What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

CU leadership should care. A lot. And if they don’t, it further justifies me severing all ties to the place.
I personally have messaged RG about this matter. He does not think this is an issue.

Edit: I’m glad white knight of racists thinks that my posts about the Athletic Director following fascists on twitter is funny. Brilliant.

Last edited:
Hank Schrader Circle Jerk GIF by Better Call Saul

B

Broken Printer is a ****ing idiot and a liar
What they posted in that message was not idiotic, nor a lie.

I’ll ask again: did you read the message? They make the distinct levels of RG’s problematic follows very clear. So far, the only replies have been about generic “people with whom you disagree” ideas. It is not specific. When one actually examines his follows, seeing people who, for instance, willingly cite the “14 words” is quite disturbing.

You guys ever wonder what decisions in your life led you to the point where you’re reading emotional arguments (between people you don’t know) about the ethical basis of the Twitter follows of an old man (you’ve never met) who is tasked with making 18 year old kids (you also don’t know) play a game (you didn’t play) each fall for your enjoyment?

You guys ever wonder what decisions in your life led you to the point where you’re reading emotional arguments (between people you don’t know) about the ethical basis of the Twitter follows of an old man (you’ve never met) who is tasked with making 18 year old kids (you also don’t know) play a game (you didn’t play) each fall for your enjoyment?
You’re here too, bub.

Enjoyment? Hardly.

Be careful with the term Nazi. It isn’t meant for people who don’t share your views.
It is meant to describe people who systematically and mechanically tortured and slaughtered millions of their fellow citizens and citizens of countries they conquered.
I don’t see any of those in his follows
Gorka... is a literal Nazi. And i agree, don't throw Nazi around unless its deserved... but Fascist fits a lot of those people on that list to T

There was a post after that one which listed a number of progressives RG follows.

I know he's a conservative politically. However, he does work for a political board that's pretty evenly split between parties and he also has politically diverse stakeholders with whom he works. Also, his actions show a pretty solid record with diversity hiring.

I think he's used bad judgment with some of these follows, but I think there's a lot of evidence that he's not bringing the more radical views expressed in the referenced tweets to his job or publicly supporting those views.
I don't know, dude.

For starters, the post said that he followed "progressives", and then proceeded to list 2 famous musical artists (Bebe Rexha and Gwen Stefani), a "vocal Trump critic" who also happens to be a mentor for CU student athletes (a more relevant connection to RG than his political beliefs, I think), the Colorado Secretary of State who happens to be public enemy number one for local "Big Lie" proponents like Tina Peters, and a "black women in sports" scholar (I would also suggest that the work performed by this scholar is relevant to his job as a college sports AD). Clearly irrelevant to his job as a college sports AD are any ideas by white supremacists like Faith Goldy.

Additionally, it's really weak sauce to try to create an equivalence between any of those accounts and the accounts for people like Seb Gorka, Faith Goldy, and Jack Posobiec for reasons that I hope you understand.

I don't find his "record on diversity hires" as particularly compelling "evidence" that he doesn't let this thinking influence his work at CU, nor do I find it particularly relevant- the truth is that no man can know what truly lies in another's heart. But the fact that he follows those accounts does beg the question. I do not find it appropriate, at all, that he's comfortable enough to follow Faith Goldy on his account where he's clearly listed as a CU representative.

I don't know, dude.

For starters, the post said that he followed "progressives", and then proceeded to list 2 famous musical artists (Bebe Rexha and Gwen Stefani), a "vocal Trump critic" who also happens to be a mentor for CU student athletes (a more relevant connection to RG than his political beliefs, I think), the Colorado Secretary of State who happens to be public enemy number one for local "Big Lie" proponents like Tina Peters, and a "black women in sports" scholar (I would also suggest that the work performed by this scholar is relevant to his job as a college sports AD). Clearly irrelevant to his job as a college sports AD are any ideas by white supremacists like Faith Goldy.

Additionally, it's really weak sauce to try to create an equivalence between any of those accounts and the accounts for people like Seb Gorka, Faith Goldy, and Jack Posobiec for reasons that I hope you understand.

