What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs vs TCU - Sept 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks in that Texas heat could do the trick. I hope they are careful with how they work him.
Kid is from Dallas. He got that way living down there.

I don’t think there’s any way you can put him in a game this year. He has a very long path to take before he’s physically capable of playing a D-1 football game.

On the positive side, you need to be pretty strong just to carry that weight around. So if he can shed 125 Lbs, he could be really good.

SIAP but I did some research on TCU that I thought I'd share here.

Tcu had 8 NFL draft picks and 5 additional UDFAs for 13 total guys in the NFL now.

9 of those 13 were on offense. 7 of those were skill position guys. (1 QB, 2 RBs, 4 WRs oh and their TE transfered out)

Their new OC is Kendal Briles, who was at Arkansas last year. The same Arkansas team that had Jordan Domineck and Myles Slusher practicing against the offense every day. Could they provide some insights?

SIAP but I did some research on TCU that I thought I'd share here.

Tcu had 8 NFL draft picks and 5 additional UDFAs for 13 total guys in the NFL now.

9 of those 13 were on offense. 7 of those were skill position guys. (1 QB, 2 RBs, 4 WRs oh and their TE transfered out)

Their new OC is Kendal Briles, who was at Arkansas last year. The same Arkansas team that had Jordan Domineck and Myles Slusher practicing against the offense every day. Could they provide some insights?
Insight, yes. Just make sure to get the Briles offense into a down and short critical situation, then just let themselves implode.

This could go here or other places. After watching some of the recent videos, I have zero concern on the team gelling. It feels like they have nailed that.

There are obviously playbook understanding concerns - and I recognize that. I'm delighted TCU is replacing much of their offensive personnel and their OC for this year. They have some of the same issues.

I'm so looking forward to this game - it will be fascinating to watch.

Ok, so there is a lot of kool aid splashing around right now in various threads.

Reality is that our Buffs are +20.5 according to Vegas right now.

If the Buffs end up loosing by 3+ scores against TCU does your opinion about the team or the season change at all?

I’m very interested to see what happens when this team experiences adversity.

Ok, so there is a lot of kool aid splashing around right now in various threads.

If the Buffs end up loosing by 3+ scores against TCU does your opinion about the team or the season change at all?

Are you patient enough to wait for the playoffs?

Coach Sanders has me prepared for CU to win now. I expect to not only beat TCU, but to make them our little bitch.

A 3 TD+ loss in week one would validate the conventional wisdom from most media outlets right now that this program still has a long way to go before being competitive. It would also call into question why the self-driven hype was so strong this Summer and Fall if they are truly that far behind TCU, IMO.

However, Prime has backed up his talk in everything he’s ever done and I simply don’t believe he’d be hyping this team like this if he didn’t *know* exactly what he had.

The team should be better than last year. There is significantly more roster talent, and Karl Dorrell is among the worst offensive coaches in the modern era that have received multiple opportunities (having failed at Colorado as OC, UCLA as head coach, Vanderbilt as OC, and CU as head coach). Coaching will be better.

However, the degree of improvement is a complete mystery. National media know far less about this team than any of us do, so their opinions, good or bad, aren’t something I put any stock into.

I could go down the entire roster and give you contrasting points of view on each position group. Honestly, the only group on the roster I view as “proven” is the wide receivers. I’m optimistic on several other groups, but none are really proven.

The team should be better than last year. There is significantly more roster talent, and Karl Dorrell is among the worst offensive coaches in the modern era that have received multiple opportunities (having failed at Colorado as OC, UCLA as head coach, Vanderbilt as OC, and CU as head coach). Coaching will be better.

However, the degree of improvement is a complete mystery. National media know far less about this team than any of us do, so their opinions, good or bad, aren’t something I put any stock into.

I could go down the entire roster and give you contrasting points of view on each position group. Honestly, the only group on the roster I view as “proven” is the wide receivers. I’m optimistic on several other groups, but none are really proven.
I would say RB, WR and the Secondary positions are proven, especially Safety.

QB, while not proven at the P5 level, was so dominant at FCS level and had the talent and offers coming out that I would consider him as proven as anyone in the Pac outside of Williams, Penix, Nix and maybe Reising.

