What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado at Washington State - October 19, 5pm, ESPNU

Going to try to make it -- have to stop off at Central Washington U first to see the #2 kiddo, but heck, Pullman's just a boring 3 hour drive away, right?

Not really feeling super confident given the weather forecast, but hopefully Montez can channel his father's connections to the Raiders and get some stick-em for his fingers! Paging Lester Hayes, anyone???
How is Ellensburg? That seems like an under the radar cool college town not far from the mountains.

Wonder if Wazzu will stick to the air raid if the weather is really bad or if they'll change it up a little bit. Was it two seasons ago when it rained during the game? Either way, I think bad weather might be in CU's favor this time. I like what Fontenot and Mangham have been able to do for most of the season. Pound the rock on an undersized Wazzu defense that struggles tackling.

Getting a completely healthy Maddox will help this weekend. I wonder if they try Rakestraw at corner or even Star? This is a bad match-up for Taylor at star.
I think CU will be in the dime more than nickle, meaning Taylor inside at Money rather than outside at Money. Just a guess. If so, This is if CU can find another DB. Means Luckett or Perry have to play.

Wonder if Wazzu will stick to the air raid if the weather is really bad or if they'll change it up a little bit. Was it two seasons ago when it rained during the game? Either way, I think bad weather might be in CU's favor this time. I like what Fontenot and Mangham have been able to do for most of the season. Pound the rock on an undersized Wazzu defense that struggles tackling.
He will not change. Dink, dunk, flat, swing, slant, cross, hook, out. They don’t really throw downfield much with this year’s team.

Will be interesting to see how both teams react on Saturday because it is a must win for both sides.
It’s mainly a must win because they’re playing each other, which for each side looks like the most winnable game remaining on the schedule. Well not completely true, WSU gets Oregon State at home later on.

It’s mainly a must win because they’re playing each other, which for each side looks like the most winnable game remaining on the schedule. Well not completely true, WSU gets Oregon State at home later on.
And we play UCLA still.

The OC sends in multiple plays to Montez and Montez picks the play based on coverage. I agree that Coach Johnson should stop giving Montez power.

Never should have had that kind of power in the first place-I could probably count on one hand the number of college QBs who I think deserve that kind of leeway from their coaches and Steven's nowhere near that list.

Never should have had that kind of power in the first place-I could probably count on one hand the number of college QBs who I think deserve that kind of leeway from their coaches and Steven's nowhere near that list.
The staff really trusts him. They shouldn’t. Hopefully Coach Johnson gets him reigned back in on a tighter leash.

How is Ellensburg? That seems like an under the radar cool college town not far from the mountains.
it's a cute college town. Not a lot to do per se in terms of shopping, but the old downtown has decent eateries and Iron Horse Brewing is generally solid on tap. There are a few wineries here and there, and it's just a quick trip to Wenatchee for more wineries. Go to Leavenworth for some Old German charm and a killer schnitzel. EPC is pretty good for the pasta crowd, and U Totem is the place for the original greasy cheeseburger -- but you'll still like yourself in the morning.

The campus is really pretty, and they've invested heavily the past few years in the U, so there's that as well.

He will not change. Dink, dunk, flat, swing, slant, cross, hook, out. They don’t really throw downfield much with this year’s team.
Gordon is actually throwing deep balls much more than last year. Averaging 8.8 yards per attempt. Minshew in 2018 averaged 7.2 yards per and Falk in 2017 averaged 6.7. This is surprising to most Coug fans, as Minshew loved to dump passes off the RBs and hit shorter crossing routes, let the athletes make plays. Gordon is definitely taking more shots and just going deep at times.

Love your guy's board. Had a blast last year in Boulder and can't wait to get back. If anyone is coming up this year, I can offer some pregame ideas! Should be a ton of points Saturday afternoon.

Gordon is actually throwing deep balls much more than last year. Averaging 8.8 yards per attempt. Minshew in 2018 averaged 7.2 yards per and Falk in 2017 averaged 6.7. This is surprising to most Coug fans, as Minshew loved to dump passes off the RBs and hit shorter crossing routes, let the athletes make plays. Gordon is definitely taking more shots and just going deep at times.

