What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bronco Mendenhall - Former HC at UVA & BYU

I have an additional sideline demeanor requirement. They cannot act like they just drank an entire bottle of Nyquil before the game.
Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

absolutely agree. We need someone who brings some energy. The fans and students are there to get into the game. The coach should have some emotion.

He has not done the gig in the NIL era. He was never a strong recruiter outside of the built-in fertility of BYU and the mid-Atlantic. He is the epitome of milquetoast. If he is hired, he signals a lack of institutional commitment to be a true player. Your belief that he’d be okay without resources is exactly my point. We need resources and a coach who will demand that the school give him those resources.
Hiring a guy who would be the 8th winningest active coach in the sport if he got the job is milquetoast?

Do you know who signed Andrew Gentry out of Columbine?

Last edited:
Hiring a guy who would be the 8th winningest active coach in the sport if he got the job is milquetoast?

Do you know who signed Andrew Gentry out of Columbine?
Well S..t, hire Lou Holtz! He would be the 3rd winningest active head coach in the sport. Can we get a Lou Holtz thread please

Signed an NLI with Mendenhall pre-mission. Gentry de-committed from UVA because of Mendenhall's resignation.

I'll let you get back to the milquetoast takes now.
That’s the risk you run recruiting LDS kids going on 2 year missions, the NLI they sign means next to nothing. But you’re right, we should use one kid who never played for the school as an example of how great a recruiter Bronco is.

Virginia recruiting (247 ranks):

Pre-Bronco
2015: #50
2016: #63
--------------
2017: #58 (partly him)
2018: #59
2019: #39
2020: #66 *only a class of 15 guys
2021: #33
2022: #65 (partly him)

This is the main concern. Back in his region, can he deliver consistent Top 40 classes? If he can't, he will underperform CU expectations.

Thought these were interesting comments from one of Bronco's UVA QBs.

Really, this is the case for Bronco.

The questions are:

1. How motivated and committed is he? (I think this one he can easily satisfy.)

2. Will he drive CU booster support & NIL - and if he gets it will he capitalize on CU's ability to recruit at a higher level than anywhere he has coached? (This is the big question and I want to hear an answer that gets me fired up.)

Bronco looks like a step above Mike MacIntyre. Better recruiter with probably the same type of coaching style. He's seems like a guy who can take that next step Mike couldn't and get this program a consistent 6 win team. I think asking him to do anything past that is probably not realistic, IMO. Might be what CU needs but I feel as if there are higher ceiling coaches out there.

Really, this is the case for Bronco.

The questions are:

1. How motivated and committed is he? (I think this one he can easily satisfy.)

2. Will he drive CU booster support & NIL - and if he gets it will he capitalize on CU's ability to recruit at a higher level than anywhere he has coached? (This is the big question and I want to hear an answer that gets me fired up.)
Unless we’re prepared to go the “good teacher more important than good recruiter” route again then recruiting is a big concern here also.

Unless we’re prepared to go the “good teacher more important than good recruiter” route again then recruiting is a big concern here also.
He is a very good coach and I don't think that is a question. Who was the last coach who wasn't a great recruiter at CU that was successful? I would say most thought of Barnett as a better coach than recruiter, but he was still a high level recruiter.

I honesty can't think of one since I've been alive.

Bronco looks like a step above Mike MacIntyre. Better recruiter with probably the same type of coaching style. He's seems like a guy who can take that next step Mike couldn't and get this program a consistent 6 win team. I think asking him to do anything past that is probably not realistic, IMO. Might be what CU needs but I feel as if there are higher ceiling coaches out there.

Dude- Mendenhall took Virginia to NY6 bowl game, and only coached ONE bowl ineligible team in 17 years head coaching. He's is more than a couple steps up from Mike "2 bowls ever" Macintyre.

Dude- Mendenhall took Virginia to NY6 bowl game, and only coached ONE bowl ineligible team in 17 years head coaching. He's is more than a couple steps up from Mike "2 bowls ever" Macintyre.
Bronco has proven to be a much better coach than MM, but Bronco never inherited a mess like CU in 2012-13.

It's been mentioned before, but you have to wonder how Bronco will navigate NIL and transfer rules, which should be something a coach at CU is good at. Most notably, the transfer portal.

CU is in a very good spot this year looking for a coach. There aren't a lot of openings and they have the ability too hit on a superstar.

Bronco has proven to be a much better coach than MM, but Bronco never inherited a mess like CU in 2012-13.

It's been mentioned before, but you have to wonder how Bronco will navigate NIL and transfer rules, which should be something a coach at CU is good at. Most notably, the transfer portal.

CU is in a very good spot this year looking for a coach. There aren't a lot of openings and they have the ability too hit on a superstar.
If the smoke around the top 2 guys is correct, I love the way this is playing out. We're talking to probably the most successful coach at Texas since Mack Brown as our top candidate with a guy who would be the 8th winningest active coach in the sport if he got this job as our safety net?

If the smoke around the top 2 guys is correct, I love the way this is playing out. We're talking to probably the most successful coach at Texas since Mack Brown as our top candidate with a guy who would be the 8th winningest active coach in the sport if he got this job as our safety net?
I like Bronco. I really, really like Herman.

Bronco would be another Barnett in terms of results. Herman's ceiling is a lot higher. He's the kind of guy who could win a title here if he's given what he needs to succeed.

You do realize that Barnett got us within a terrible Craig Ochs pass of a national championship game, right?

I think we'd all kill for a Gary Barnett level hire.

Having said that, I think Herman can build something here - assuming dip**** restrictions on getting kids into school are brought into line with actual peer institutions.

Bronco : CU = Pelini : NU

NIL is the only thing that makes me question the equivalency, but that's my honest assessment of how Bronco would perform at CU.

And honestly, after the last 20 years, I'll ****ing take it.

NIL is the only thing that makes me question the equivalency, but that's my honest assessment of how Bronco would perform at CU.

The Nubs would love to have those Pelini seasons again, lol.

Wasn't Saban the only coach at that time that had a better record then Pelini?

You do realize that Barnett got us within a terrible Craig Ochs pass of a national championship game, right?

Having said that, I think Herman can build something here - assuming dip**** restrictions on getting kids into school are brought into line with actual peer institutions.
This. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when people slam any potential candidate with "His ceiling is Barnett."

MOTHER ****ER WE HAVE BEEN TO 3 BOWLS IN 17 SEASONS SINCE BARNETT. UNDER THE CURRENT STRUCTURE WE'D HAVE MADE THE CFP IN 2001. WE'D BE LUCKY TO HAVE ANOTHER BARNETT.

Don't remind me of the Fresneck State game.

Yes. That's no shot at BM-After 3 bowls in 17 years, I'll take five lower level bowls in six.

Tom Herman would build something here. He's that good a football coach, and Sarkisian's struggles at Texas make him more attractive.

I'd be bouncing off the walls excited over either after 2.5 years of Stoneface and the Mel Tucker fiasco.

Last edited:
Back