What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bryan Harsin - HC Boise State University

Except for the 6 years Herman spent at the P5 level as an OC/QB coach, including the 3 years at a top 3 national program.
And Harsin was OC at Texas.

Both guys were OCs at blue blood programs and then led G5 programs to high level success. Look, I'm certainly not advocating for Harsin to be the hire, just pointing out that Texas has plucked someone from the G5 ranks and the resumes are remarkably similar.

:ROFLMAO:

Personally, I do not want Harsin. He can wait for UT as far as I care.

In the middle on Harsin-I wouldn't hate the move, but I'd prefer other candidates (I'd much rather hire him over ****ing Derek Mason). I think he's going to be successful at the P5 level when/if he makes that move. His personality is alot more Peterson than Squawk for one. Got concerns with him as well-he has a number of guys who worked for Squawk (Riddle, Bedell, Ambrose prior to this past year, Kiesau) working for him now. If he's the guy, I'd rather see a transition along the lines of Sparkles' arrival in Gainesville (I don't think he brought anyone from CSU when he took that gig-correct me if I'm wrong) than FHCMM. Keep Chev and I'd think Ambrose in that case and then go from there.

I don't get the hesitation on going with another G5 candidate-Contrary to what I read around here, FHCMM (despite his flaws) left this program in a far better place than where it was when he found it. Nothing wrong with being really intrigued with Day, Lake, or (insert name of hot coordinator here), but we're not at a place where we can ignore Group of 5 candidates.

And Harsin was OC at Texas.

Both guys were OCs at blue blood programs and then led G5 programs to high level success. Look, I'm certainly not advocating for Harsin to be the hire, just pointing out that Texas has plucked someone from the G5 ranks and the resumes are remarkably similar.
That one year at Texas was not good.

Harsin has proven to be a far more accomplished coach than Hawkins. I’d be OK with it so long as we could get some very solid assistants. Peterson was at Boise too. Would anybody be opposed to him coming here?

sick cringe GIF

I think it's funny that Auburn is going to fire a guy after 20 games, especially 7 games into the season when their 4 losses have been to #10 Penn State, LSU, #9 Ole Miss, and #1 Georgia.

I'm not saying he's doing a good job there, but if look at the trajectory of the program, it's basically the same as it was headed when they fired Malzahn, and while it's tough to tell whether he's just continuing the dive that was already started or is actually making it worse, it's going to be hard to convince me that on the day they fired Malzahn, you could have looked ahead to this schedule and made an actual cogent, non-homer argument that they weren't going to be at best 4-3 at this point. If you want to can him on the idea that they should have beaten LSU, or didn't look good enough beating SJSU or Mizzou, or that they lost to Penn State or Georgia by too much, whatever.

I think it's a case of Auburn's continued commitment to delusion about where they stand year to year in the SEC West that they're not going to give the guy the rest of the year.

Harsin is a good coach and in the right situation would be a good choice, this isn't it.

In some ways he is very similar to Dan Hawkins. He has had significant success but that success has come in programs where he had to steer the ship, not build it.

In each of his stops he has taken over programs that already had significant amounts of what was needed to win in place. Things like a talent base on the existing roster, recruiting networks and systems, support staff in various areas.

At CU most of this doesn't exist.

We need somebody can build a program, create an identity, establish a culture, not just take over what is already there.

I think it's funny that Auburn is going to fire a guy after 20 games, especially 7 games into the season when their 4 losses have been to #10 Penn State, LSU, #9 Ole Miss, and #1 Georgia.

I'm not saying he's doing a good job there, but if look at the trajectory of the program, it's basically the same as it was headed when they fired Malzahn, and while it's tough to tell whether he's just continuing the dive that was already started or is actually making it worse, it's going to be hard to convince me that on the day they fired Malzahn, you could have looked ahead to this schedule and made an actual cogent, non-homer argument that they weren't going to be at best 4-3 at this point. If you want to can him on the idea that they should have beaten LSU, or didn't look good enough beating SJSU or Mizzou, or that they lost to Penn State or Georgia by too much, whatever.

I think it's a case of Auburn's continued commitment to delusion about where they stand year to year in the SEC West that they're not going to give the guy the rest of the year.

Respectfully, the trajectory under Harsin has dropped like a rock. The program had plateaued under Malzahn, but was still winning 8-9 games a year.

And yes, the four losses have been to good/very good teams, but really only the LSU game was actually winnable (yesterday kinda, sorta). The three wins in 2022 are: Mercer, San Jose State, and Missouri (who basically gave the game away.

The fact he can't recruit is the icing on the cake.