Love your guy's board. Had a blast last year in Boulder and can't wait to get back. If anyone is coming up this year, I can offer some pregame ideas! Should be a ton of points Saturday afternoon.
Falk, after a couple drives to get adjusted, played maybe the most efficient and precise bad weather QB game I've ever seen when you guys blew us out up there in 2017. (Montez's worst game as a Buff, too.)

Falk, after a couple drives to get adjusted, played maybe the most efficient and precise bad weather QB game I've ever seen when you guys blew us out up there in 2017. (Montez's worst game as a Buff, too.)

Agreed with that, Falk was very precise throughout his career. Was kinda his style.

Gordon is more of a gun slinger type that will throw it deep much more often. He also throws two to four passes a game that to right to the Middle LB or Safety and we are lucky if that defender drops it. It's like he can't see over the middle of the field and throws without looking at the coverage.

Thanks for info.

What are yac this year vs last year? Completion percentage? YPA does not necessarily mean more deep balls, but I trust your impressions being there.

Last edited:
Thanks for info.

What are yac this year vs last year? Completion percentage? YPA does not necessarily mean more deep balls, but I trust your impressions being there.

Gordon is at 71.3% completion percentage
Minshew was 70.7% last year
Falk was 66.9% in 2017

Not sure where to find advanced stats with YAC, but I feel like it's similar to last year having watched the games. Gordon is throwing some guys open per se, while others make contested catches. Seems we had really good YACs against OOC teams, especially Northern Colorado and New Mexico St, because who wouldn't and it has come down since as the athletes match up better?

Gordon is at 71.3% completion percentage
Minshew was 70.7% last year
Falk was 66.9% in 2017

Not sure where to find advanced stats with YAC, but I feel like it's similar to last year having watched the games. Gordon is throwing some guys open per se, while others make contested catches. Seems we had really good YACs against OOC teams, especially Northern Colorado and New Mexico St, because who wouldn't and it has come down since as the athletes match up better?
I think all this comes down to what version 0f AR Leach will use given weather.

Down the field? Or underneath? Or doesn’t matter?

Your thoughts word uated.

Leach doesn't change anything for any opponent or any weather. (See Apple Cup last year :confused: ) Which is absurd given that RB Max Borghi is probably our best offensive weapon, especially in weather like is predicted for Saturday.

That leaves some of it up to the QB to change plays at the line of scrimmage, but again, with a gunslinger QB, he also doesn't give an F about the weather. Obviously the Air Raid is designed to stretch the field horizontally and vertically and get it equally to all five skill positions, so there will most likely be the same mix of down field shots and underneath hits with 9-10 run plays thrown in throughout the game.

I think CU will be in the dime more than nickle, meaning Taylor inside at Money rather than outside at Money. Just a guess. If so, This is if CU can find another DB. Means Luckett or Perry have to play.
Perry is playing, that's been made clear. Luckett seems highly likely, but can potentially still preserve his RS if we don't have more injuries from here as I don't think we play as many DBs vs USC, UW, or Stanford.

Leach doesn't change anything for any opponent or any weather. (See Apple Cup last year :confused: ) Which is absurd given that RB Max Borghi is probably our best offensive weapon, especially in weather like is predicted for Saturday.

That leaves some of it up to the QB to change plays at the line of scrimmage, but again, with a gunslinger QB, he also doesn't give an F about the weather. Obviously the Air Raid is designed to stretch the field horizontally and vertically and get it equally to all five skill positions, so there will most likely be the same mix of down field shots and underneath hits with 9-10 run plays thrown in throughout the game.

Trust me, CU fans know Leach very well from CU playing against Texas Tech all those years in the Big 12 plus his lone season as the Oklahoma OC back in 1999. No need to repeat what we all know about Leach's system.

Trust me, CU fans know Leach very well from CU playing against Texas Tech all those years in the Big 12 plus his lone season as the Oklahoma OC back in 1999. No need to repeat what we all know about Leach's system.
I asked him a question. Several actually. He was kind enough to respond. I appreciate reasonable, well informed fans from other teams posting here.

Back