What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference Expansion - Big 12 is a tire fire

If UNM administration would decide to make football a priority and run a competitve program they would be a solid addition. Rapidly growing market with no local professional sports competition. Some historical ties to UU and the AZ schools, nice area to visit for road games.

If OU could be detached from Okie Light they and UNM would be a good pair to add to the league.

Still don't see why expansion is needed though unless somebody can show that it benefits the league financially and doesn't include Texas who is a league buster and lousy fit for league culture.
This doesn't scream rapidly growing market
http://www.forbes.com/places/nm/
At a Glance
  • Population: 2,085,300
  • Governor: Susana Martinez
  • Median Household Income: $45,517
  • Job Growth (2015): 1.2%
  • Cost of Doing Business: 0.2% above nat'l avg
  • College Attainment: 26.5%
  • Net Migration (2014): -11,500
  • #47 Best States for Business

Is adding 240k people in 10 years a solid growth rate relative to other areas?

It is in an area that has no significant competition for entertainment dollars.

They do very well in attendance an ratngs for UNM BB. If football was decent and in a quality conference they could do well there.

Was growing. Not the past two years.
http://www.bizjournals.com/albuquer...s-population-outflow-continues-according.html

New Mexico saw another decline in its population over the last year, according to state population estimates released Tuesday by the U.S. Census Bureau. New Mexico's overall population declined by 458 people from July 1, 2014, to July 1, 2015, or .02 percent, the Census Bureau reported. It's the second year in a row the U.S. Census Bureau has reported a shrinking population for the Land of Enchantment. Last year New Mexico shed 1,323 residents. New Mexico's net population loss is startling when compared to neighboring states, all of which land in the top 10 for growth in the Census study.

Last edited:
Some more from the airwaves this morning.

The radio hacks compared conference expansion to a guy who waited too late to get a date for prom.

csewe was described as the "beer goggles girl".

One of the radio personalities finished by saying, "you wake up and say 'eyuuu, I went home with Colorado state?????'"

Some more from the airwaves this morning.

The radio hacks compared conference expansion to a guy who waited too late to get a date for prom.

csewe was described as the "beer goggles girl".

One of the radio personalities finished by saying, "you wake up and say 'eyuuu, I went home with Colorado state?????'"

I love the irony. CSU's biggest argument was that they brought Colorado sizeable market of TV sets to the Big 12, but because the Big 12 has determined that no conference network is happening, the factors for choosing teams for expansion does not include number of TV sets.

Just read an article in which one of the Big 12 bigwigs said expansion is not eminent. So expect an expansion announcement soon.

USF's Big 12 pitch touted its academics by misspelling 'research' right up top
Cp_3t-8WcAMp3_O.jpg:large

link

Only 2 I have seen that have confirmed they are out. There were 18 with 6-8 still under consideration, so that means 8-10 more are yet to announce.

I think the scenario very much in play is BYU & AFA as football-only members to get to a conference championship game while avoiding all the additional costs for the other sports is a very appealing scenario. Networks would be pretty happy. Current members wouldn't face a threat to recruiting. Makes a lot of sense.

I thought Air Force said they had no interest in being in a P5 conference.

Did that change?

I think AFA would get murdered by the upper echelon teams in the Big12, but they should be able to hold their own against the middle/bottom. That triple option they use is ridiculous.

Back