What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bronco Mendenhall - Former HC at UVA & BYU

Also, please don't remind us of Craig MFing Ochs either.
Instead of thinking about Ochs… how about Buffs QB Bobby Pesavento? That guy is a true super hero. Wonder what he’s up to today?

Clark Kent Superman GIF

Feels like we are all talking ourselves into accepting a Mendenhall hire. If it turns out to be somebody else, that’s going to suck.

Agreed, although it doesn’t feel like the tea leaves are pointing towards any of those guys right now.
The tea leaves don’t really know s**t. A couple days ago it seemed like Herman was the heavy lean and now it’s Bronco but I’m not even sure why. A random tweet from Tim Brewster’s kid?

I don’t think we really know anything we didn’t know over the weekend.

The tea leaves don’t really know s**t. A couple days ago it seemed like Herman was the heavy lean and now it’s Bronco but I’m not even sure why. A random tweet from Tim Brewster’s kid?

I don’t think we really know anything we didn’t know over the weekend.
This gets back to my original point. It feels like we are talking ourselves into accepting a Mendenhall hire. I think he was a guy a lot of people would have accepted grudgingly a month ago. Now it feels as though he’s the best we can realistically hope for. I have no clue if that’s the case or not, but that’s certainly the vibe I’m getting.

This gets back to my original point. It feels like we are talking ourselves into accepting a Mendenhall hire. I think he was a guy a lot of people would have accepted grudgingly a month ago. Now it feels as though he’s the best we can realistically hope for. I have no clue if that’s the case or not, but that’s certainly the vibe I’m getting.
I don't get the hate here-Bronco Mendenhall was at UVA for six years. Virginia is the type of school CU thinks it is. He had them bowl eligible 5 times. He was at BYU 10 years, and had them in a bowl game every year he was there.

I'm like the rest of you-I prefer Tom Herman. I think he's a special coach. If we get the restrictions removed and pay him what we paid Dorrell (likely), he can do something special here.

Would I take Bronco if Herman somehow fell through or that smoke isn't that legit? Yes. Definitely.

It is kind of interesting. When we were on the replace Embree hunt, there were rumors Bronco was contacted and he would not even pick up the phone, Now he's the savior. Weird.

It is kind of interesting. When we were on the replace Embree hunt, there were rumors Bronco was contacted and he would not even pick up the phone, Now he's the savior. Weird.
Maybe he wasn't ready to start collecting retirement early.

I don't get the hate here-Bronco Mendenhall was at UVA for six years. Virginia is the type of school CU thinks it is. He had them bowl eligible 5 times. He was at BYU 10 years, and had them in a bowl game every year he was there.

I'm like the rest of you-I prefer Tom Herman. I think he's a special coach. If we get the restrictions removed and pay him what we paid Dorrell (likely), he can do something special here.

Would I take Bronco if Herman somehow fell through or that smoke isn't that legit? Yes. Definitely.
I think it's because on the surface we'd be happy with bowl games but he's obviously not going to take us to the playoffs anytime soon. Deep deep down we all want the hope for something greater, to reach the pinnacle of CFB and win another title. We want that shred of hope, that flickering candle flame of hope. 1990 was 32 years ago, which was in all of our 35 year old lifetimes and the memory keeps the flame alive. We reach a critical juncture of CFB where conferences are changing and soon only few will matter. If we end up among those who don't matter then the flame is extinguished. Bronco and many others are a step towards extinguishing that flame. So long as it burns we will long for a coach to take us to the true promised land: not bowl games, not conference titles but championships.

Do not suppress the flame my friends. Wish for higher aspirations for your Buffs and for yourself

I don't know that Bronco thinks anyone knows his ceiling. It's not black and white.

As far as the whole "tea leaves" discussion, it's non-productive and does not help CU who has had public misses with food cart, Sarkisian and Mel Tucker dumping us on the honeymoon.

I've ignored this ****, and prepared myself for a new HC who I'm quite sure will be at least very competent, but possibly a coordinator from P5 or a G5 Head Coach. I am totally ok with that. I would like a splashier hire, but realistically, so many splash hires end up as bad hires. It's hardly a slam dunk.

I’ll tell you why. Because we’ll say “all I want is to play in bowl games every year and win more than we lose”, but we don’t really mean it. We want the hope of having a special team now and then.

