What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CFP recommended to expand to 12-team model

Honest question for you-how many bowl games do you watch a year? They serve a purpose-but there have been years (especially when the Buffs don't make bowls) where I don't watch anything outside of the CFP.
Prior to the CFP (and BCS) every single one. Now - onesy twosy.

1) Nobody seems to have a problem with the NCAA Tournament having 64 teams in it, but CFP goes to 12 and everyone loses their minds.

2) There are 125 division 1 programs and we only get to see 4 compete for the title? Needs to be expanded.

3) The outcome is rarely going to change. You may seen an upset or two but in football the odds of an inferior team running the table are slim to none.

4) Bowl games used to be a ton of fun to watch, but they are just exhibition games. Unless you want to go back to the BCS era of computers picking your champion, they just don't serve a purpose.

I am in favor of the expansion, but now my fear is that if OU and Texas join the SEC, the SEC won't stop there. Add a few more teams, including Clemson, and stop non-conference games with other P5 conferences. SEC could create their own mini-NFL with their own 8 team playoff and crown their winner champion every year.

I am in favor of the expansion, but now my fear is that if OU and Texas join the SEC, the SEC won't stop there. Add a few more teams, including Clemson, and stop non-conference games with other P5 conferences. SEC could create their own mini-NFL with their own 8 team playoff and crown their winner champion every year.
Clemson has a way more favorable set up in the ACC than any of the SEC teams. Why would they want to move?

The SEC loves them some nonconference games against directional schools to pad their schedule and limit the number of potential losses. Why would they want to change that?

1) Nobody seems to have a problem with the NCAA Tournament having 64 teams in it, but CFP goes to 12 and everyone loses their minds.

2) There are 125 division 1 programs and we only get to see 4 compete for the title? Needs to be expanded.

3) The outcome is rarely going to change. You may seen an upset or two but in football the odds of an inferior team running the table are slim to none.

4) Bowl games used to be a ton of fun to watch, but they are just exhibition games. Unless you want to go back to the BCS era of computers picking your champion, they just don't serve a purpose.
The people complaining about a 12 team playoff are the same people who want college football to go back to what it was in the 80's, which will never happen. The same people who complain about someone walking on their lawn.

It’s possible to be nostalgic about how college football used to be while accepting the current system is what we are stuck with. I don’t have to like it, but I understand that this is how things are.

It’s possible to be nostalgic about how college football used to be while accepting the current system is what we are stuck with. I don’t have to like it, but I understand that this is how things are.
It’s also possible that people (like you and me) who are nostalgic for the way it used to be and can’t do anything to change the way it is going, may elect to tune out. All this NIL SEC mega conference 12-team playoff may just accelerate my disinterest.

That's fair.

However, there are a lot of people who are very vocal that we need to go back to the old model and they prefer that model.

Well now that Texass and Ou are are rumored to be very interested in joining the SEC, so much for the B-12. If that happens, they can go back to being the Big 8 and
Texass and Ou will have to forget about having 10-2 winning records, more like 8-4

UT will have precious few 10 win seasons in the SEC, it's true.... until they go to 13 game seasons to preserve the SEC's non-conference cupcake parade.

Honest question for you-how many bowl games do you watch a year? They serve a purpose-but there have been years (especially when the Buffs don't make bowls) where I don't watch anything outside of the CFP.
I dont watch as much as I used to by any means. Dont follow the rankings anymore (do they still come out on tuesday?).

In thinking this over more and more I think a 12 team playoff will be good and will add some drama and intrigue that the bowls always lacked (TV Ratings, butts in seats were their priority). A four team playoff excludes the chance for a Boise State or some other feel good story where David beats Goliath. i think this expansion will be good in the end.

I give it two years before we see an expansion of the regular season to 13, maybe even 14 games. Money has been driving the bus for all this stuff. More games means more money. Now that the athletes are paid for their services (indirectly), there is not much of an argument to be made that they’re amateur athletes with class schedules to account for. Hell, might even be 15 or 16 games. Why not?

I give it two years before we see an expansion of the regular season to 13, maybe even 14 games. Money has been driving the bus for all this stuff. More games means more money. Now that the athletes are paid for their services (indirectly), there is not much of an argument to be made that they’re amateur athletes with class schedules to account for. Hell, might even be 15 or 16 games. Why not?

Don't forget the roster sizes and that only the top 10-20% (higher, lower? That's really just a rough guess although that number will be higher at the likes of LSU, UGA, tOSU etc than here) will be pulling in real decent money.

It's the same in the NFL where people just see the stars who make eight figures a year whereas 80% of the guys in the league are just fighting for a job and to stick around for three years to get the NFL pension if they're lucky.