I also think Edge has requisite experience and guys who have proven to be able to play at SEC and ACC programs.

OL/DL are the biggest question marks

QB, while not proven at the P5 level, was so dominant at FCS level and had the talent and offers coming out that I would consider him as proven as anyone in the Pac outside of Williams, Penix, Nix and maybe Reising.

I also think Edge has requisite experience and guys who have proven to be able to play at SEC and ACC programs.

Those groups I’m optimistic about, but you could make a half full argument. Using RB, you have a transfer player coming off injury in a no contact jersey, a transfer that split reps at Kentucky, a RS freshman that showed flashes, and a true freshman blue chip. Not proven, but a lot of upside too.

Safety is proven; you’re right there.

I just find it curious that anyone thinks they can make a prediction other than CU will have between 0 and 12 wins. In fact, if I were a national writer, I’d probably write UNK in the prediction column and write a piece that discussed the complete inability for anyone to make a reasonable prognostication.

I was listening to the new podcast through The Athletic called “Until Saturday” and they among the conversation was “who’s the next 2022 TCU” and one of them made an aside that TCU was going to murder CU in week one, make the Prime hype come back down to earth and open CU fans’ eyes to what this season is actually going to be.

With all the attention he and CU have received over the past 8 months, you would think that national CFB analysts would have done a bit more research into what’s actually going on here. CU may lose to TCU in week one, but this is going to be a highly competitive team that is going to open some eyes, IMO
There are a lot of haters who want Prime and CU to fail because they don’t want to see the way this team was rebuilt be successful.

IMO RB is pretty overhyped on AB. Smoke was largely a career backup and the guy from UH is coming off an injury. I’d put more trust in Edwards and Hankerson right now until proven otherwise. I agree about OL and DL.

It would be great if we were starting with CSU and had TCU and Nubs as the 2nd and 3rd games. The Buffs could play pretty well at TCU as the opener and lose just because of working thru some first game kinks.

Hip-Hop What GIF by T-Pain

I assume he is not an every down player. :LOL:

I just find it curious that anyone thinks they can make a prediction other than CU will have between 0 and 12 wins. In fact, if I were a national writer, I’d probably write UNK in the prediction column and write a piece that discussed the complete inability for anyone to make a reasonable prognostication.
That's not how you internet. You must choose from headline A:
13 Reasons Why Coach Prime And The Buffs Will Be National Title Contenders Immediately

or headline B:
Ex-NFL star and media personality Deion "Prime Time" Sanders' big gamble, and why he's doomed the entire state of Colorado

WTF?

Hankerson with 300 career yards? over Smoke with 1,500 career yards? Dude.
I believe that Smoke’s 1500 yds were over 4 years. At the very least it’s 3. Career backup.

Last edited:
The obvious Achilles heel for this team is its lack of depth. We can’t afford key losses. I just knocked on wood.

That's not how you internet. You must choose from headline A:
13 Reasons Why Coach Prime And The Buffs Will Be National Title Contenders Immediately

or headline B:
Ex-NFL star and media personality Deion "Prime Time" Sanders' big gamble, and why he's doomed the entire state of Colorado
Post of The Year.

I think the line is about right, but I lean toward CU covering. It would be a shock if this team comes out and wins against TCU in their first game. There will be missed assignments and things the coaches overlooked or haven’t installed yet. Communication will be rough. Too many things have to come together on too little practice time. If the game were later in the season, I’d give CU a better chance and I expect significant improvement game to game.

I don’t think adversity is a problem any more than usual, the players are bought in and a loss in week one will probably motivate them better for week two.

I guess it would depend on how those 3+ scores happen. If CU lost by 17 and let up a garbage-time touchdown, that's much different to me than scoring a garbage-time touchdown to lose by 21.

I mean, last year's team was competitive for a half with TCU. It shouldn't be too much to ask to keep it close for a while.

I'd be very interested in @manhattanbuff take on that spread. IIRC, he made a lot of money fading the Buffs last year and I believe he was also saying that early-season point spreads in NCAAF are notoriously inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back