What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado vs USC Game

I thought they were synonyms.
I thought the "mural" part = a lack of official school sponsorship (as opposed to varsity sports).

So in intra or intermural sports, you can have "a team from CU," but for Intercollegiate/varsity sports, you "the CU team."

But... Does it really matter?

It was annoying me, so I finally found it: Joe Philbin was a HC at the merchant marine academy m

And they'll probably win more games than CU does this year too.

Edit: I thought about researching that statement, but then thought "we're only winning one game this year, the odds are with me."
Again, also one of my son’s responses.

I thought the "mural" part = a lack of official school sponsorship (as opposed to varsity sports).

So in intra or intermural sports, you can have "a team from CU," but for Intercollegiate/varsity sports, you "the CU team."

It was annoying me, so I finally found it: Joe Philbin was a HC at the merchant marine academy m
Intramural means you play kids from the same school. Intercollegiate is what club and varsity sports are. Club sports don’t have school sponsored scholarships. Club teams can play varsity teams in certain sports (rugby off the top of my mind).

i think we're both wrong. "extramural" appears to be the synonym of "intercollegiate".

Seems like this discussion is taking place after everybody agreed not to use the internet/intranet/muralnet to get the actual definition or origin of the terms.

I had no idea the Merchant Marines had intermural athletics.
Milwaukee Bucks What GIF by NBA

I had no idea the Merchant Marines had intermural athletics.

Just out of curiosity I looked up their overall record.

In the history of their program they have had a total of 5 coaches who were there more than one season and had a winning career record. 3 of those were prior to 1915.

Many years back I remember Irv Brown talking with former coach Marv Kay on his program. Kay told Irv that his offensive line included two players who had scored 36 (max possible score) and that the lowest of the group was a 34.

He joked about them being too smart to be good football players since they knew that they were going to make much more money upon graduation than their coaches did.
Probably more than a sliver of truth in that joke. The classic meathead coach demanding his players scramble their brains by playing hard nosed helmet cracking football probably garners very little respect in that setting.

Probably more than a sliver of truth in that joke. The classic meathead coach demanding his players scramble their brains by playing hard nosed helmet cracking football probably garners very little respect in that setting.
You are probably correct.

May also have to do with the amount of time players spend in the engineering lab vs. the weight room and the amount of time studying textbooks vs. playbooks.

You don't find a lot of guys there using college as an excuse to extend their football careers or majoring in eligibility.

Back