Don't forget the roster sizes and that only the top 10-20% (higher, lower? That's really just a rough guess although that number will be higher at the likes of LSU, UGA, tOSU etc than here) will be pulling in real decent money.

It's the same in the NFL where people just see the stars who make eight figures a year whereas 80% of the guys in the league are just fighting for a job and to stick around for three years to get the NFL pension if they're lucky.
I’m not forgetting that, but like I said - money is driving this bus. And they just eliminated one of the biggest obstacles to an expanded regular season. If the SEC is going to have (checks notes) 16 teams, they will have to expand the regular season. It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when and how many games are added.

I’m not forgetting that, but like I said - money is driving this bus. And they just eliminated one of the biggest obstacles to an expanded regular season. If the SEC is going to have (checks notes) 16 teams, they will have to expand the regular season. It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when and how many games are added.

That's true but there will be a breaking point somewhere at some time.

if they overdo this quite a few people may make the jump to the NFL if the upper tier of CFB really does become a mini NFL and say I'll just go and watch the real thing than a hybrid minor league just to see the top prospects before they come to the NFL.

That's true but there will be a breaking point somewhere at some time.

if they overdo this quite a few people may make the jump to the NFL if the upper tier of CFB really does become a mini NFL and say I'll just go and watch the real thing than a hybrid minor league just to see the top prospects before they come to the NFL.
The thing that will always separate CFB from the NFL is the emotional ties and "ownership" CFB fans have in the alma maters and that isn't going to change. I'm a die hard Broncos fan and have been my entire life, but that fandom will never compare to my emotional tie to CU. Colorado football was appointment television for me during the Hawkins and Embree years. I will routinely miss Bronco games in the second half of the season if they aren't competing for a playoff spot.

The thing that will always separate CFB from the NFL is the emotional ties and "ownership" CFB fans have in the alma maters and that isn't going to change. I'm a die hard Broncos fan and have been my entire life, but that fandom will never compare to my emotional tie to CU. Colorado football was appointment television for me during the Hawkins and Embree years. I will routinely miss Bronco games in the second half of the season if they aren't competing for a playoff spot.

It is, but I think the underlying question is the alumni v fans thing and how important each side is. The alumni will have a harder time going away than the fans as there are stronger emotional ties, but how many fans does college football need and to what degree can alumni alone can keep things "sustainable" (i cant find a better word right now). What is the right formula or mix to keep things going? I am unable to answer that question, but I think that's the key question here as the sport needs both.

I have to say it's refreshing to hear Pac12 people discussing the 9 game conference schedule in terms of "our decision hurt us, maybe we should stop it" instead of "its not fair those other conferences aren't hurting themselves too!"
It’s not going away. The ACC will be the only conference with an 8 game schedule fairly soon after the SEC goes to 16 teams.

It is, but I think the underlying question is the alumni v fans thing and how important each side is. The alumni will have a harder time going away than the fans as there are stronger emotional ties, but how many fans does college football need and to what degree can alumni alone can keep things "sustainable" (i cant find a better word right now). What is the right formula or mix to keep things going? I am unable to answer that question, but I think that's the key question here as the sport needs both.
Fair, but I think in the South, CFB is valued just as much if not more than the NFL. Places like Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Georgia, Carolinas, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, and even Texas where there are either no NFL teams or the flagship programs in NFL states like Georgia, LSU, Texas, aTm, Clemson, SC, UNC, UF, FSU, Miami, etc often outdraw and outrate the Falcons, Dolphins, Panthers, Bucs, Jags, Titans, Texans. I think that CFB in that region of the country is bulletproof.

Fair, but I think in the South, CFB is valued just as much if not more than the NFL. Places like Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Georgia, Carolinas, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, and even Texas where there are either no NFL teams or the flagship programs in NFL states like Georgia, LSU, Texas, aTm, Clemson, SC, UNC, UF, FSU, Miami, etc often outdraw and outrate the Falcons, Dolphins, Panthers, Bucs, Jags, Titans, Texans. I think that CFB in that region of the country is bulletproof.

Yes, but that's one region and even in those regions the focus of some fans may shift depending on what their priorities are and why they got into it into the first place.

CFB needs to be careful to not lose what makes it special to many and what sets it apart from the NFL as CFB will never be able to compete with the NFL on the field as the NFL is just a higher level, but many are willing to accept the imperfection of CFB as other factors make up for it.

It’s not going away. The ACC will be the only conference with an 8 game schedule fairly soon after the SEC goes to 16 teams.
then the ACC will feel a lot of pressure to also from simple availability of opponents, never mind political / public pressure.

The Pac-12's new commissioner said out loud this week what his peers had been thinking for the last seven days: College Football Playoff expansion must be reconsidered. Not so much the actual expansion itself, but how there seems to be a bum rush towards it.

cbs link

Back