What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

The argument about finances makes no sense to me. I would expect the revenue to be better with a Spring season with full capacity in the stadiums than it would be in the Fall with 1/3 capacity (if that) stadiums. The TV coverage for Spring college football would be incredible. Postponing the season makes more financial sense than stubbornly sticking to some kind of traditional Fall schedule.

Take a guarantee of less money in the Fall vs a chance of no money in the Spring. No one knows if it will be better

The argument about finances makes no sense to me. I would expect the revenue to be better with a Spring season with full capacity in the stadiums than it would be in the Fall with 1/3 capacity (if that) stadiums. The TV coverage for Spring college football would be incredible. Postponing the season makes more financial sense than stubbornly sticking to some kind of traditional Fall schedule.

I'd strongly assume there will be certain contractual penalties stipulated in the contracts if the conferences can't or don't want to deliver games this fall plus are ADs budgets set for calendar or school years?

Highly doubt stadiums would be full capacity in the spring.
*EVEN IF* we have an approved vaccine in January - which is highly doubtful, and
*EVEN IF* they started manufacturing this theoretical vaccine when they cleared stage 2 testing in Oct/Nov, and consequently have millions of doses ready to go.

The process and logistics of actually distributing said vaccine and administering it to enough people to have full stadiums in March is pretty much impossible.

It will take 6-12 weeks (and probably longer) just to vaccinate the "high-risk" population, let alone the general population. Maybe by May/June would there be enough people vaccinated to safely open arenas and stadiums to capacity.

And that's best case scenario.

This all sucks big giant donkey balls, but the sooner we face the reality and stop being pollyannas, the better we'll navigate this.

Yeah, there is really no perfect scenario and you are throwing a dart in the wind at this point. If I am the P5's, I wait until the last possible moment to make a decision as we just don't know what things will be like in 2-4 weeks (obviously not trending well). A spring season makes sense, but we could be worse off by then.

I think that at most schools gate receipts represent ~20% of their overall revenue (I realise that some donations are tied to the ticket sales, but let's keep it simple for now). Given the general uncertainty surrounding the economy and just about everything else, I think it'd be absolutely foolish to pass on 80% now to maybe get a 100% next fall IF that was the choice, which I don't think is the case.

I think the question is whether the schools think they can safely hold college football games this fall and I think that answer is no for a variety of reasons and also because college football will not be anywhere near the top of any school's agenda right now.

Yeah, there is really no perfect scenario and you are throwing a dart in the wind at this point. If I am the P5's, I wait until the last possible moment to make a decision as we just don't know what things will be like in 2-4 weeks (obviously not trending well). A spring season makes sense, but we could be worse off by then.

Yep, and I think that last possible moment is July 31 (which conveniently is a Friday). By that point I think they'll at the very, very least need to make a decision on the out of conference schedule and the September games.

I was out for a walk with my wife last night and this subject came up. We came to the conclusion that an abbreviated 10-game season in the Spring would be perfect. Conference games only to reduce travel. 5 home games, 5 road games.
fwiw, my wife and I also had a conversation. It concluded with there being no way in hell we'd go to a tailgate, into the stadium or a sports bar this fall. We wouldn't even meet a small group of friends for an at-home watch party. If it's the spring, we'd play it by ear and getting together at-home to watch games with a small group of friends might be on the table.

Whoa. That’s crazy. I would have never expected that from Stanford.
this. if it can happen to Stanford it can happen to any fûcking school. this is major.

I'm a little curious if there are any impacts of this to their Pac12 membership. i.e. is there a bylaw or something specifying a minimum number of varsity programs that member schools must field? if so, is Stanford getting close? (I don't think the Pac would kick them out even if this was the case)

this. if it can happen to Stanford it can happen to any fûcking school. this is major.

I'm a little curious if there are any impacts of this to their Pac12 membership. i.e. is there a bylaw or something specifying a minimum number of varsity programs that member schools must field? if so, is Stanford getting close? (I don't think the Pac would kick them out even if this was the case)

There are minimum numbers of sports. Stanford is not close to that number.

I believe that Stanford offered more varsity sports than any school in the nation. They currently offer 16 Men's and 20 Women's sports (LINK). By comparison, CU offers 15 varsity sports in total.

Wow. I wonder if this will mean and end to their dominance in the director's cup. They win it every year.

I know that head coaches are driven professionals who generally live in a bit of a bubble and have a very narrow tunnel vision. And the common philosophy of coaches (as well as other leaders) is that you can't let any outside stuff distract you from your mission or goals.

But despite all that, I expected more awareness. Maybe I give people too much credit.

I think spring football is too risky because it will impact the 2021 fall season. You can't have teenagers playing 20 to 25 football games in one calendar year. I think if they pull anything off, it will be a 6 to 8 week conference/regional season in the late fall.

I think spring football is too risky because it will impact the 2021 fall season. You can't have teenagers playing 20 to 25 football games in one calendar year. I think if they pull anything off, it will be a 6 to 8 week conference/regional season in the late fall.
ripple effects of a spring season onto the 2021 season isn't something I've considered before. good point to raise and consider.

"Health & safety of athletes" is only the primary thing when it doesn't have negative financial impact.

To be fair

These comments (as with most things that come out of Harbaugh's mouth) were goofy.....but I don't know if I can be that critical. If you're Harbaugh, Dorrell, or any other football coach, I think the only thing you can do is prepare to open your season as planned until you hear otherwise.

Back