Respectfully, the trajectory under Harsin has dropped like a rock. The program had plateaued under Malzahn, but was still winning 8-9 games a year.

And yes, the four losses have been to good/very good teams, but really only the LSU game was actually winnable (yesterday kinda, sorta). The three wins in 2022 are: Mercer, San Jose State, and Missouri (who basically gave the game away.

The fact he can't recruit is the icing on the cake.
You didn't mention the elephant in the room. Auburn boosters are notoriously volatile and meddlesome. Harsin has resulted in a very polarizing divide with maybe half of the big dog boosters actively working to get him fired since last year. The chemistry will never work with Harsin as HC there.

I'm not ready to say it wouldn't work at CU.

You didn't mention the elephant in the room. Auburn boosters are notoriously volatile and meddlesome. Harsin has resulted in a very polarizing divide with maybe half of the big dog boosters actively working to get him fired since last year. The chemistry will never work with Harsin as HC there.

As it pertains to Auburn, sure.

I actually think the elephant in the room regarding Harsin is Boise took a sizable step back under him. His high water mark was the first season there.

I actually think the elephant in the room regarding Harsin is Boise took a sizable step back under him. His high water mark was the first season there.
I think that coincided with NCAA & budget problems resulting in their AD getting the axe. The BSU operation is not what it was when they were on a path to being the western Florida State football program story.

I think that's a fair point, but he's really low on my list right now.

Just don't see a builder when I look at him. I do when I look at Herman (the recruiting stuff all goes back to the bull**** around The Eyes of Texas) and Mendenhall.

Harsin is a good coach and in the right situation would be a good choice, this isn't it.

In some ways he is very similar to Dan Hawkins. He has had significant success but that success has come in programs where he had to steer the ship, not build it.

In each of his stops he has taken over programs that already had significant amounts of what was needed to win in place. Things like a talent base on the existing roster, recruiting networks and systems, support staff in various areas.

At CU most of this doesn't exist.

We need somebody can build a program, create an identity, establish a culture, not just take over what is already there.
I think that's fair, but I think he's more likely to be able to build a program than D2 Danny ever was. D2 was probably one of the biggest personality frauds I've ever seen.
I think that coincided with NCAA & budget problems resulting in their AD getting the axe. The BSU operation is not what it was when they were on a path to being the western Florida State football program story.
Fair, but I think two of the guys at the top of my list (and I would assume many others) have shown they can build. Houston and Texas weren't as bad as we are right now, but Tom Herman left both in better shape than he found them. Same thing with Bronco's BYU and Virginia tenures.

I think that's fair, but I think he's more likely to be able to build a program than D2 Danny ever was. D2 was probably one of the biggest personality frauds I've ever seen.

Fair, but I think two of the guys at the top of my list (and I would assume many others) have shown they can build. Houston and Texas weren't as bad as we are right now, but Tom Herman left both in better shape than he found them. Same thing with Bronco's BYU and Virginia tenures.
You can credit it to his assistants but Hawkins was outstanding in his time running the Boise program, his record was there for everyone to see. If CU hadn't hired him another P5 program would have soon after.

The issue with him was that once he got here he didn't have systems in place and didn't know how to build them.

His teams never developed an identity. Every year we heard that they were going to be this or that and never were. How often did he put in a new offensive scheme only to abandon it three games into the season.

He was a fraud in that he had no substance to what he was selling and the players knew it.

Harsin may be totally different but I haven't seen anything he has built yet. This job is going to require a builder.

Does anyone have the classic photoshop picture of Dan Hawkins standing in front of Folsom on fire handy?

I used to post here about 10 years ago but took some time off. Forgot what my last handle used to be.

You can credit it to his assistants but Hawkins was outstanding in his time running the Boise program, his record was there for everyone to see. If CU hadn't hired him another P5 program would have soon after.

The issue with him was that once he got here he didn't have systems in place and didn't know how to build them.

His teams never developed an identity. Every year we heard that they were going to be this or that and never were. How often did he put in a new offensive scheme only to abandon it three games into the season.

He was a fraud in that he had no substance to what he was selling and the players knew it.

Harsin may be totally different but I haven't seen anything he has built yet. This job is going to require a builder.
Oh I don't think there's any doubt about that.

I also think Harsin's more likely at ASU than he is here.

Is this actually true though? I’m only interested now based on him being available and *gulp* mentioned as a potential candidate here. Ugh.

It seems BSU’s dropoff coincided more with their move from the WAC to the MWC. Harsin’s win percentage, both overall and in-conference, is pretty close to Petersen’s record the last 3 seasons in the MWC.

Back