What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU/AFA hoops series

ahoelsken

http://www.buffzone.com/mensbasketball/ci_31787033/cu-mens-basketball-may-put-csu-rivalry-hiatus

This might be better put in the scheduling thread, but with the season in the rear view mirror, and these comments going against a fair amount of what I've seen on here with respect to these games, I thought giving these comments their own thread made sense. Tad basically articulated everything I've said today in the camera about this game and the Air Force series in basketball. These games don't sell out, and neither of them bring anything to help us from an RPI standpoint (Both had RPIs lower than 230 this last year). Why bother with either of them? I don't see the ease of scheduling those two by themselves being enough to override the two concerns with them both right now. Put both series on hiatus for the time being. If you want to replace one of them with a team from this region, let's play Wyoming again or keep New Mexico on the schedule.

It would help the argument if we didn’t get beat by a very pedestrian CSU team this year.

cancelling the csu series at this time would not be a good look

Disagree completely. This isn't football. We need to play OOC's the next few years with the core we have that put us in the best position possible to make the NCAA tournament. Playing them doesn't do that. If we win, its another win that doesn't catch anyone's eye. If we lose, its a major eyesore on our resume.

RPI is the big factor here. CSU hoops is about to enter another of their extended bad periods. I know Eustachy wasn't liked, but he was a very good basketball coach with an eye for talent that others missed. Simply put, losing him is going to cost CSU a lot. Based on this, and the lack of interest in the game, it would be better for CU to play someone that could help their RPI.

Good. Play DU and UNC. CU’s RPI became way too heavily influenced by the MWC

Reactions: wip
Probably better for our RPI, with way less risk, than playing AFA and CSU.

Oh no doubt........but UNC might be a healthier program now than they were when they made the NCAAs in 2011. Linder has done a great job there, and looks like he'll be there for a while.

Oh no doubt........but UNC might be a healthier program now than they were when they made the NCAAs in 2011. Linder has done a great job there, and looks like he'll be there for a while.
Good! Doesn't change the above.

LOL at using RPI as a factor here vs. "not selling out". Having an attendance of over 8000 may not be a sellout Tad, but it beats the piss out of the attendance at the Arkansas Pine Bluff games! And in most years, the RPI is a much better deal.

Tad ought to be salivating at hammering them the next few years as they are very depleted, in front of 8000 fans. No other punching bag will draw half that!

Last edited:
Seems to me that the years when CSU comes to Boulder, that’s the highest attended non conference game.

Come to think of it, that’s sometimes the best attended game if the year, conference game or otherwise.

I have no problem keeping the series going as-is.

Seems to me that the years when CSU comes to Boulder, that’s the highest attended non conference game.

Come to think of it, that’s sometimes the best attended game if the year, conference game or otherwise.

Xavier would have drawn more when they were here than CSU last year had that game not been played on a 10 degree night in the middle of finals week for students. Oregon did outdraw them. Again, this isn't football people. If they don't help our RPI/tournament resume, we don't need to play them. If Tad misses the tournament next year, he's probably coaching for his job in 19-20.

No, it’s not football. All the more reason to keep them on the schedule. There are good reasons to drop the football series. RPI only takes a hit if you lose. Don’t lose.

LOL at using RPI as a factor here vs. "not selling out". Having an attendance of over 8000 may not be a sellout Tad, but it beats the piss out of the attendance at the Arkansas Pine Bluff games! And in most years, the RPI is a much closer deal.

Tad ought to be salivating at hammering them the next few years as they are very depleted, in front of 8000 fans. No other punching bag will draw half that!

One of those things is a factor in NCAA tournament selection.........the other isn't.

Xavier would have drawn more when they were here than CSU last year had that game not been played on a 10 degree night in the middle of finals week for students. Oregon did outdraw them. Again, this isn't football people. If they don't help our RPI/tournament resume, we don't need to play them. If Tad misses the tournament next year, he's probably coaching for his job in 19-20.
Again, if Tad scheduled all OOC for RPI, this would be a valid point. Quinnipiac anyone?

I have season tickets and CSU is about the only OOC game I've made the last few years. I've even gone to Fort Collins. I hate those guys and so do 8000 other CU fans.

Attendance at CSU vs CU games:
2012: 11,708 (Coors)
2013: 8,268 (Moby)
2014: 10,966 (Coors)
2015: 8,750 (Moby)
2016: 8,715 (Coors)
2017: 5,217 (Moby)

In no case was it either teams top selling home game for that season. Bottom line, butts in the seats count far more than words and the butts have spoken. Time to move on. When played at CSU there has been a 40.4% reduction in sales and when played at CU there has been a 25.6% reduction in sales. Pretty obvious neither fan base is actually excited about this game anymore, despite what some may say.