Bronco is a solid, if unspectacular coach. He’s a guy that will have his team in a bowl game most seasons with the occasional 9 win, Las Vegas Bowl win type season. He’s not going to deliver top 25 teams and probably won’t deliver the breakout 10+ win season or conference title (his last conference title was 15 years ago and his last 10 win season was in 2011 against a garbage schedule). All of this sounds good today because of where we are as a program but not exciting.

Herman represents hope for that breakout, special season/program. He recruits, he’s been part of huge, blue blood programs and had success, he’s younger, he can be feisty. HE went 13-1, won a conference title and had a top 10 team in his first season as a HC. He has 5 bowl wins in 6 seasons as a HC, and delivered multiple ranked teams and top 10 teams at both coaching stops. He’s a exciting and people love a great upside.

Really? dang

When was that though? OC dependent or are his offenses generally quite good? I like the sound of this

Tell Deon Cole GIF by Team Coco
Oh those numbers had nothing to do with Mendenhall, just curious if they would sound good to you…

Seriously, his offenses weren’t known to be prolific every year, but that’s what they did in 2021 with Robert Anae at OC and Jason Beck as QB coach. Both of those guys followed him from BYU and at least one of them would be the presumptive favorite to be the OC at his next stop. Mendenhall seems to favor dual threat QBs that can be an active part of the run game.

Oh those numbers had nothing to do with Mendenhall, just curious if they would sound good to you…

Seriously, his offenses weren’t known to be prolific every year, but that’s what they did in 2021 with Robert Anae at OC and Jason Beck as QB coach. Both of those guys followed him from BYU and at least one of them would be the presumptive favorite to be the OC at his next stop. Mendenhall seems to favor dual threat QBs that can be an active part of the run game.

Season 9 Yes GIF by Friends

one thing to consider with bronco is that isnt it correct that he hasn’t been fired from the coaching jobs he’s had?
I think the HC & staff he was with at Oregon State early in his career got fired. I think that's it.

I’ll tell you why. Because we’ll say “all I want is to play in bowl games every year and win more than we lose”, but we don’t really mean it. We want the hope of having a special team now and then.

Bronco is a solid, if unspectacular coach. He’s a guy that will have his team in a bowl game most seasons with the occasional 9 win, Las Vegas Bowl win type season. He’s not going to deliver top 25 teams and probably won’t deliver the breakout 10+ win season or conference title (his last conference title was 15 years ago and his last 10 win season was in 2011 against a garbage schedule). All of this sounds good today because of where we are as a program but not exciting.

Herman represents hope for that breakout, special season/program. He recruits, he’s been part of huge, blue blood programs and had success, he’s younger, he can be feisty. HE went 13-1, won a conference title and had a top 10 team in his first season as a HC. He has 5 bowl wins in 6 seasons as a HC, and delivered multiple ranked teams and top 10 teams at both coaching stops. He’s a exciting and people love a great upside.
I completely agree with you on Tom Herman.

Where I have a problem with the way we're talking about Mendenhall is this-Its almost as if we're talking about him like he's a Karl Dorrell type candidate. He's far from it. If Herman wants this job, its his IMO.......but Bronco Mendenhall would be a hell of a consolation prize if that falls through.

He'd win here. He'd have this thing in a better position for the next round of realignment. I get the disappointment if its him......but he's a MASSIVE upgrade over Stoneface or even Sanford.

I get the feeling that the kind of culture Bronco creates in a program is like what Tad does with MBB. We sure could use someone who is just really invested in our football program like Tad is in basketball.

I completely agree with you on Tom Herman.

Where I have a problem with the way we're talking about Mendenhall is this-Its almost as if we're talking about him like he's a Karl Dorrell type candidate. He's far from it. If Herman wants this job, its his IMO.......but Bronco Mendenhall would be a hell of a consolation prize if that falls through.

He'd win here. He'd have this thing in a better position for the next round of realignment. I get the disappointment if its him......but he's a MASSIVE upgrade over Stoneface or even Sanford.
No one is talking about Bronco like he’s a Karl Dorrell type candidate, no one. And no one is arguing he wouldn’t be an upgrade over Dorrell or Sanford.

The only hesitation I’ve heard about Bronco generally center on whether we’d be accepting a ceiling with him that’s good not great.

No one is talking about Bronco like he’s a Karl Dorrell type candidate, no one. And no one is arguing he wouldn’t be an upgrade over Dorrell or Sanford.

The only hesitation I’ve heard about Bronco generally center on whether we’d be accepting a ceiling with him that’s good not great.
I accept the buffs being good.
I’m worn out of them sucking.

Back