over to the SEC. I see a Bielema hire akin to hiring a service academy coach to port over an option offense, out of date and not tenable in the Pac-12.

This is the hire I thought Michigan State should have made. Knows how to win in the Big Ten, as well as the culture and able to recruit athletes necessary to win there.

Would I jump up and down for joy if he became coach here, probably not. However I would not hate it. He has learned under Alvarez and then Belichick for the last 2 years. We could do a lot worse.

Wisconsin has a unique place in college football. Their style of play works, just like option football at the service academies. Bielema took Wisconsin football to Arkansas and failed, it didn't port over to the SEC. I see a Bielema hire akin to hiring a service academy coach to port over an option offense, out of date and not tenable in the Pac-12.
What would be so different than Cristobal’s and Tucker’s approach? I think his approach could work in P12 if he takes advantage of a mobile QB with an arm.

He went 3-9 in his first season and then 7-6 in his 2nd season. They beat #17 LSU 17-0 and #8 Ole Miss 30-0 and beat Texas in a bowl game.

In his 3rd season they lost their starting running back before the season to injury, had a new O-coordinator and he lost 3 players on defense to the NFL. They still went 8-5 and beat K-State in a bowl game.

Next season 7-6 and beat #12 Ole Miss, #10 Florida and #15 TCU that season. They lost their bowl game to Virginia Tech.

His recruiting classes by national rank were as follows:

#23 (class had Hunter Henry)

While that sounds good that was consistently near the bottom of the SEC every year. In his final season he was fired after the last game of the year and they went 4-8 (1-7 SEC).

What would be so different than Cristobal’s and Tucker’s approach? I think his approach could work in P12 if he takes advantage of a mobile QB with an arm.

Other than one year with Russell Wilson, UW doesn't need a QB that can do anything other than huddle up the team and hand off the ball. UW didn't adapt to a running QB after Wilson left and neither did Bielema. He should still be the HC in Madison.

I do not like this option. I don’t like the McElwain option either. I’d rather give the reigns to chev and take our chances. This guy was awful at Arkansas and he would jump away from boulder if he was successful. I say no way!!

He went 3-9 in his first season and then 7-6 in his 2nd season. They beat #17 LSU 17-0 and #8 Ole Miss 30-0 and beat Texas in a bowl game.

In his 3rd season they lost their starting running back before the season to injury, had a new O-coordinator and he lost 3 players on defense to the NFL. They still went 8-5 and beat K-State in a bowl game.

Next season 7-6 and beat #12 Ole Miss, #10 Florida and #15 TCU that season. They lost their bowl game to Virginia Tech.

His recruiting classes by national rank were as follows:

#23 (class had Hunter Henry)

While that sounds good that was consistently near the bottom of the SEC every year. In his final season he was fired after the last game of the year and they went 4-8 (1-7 SEC).
How did he fare against Colorado State?

What happened to him at Arkansas?

Honestly, he wasn't that far off from working out at Arkansas. He came very close to winning 9-10 games in 2014 and 2015 but had more close, heartbreaking losses than just about every other P5 coach during that time span. He was a missed extra point away from knocking off Alabama in 2014. He had a top 10 defense nationally that year but an average offense, and then in 2015 the offense was 2nd in the SEC in scoring (with Brandon Allen) but the defense fell off. Contrary to popular belief his passing offenses were very good in the middle of his tenure and in 2016 Arkansas actually led the SEC in passing yards. He also put a ton of players in the NFL and I'm pretty sure Arkansas was top 5 in the SEC in amount of players drafted under him, but most were mid to late rounders.

He was known as a pretty lazy recruiter though and ironically once Sam Pittman left to be the Georgia OL coach his OL fell apart and it all went downhill from there. I don't think he's a bad coach with the right assistants surrounding him but he drinks too much and slacks off in recruiting too much to sustain a program long-term IMO. But hey he's not as bad as Chad Morris.

giphy.gif

Back