What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado at Washington State - October 19, 5pm, ESPNU

IMO, the only chance the Buffs have in this game is to dominate on the ground and limit the amount of possessions WSU has, while of course scoring TDs, not FGs. Defense will obviously have to get a few stops, but I don't think our offense is good enough to keep up in a shootout.

Our offensive players are good enough. They are limited by the OC and his playcalling

not sure stormtrooper is a great look when it's gonna be 45 and rainy. I hope their field is turf.

he's had some issues in the red zone, but this seems overly simplistic.
Stupid penalties last week turned short yardage, goal to go situations into 7-10+ yard to go situations and ultimately cost them multiple scores. There's definitely a lot more to the red zone woes than bad playcalling.

Stupid penalties last week turned short yardage, goal to go situations into 7-10+ yard to go situations and ultimately cost them multiple scores. There's definitely a lot more to the red zone woes than bad playcalling.
and against zona the problem was running too much and too predictably in the 4th. we broke trend in a big way against Oregon early on by passing 3 times. Can't really say we've been against running in the red zone. I think the culprit, outside of penalties, has really been sup-par play by our injured/notsogood TE group. And of course, Montez not being great processing things down there.

and against zona the problem was running too much and too predictably in the 4th. we broke trend in a big way against Oregon early on by passing 3 times. Can't really say we've been against running in the red zone. I think the culprit, outside of penalties, has really been sup-par play by our injured/notsogood TE group. And of course, Montez not being great processing things down there.
If CU doesn't get big play TD's they struggle mightly in the red zone. I think part of that is the QB and part of it is not really having a threat in the red zone (other than Viska). This is why having a big, play making TE is so crucial in the red zone.

Last edited:
The WSU defense shouldn’t be too hard to run against. We’ve played a couple tougher defenses in the last couple weeks. Oregon in particular, but UA has gotten their act together since the disaster in Hawaii.
Long story short- if we have it first and goal at the five, look for us to push it in on the ground. Nothing fancy should be necessary.

The WSU defense shouldn’t be too hard to run against. We’ve played a couple tougher defenses in the last couple weeks. Oregon in particular, but UA has gotten their act together since the disaster in Hawaii.
Long story short- if we have it first and goal at the five, look for us to push it in on the ground. Nothing fancy should be necessary.

FWIW, Arizona is ranked 104 on defense in the latest SP+ rankings. They are still bad.

Any rankings that have the CU offense ranked in the top 15 in the country need to be taken with an entire bottle of salt

Okay. But Arizona just gave up 38 in the second half to Washington Saturday night. They very well could have given up 40+ to CU with better play in key situations. I am confident in saying Hawaii was only a slight outlier for them.

Okay. But Arizona just gave up 38 in the second half to Washington Saturday night. They very well could have given up 40+ to CU with better play in key situations. I am confident in saying Hawaii was only a slight outlier for them.
Agreed. My comment, while not necessary in this context, was more of a standalone shot at the advanced stats that say our offense is anything more than an average FBS unit.

Something has to go right for us again in Pullman eventually. 2017 game was so bad...

C/ATT
YDSTDINTQBR
S. Noyer7/18530013.0
S. Montez4/1321003.4
C. Marksberry2/3200022.2
TEAM13/349400

The last two games combined in Pullman... 3 points.

Will be interesting to see how both teams react on Saturday because it is a must win for both sides.
WSU is such an interesting challenge. They don’t have a talent advantage, but can certainly be argued to have a scheme advantage.

They aren’t a no hoper like Oregon was, but you have to hope that things are going your way that day.

WSU is such an interesting challenge. They don’t have a talent advantage, but can certainly be argued to have a scheme advantage.

They aren’t a no hoper like Oregon was, but you have to hope that things are going your way that day.

same with AFA - see what happened there...also our D's Achilles heal if definitely going against their strength

Getting a completely healthy Maddox will help this weekend. I wonder if they try Rakestraw at corner or even Star? This is a bad match-up for Taylor at star.

Going to try to make it -- have to stop off at Central Washington U first to see the #2 kiddo, but heck, Pullman's just a boring 3 hour drive away, right?

Not really feeling super confident given the weather forecast, but hopefully Montez can channel his father's connections to the Raiders and get some stick-em for his fingers! Paging Lester Hayes, anyone???

Back