Attendance at CSU vs CU games:
2012: 11,708 (Coors)
2013: 8,268 (Moby)
2014: 10,966 (Coors)
2015: 8,750 (Moby)
2016: 8,715 (Coors)
2017: 5,217 (Moby)

In no case was it either teams top selling home game for that season. Bottom line, butts in the seats count far more than words and the butts have spoken. Time to move on. When played at CSU there has been a 40.4% reduction in sales and when played at CU there has been a 25.6% reduction in sales. Pretty obvious neither fan base is actually excited about this game anymore, despite what some may say.
Quinnipiac?

Quinnipiac?
Not a comparison as Quin was a tournament game that was moved to Lynchburg because of damage from a hurricane. Quin likely would have sold more seats than the CSU game had it been at its original destination. (On a side note, I wouldn't travel to Lynchburg, even if the football team was playing Nebraska and there was free hookers and blow).

However, since you seem focused on unknown teams, how about Sacramento State? It sold (8,322) almost the exact same number of seats as the CSU game. If you went to both games you knew that CU fans were more excited about Sac State than they were about the CSU game...why? Well because more than half the fans at the CSU game at Coors that year were wearing green.

No, it’s not football. All the more reason to keep them on the schedule. There are good reasons to drop the football series. RPI only takes a hit if you lose. Don’t lose.

Our RPI would have taken less of a hit had we played Wyoming and lost than beaten them. Wyoming also drew 9500 people to the CEC the last time they played there. Find me the last time CSU did that.

We need to mix it up with the local games. If we're going to have a rivalry game, I'd much rather schedule Nebraska every year.

Having the MBB program not lose money is job #1. If you want to drop CSU because you have a schedule full of Xavier's, fine. But if you are playing the lousy OOC schedule we have been playing, that argument is HOLLOW. Drop the other clowns first.

Lousy OOC? Lol we're in a tournament next year that could have us playing Rhode Island, TCU (who both made the tournament), and St Mary's (who probably should have). You would assume Tad would replace Xavier with another NCAA caliber opponent from another conference as well.

We need to mix it up with the local games. If we're going to have a rivalry game, I'd much rather schedule Nebraska every year.

Playing Wyoming for 6 years in a row would be fine. They drew 9500 people in their visit to the Keg, and they've also consistently been in the RPI top 100.

Playing Wyoming for 6 years in a row would be fine. They drew 9500 people in their visit to the Keg, and they've also consistently been in the RPI top 100.
Sure. But we can't play WYO, AFA and CSU in the same year. All these MWC locked in opponents make it hard to play UNM, UNLV, SDSU, etc. without overloading the schedule almost like we were an affiliate member of that conference.

Sure. But we can't play WYO, AFA and CSU in the same year. All these MWC locked in opponents make it hard to play UNM, UNLV, SDSU, etc. without overloading the schedule almost like we were an affiliate member of that conference.

I want both AFA and CSU off the OOC for the time being. Both had RPI's in the 200s LY (the Zoomies have been a fairly consistent presence there for the last few years), and neither does anything for us. Replace them with Wyoming and UNM for now. Wyoming is a quality program and UNM is getting there-they started to figure it out in February and March. I'd play NMSU as well if we could get them to come to Boulder fairly regularly.

And this right here is the correct way to think about it. I personally like the CSU game and have made it up to Moby more often than not over the years. However, its not a bad thing if they drop the series for a bit to play other MWC schools who frankly move the needle more nationally than CSU does. That's fine.

What is bogus is Tad using RPI and attendance numbers in the media to justify not scheduling them. He's lost to them twice, count it, ****ing TWICE in Boulder. He's .2-2 against the Rams on his home court. You'd probably have to go back to before the Sox Walseth era to find a coach with that on his resume, if its ever happened. That's a pretty arrogant claim where he has no business being so. As far as attendance goes I've been bitching for years that this game seems to always be played at less than desirable days and times.

And this right here is the correct way to think about it. I personally like the CSU game and have made it up to Moby more often than not over the years. However, its not a bad thing if they drop the series for a bit to play other MWC schools who frankly move the needle more nationally than CSU does. That's fine.

What is bogus is Tad using RPI and attendance numbers in the media to justify not scheduling them. He's lost to them twice, count it, ****ing TWICE in Boulder. He's .2-2 against the Rams on his home court. You'd probably have to go back to before the Sox Walseth era to find a coach with that on his resume, if its ever happened. That's a pretty arrogant claim where he has no business being so. As far as attendance goes I've been bitching for years that this game seems to always be played at less than desirable days and times.

I think the RPI claim is an argument to avoid them because Tad knows he needs a couple tournament appearances in a row with this core in place to stay long term here. He's still the best coach in the history of the program, but this thing has plateaued a bit with two tourney misses in a row.

Back