I don't find his "record on diversity hires" as particularly compelling "evidence" that he doesn't let this thinking influence his work at CU, nor do I find it particularly relevant- the truth is that no man can know what truly lies in another's heart. But the fact that he follows those accounts does beg the question. I do not find it appropriate, at all, that he's comfortable enough to follow Faith Goldy on his account where he's clearly listed as a CU representative.
I disagree. In the context of this conversation, if you and others are arguing that following these individuals means RG holds the same values and beliefs as them, then I think his hiring practices are very relevant and I think it’s extremely compelling evidence that he does not, in fact, let the opinions of Gorka and Goldy influence his work at CU. To say otherwise is you just making an outlandish claim to support your personal narrative.

Right wing is fine even if I strongly disagree. This is still America. If he's supported something illegal, prejudicial or dehumanizing, that's where I draw the line.
My issue with it is using his CU account to do so. Most public figures (and Rick is absolutely a public figure) have 2 accounts, one professional, one personal.

At a minimum, I find his behavior surprising unprofessional. And that's without inserting my personal judgments on who he is following, liking, and retweeting.

I don't know, dude.

I posted that list you’re referring to and I never used the word “progressives” that you put in quotes. I also wasn’t intending to paint him as some political moderate or make really any conclusions about the man.

It was a random sampling of follows meant to illustrate the point that it’s hard to make much sense of a person by just looking at their Twitter follows.

Y’all can say whatever you want about “free thought” or whatever, but you’re still defending RG getting his Twitter info directly from fascists.

Unless and until you have some facts to rebut the post below instead of your faux outrage, spare me the cancel culture nonsense…
Dude you are so morally superior. I’m envious. Excellent work.

A guy who seeks funds from politicians follows a political figure he would seek said funds from, and fans are calling for his head? Man, it is a tough time to live in the real world.
The AD does not seek funds from any politicians that I'm aware of in the state of Colorado.

Be careful with the term Nazi. It isn’t meant for people who don’t share your views.
It is meant to describe people who systematically and mechanically tortured and slaughtered millions of their fellow citizens and citizens of countries they conquered.
I don’t see any of those in his follows
It actually doesn't mean that, although Hitler's Nazi's did torture and slaughter. It is not exclusive only to Nazi Germany.

Nazism is a form of fascism, with disdain for liberal democracy and the parliamentary system. It incorporates fervent antisemitism, anti-communism, scientific racism, and the use of eugenics into its creed.

With that said, it is a bad look for him to be following people like Faith Goldy on an official CU account. There's not a redemptive way to frame his following that account- Goldy is an unabashed white supremacist and white nationalist.

If he wants to follow that account, he should do so using a separate, private account.
I am not sure what the definition of an "official CU account" is, but I am pretty sure that RG's Twitter account isn't one. RG was hired by CU in August 2013. Per his Twitter profile, the account in question was created in August 2009. To me an "official" account would be one that was created by, or at least owned by, the university. An account created four years before he was hired doesn't count, unless he somehow legally transferred ownership of the account to CU, which is a possibly but I doubt that the game would be worth the candle for either party to draw up such a contract. So, it appears to be a private account that he uses for both private purposes and in his capacity as AD, and which he will no doubt keep once he moves on to other pastures. While I think someone in a political position (no doubt RG is in a political position) should not mix personal and official communications, there it is. Unless CU has a policy against it, they are allowing it.

That being said, this whole idea of what I will call "followcrime" (yes, I am promiscuously borrowing from Orwell) is inane. When I was younger I used to read a magazine in my high school library called "Soviet Life." Not because I was a commie, but because I wanted to see what the commies were saying. Similarly when at CU I would go to Norlin and read the English edition of Pravda when it was available, for the same reason. I have followed lots of people I vehemently disagree with on Twitter for the same reason. Reading someone's tweets, or following them (really just a mechanism to read their tweets) is not tantamount to endorsement. I don't know that I had ever heard of Sebastian Gorka before I unfortunately stumbled on this thread, but looking at his Twitter thread (oh the horror! head for the fainting couch!) he seems like a typical right-wing twitter blowhard. Hardly serious followcrime.

It just needs a drive by post by BigBang to make it complete!

Imaginary bigbang post for this thread:

"RG's tweets supported a separatist political movement in Sri Lanka. A known fact, plus the Sri Lankans have some fast athletes - look for some of them to show up on the rosters at Utah State and Montana. We could do a lot worse. Recruiting footprint can extend beyond Samoa and Hawaii, and before anyone piles on, I do know the difference between the Pacific and the Indian Oceans."

Back