What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

Yeah, I mean go for Sark and when we missed on him, go with Chev as the interim

Meh. I found Chev's politicking for the job childish. I was fine with hiring somebody else and giving Chev another shot to be a coordinator-even though he didn't wow me in 2018 under FHCMM-in particular after Viska got hurt. That being said, he's nowhere near being ready to run a Power 5 program. Its not working. Time to move on.

Dorrell did do a good job last year. He got this team to a bowl despite not being able to do anything with them for the first few months after he got hired because of COVID. We also didn't lose a game because of a COVID outbreak within our program. I thought Tyson Summers was a bad coordinator hire when Mel Tucker made it (both his coordinators didn't exactly light the world on fire in 2019 for that matter)-and the results during his two years here proved that correct. Dorrell did the smart thing hanging on to him for last year-and also made the correct decision to fire him. He's upgraded with Wilson, who looks to be a keeper. You can't fault the defense at all for the last three games-the 2000 Ravens or 2015 Broncos (who ran it well) would have wilted with an offense that was this bad. The concern I have is this thing totally going off the rails this year-If this team doesn't win again or only beats Arizona, a change has to be a consideration. That's a massive step back-and one that no program can handle. Best case scenario-we get to 3-9/4-8 and make over what we're doing offensively, and that may or may not involve Brendon Lewis-who should not be playing right now. Nik and I got into a twitter exchange over becoming an option team-and I don't see that being successful either. If I'm a DC going up against CU, I'm still putting 10 in the box because I know CU can't throw the ball. One more sub 100 yard passing game from BL and Carter needs to start for a while. Post USC would be the ideal time to make a change because there's a bye on October 9th before Arizona comes here.

Last edited:
Tucker was a very good hire, and from all accounts he was close on Ryan Day to the point that Urban Meyer retired pretty abruptly. And going after Sark was the right move, so he seems to target the right guys…..with one glaring exception. I know it was a tough time to be hiring a coach but if it’s true that RG:

1) failed to follow through on promises he made to Tucker, and
2) had a hand in dismantling the recruiting operation Tucker put in place, and
3) was forcing Chev and Hagan on the new staff and that in any way cost CU a chance at hiring Sark

then this is entirely a problem of his own making and is as much to blame for this mess as anyone.
1 and 3 were discussed around here at the time by multiple people, but ultimately they are rumors/speculation, hence the “if”’in my post. 2 happened, we can all see it, and Dorrell didn’t do it so the number of people who could have been responsible is pretty small.

Any AD is going to be handicapped by the Regents that are voted by the voters who keep moving in from out of state. For as long as it took to get rid of the caps on multi-year coaching contracts, it's going to be awhile before the regent voting stuff changes from voters to being selected by the governor.

We allowed Bohn to hire a third coach (MacIntyre) after whiffing on Hawkins & Embree so George should be allowed to make the next football coaching hire if not one more after that. With the new P12 commissioner emphasizing football & basketball, CU will have to go all in with the next football coaching hire.

SMH.... SMU vs TCU SMU had a big D on their helmet and Dallas on the front of their jersey.
It's S M U...and they figured out how to make bank..
The pretend P12 needs to figure it's **** out or get so far behind.
I DVR 1/2 of the Buff games then watch...the commercials are not worth sitting through.
The P12 has no muscle/leverage for prime time slots the #3 team that beat tOSU at home kicking off at 9:30

SMH.... SMU vs TCU SMU had a big D on their helmet and Dallas on the front of their jersey.
It's S M U...and they figured out how to make bank..
The pretend P12 needs to figure it's **** out or get so far behind.
I DVR 1/2 of the Buff games then watch...the commercials are not worth sitting through.
The P12 has no muscle/leverage for prime time slots the #3 team that beat tOSU at home kicking off at 9:30
Never copy something that SMU does. That’s the one college football team that did such a poor job of cheating that the ncaa killed them.

I always liked Rick and he did a good job fund raising early on, but now he's complacent and the nature of the job has passed him by.

Someone much younger and more aggressive, please.

What’s the story behind this Kelli Brooks? Where did she get her money?

I kind of wrote off that RG had had back surgery during the coaching search and couldn't even fly. But i think we have to seriously ask how ****ing high was he that he thought this hire made sense?
Everyone questioned it. We all tried to talk ourselves into how it could work, and it's played out exactly how every other opportunity he's had went. This wasn't a home run hire that fell apart.

Last edited:
3 bad hires? Bohn hired MacIntyre.

Tucker was a really good hire imo. He did in fact bungle that contract which gave him an absurdly low buyout that allowed him to leave so early. Tucker should still be here or we should have at least like $4mil more in the bank. Would have made a difference with the salary pool for the current assistant group
Was the buyout for Tucker low because, I assume, the payout if he was terminated was low? Maybe the contract was hedging in case Tucker sucked and CU had to make a change. **** if I know.

Was the buyout for Tucker low because, I assume, the payout if he was terminated was low? Maybe the contract was hedging in case Tucker sucked and CU had to make a change. **** if I know.
The buyout was too low. Only $3mil after one year. Zero % chance he was fired by then. Should have been like $7mil. Either MSU was unwilling to pay or at least we have a lot more $$ if Tucker still leaves

The buyout was too low. Only $3mil after one year. Zero % chance he was fired by then. Should have been like $7mil. Either MSU was unwilling to pay or at least we have a lot more $$ if Tucker still leaves
Yeah. It doesn’t matter why his buyout was so low. It was a horrible contract that didn’t serve CU’s best interests.

I kind of wrote off that RG had had back surgery during the coaching search and couldn't even fly. But i think we have to seriously ask how ****ing high was he that he thought this hire made sense?
Everyone questioned it. We all tried to talk ourselves into how it could work, and it's played out exactly how every other opportunity he's had went. This wasn't a home run hire that fell apart.
Speak for yourself.

I told y’all this would be a disaster.

I love “I told ya so!” posts. :)
RollTad said “we all….” It was not all of us. Last year, many of you were talking about how great the team was, etc. without looking at the core metrics for success at this level. Last year’s team was due for a mean reversion in a bizarre year, When the recruiting class sucked, we got the same incorrect tired excuse “we just need to win first!” The problem with that thinking is that recruiting is a necessary component for winning at this level.

Y’all can hate me all you want. I’m not going to stop telling the truth. I want this program to succeed. I stopped being a donor when the AD gave up on the goals and values he himself set forth.

RollTad said “we all….” It was not all of us. Last year, many of you were talking about how great the team was, etc. without looking at the core metrics for success at this level. Last year’s team was due for a mean reversion in a bizarre year, When the recruiting class sucked, we got the same incorrect tired excuse “we just need to win first!” The problem with that thinking is that recruiting is a necessary component for winning at this level.

Y’all can hate me all you want. I’m not going to stop telling the truth. I want this program to succeed. I stopped being a donor when the AD gave up on the goals and values he himself set forth.
That last sentence is interesting. RG did indeed set individual sport metrics in the 3-yr Strat Plan. Then promptly ignored them.

There was definitely a good-sized contingent that hated the hire, yourself included. There was almost no one, on this site at least, that met the hiring of Dorrell with enthusiasm. The group in the middle was kind of like “well, he’s been hired, track record isn’t so good, hasn’t been in college in a long time, but he did go to bowls at UCLA, so there’s that. Is he really any worse than Jim Mora, Jr.?”. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Fans have to have hope, though, so they seek any glimmer.

Last edited:
Back