What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU/AFA hoops series

Lousy OOC? Lol we're in a tournament next year that could have us playing Rhode Island, TCU (who both made the tournament), and St Mary's (who probably should have). You would assume Tad would replace Xavier with another NCAA caliber opponent from another conference as well.
Home ooc games have been awful for years .

Home ooc games have been awful for years .

Oh I'm not going to disagree, and I think part of the problem is they get these games that are supposedly attractive to us in OOC on odd nights-Look at last year. Didn't the New Mexico game tip at like 6 on a Wednesday?

My concern is that we aren't playing CSU as well as Wyoming because we have lost so many games to them recently. We should be playing both of those teams every year and figuring out a way to beat them. If they are going away they should get replaced with lower tier top conference teams versus hypenated universitites that I didn't know existed.

Oh I'm not going to disagree, and I think part of the problem is they get these games that are supposedly attractive to us in OOC on odd nights-Look at last year. Didn't the New Mexico game tip at like 6 on a Wednesday?

The start time, day of week, and games scheduled during finals/breaks are all detrimental to attendance. Some of this can and should be controlled.

I'm not sure what to think about the ooc. You need a couple of easy games to be able to work on certain things and to get your bench players some court time. No more than 1 or 2, tho.

I would like to see some different "faces" on the ooc.

Dropping CSU from the football schedule makes sense. We have a limited numbered OOC games per year and we have to try to squeeze in two home OOC games in years when outer conference schedule only gives us for home games. Scheduling is a challenge in football. It’s not nearly so difficult in basketball. The RPI argument is a red herring. It’s not like we could schedule Duke, but gosh darn it, we have that pesky CSU game clogging up our schedule. After beating Xavier and Kansas at home the last couple years, the top schools aren’t exactly banging down our door for home/home series. The basketball OOC is meant to have a bunch of regional schools on it. I see no problem whatsoever in playing CSU, AF, WYO, UNM, BYU, Boise and UNLV. This year, next year, any year.

Dropping CSU from the football schedule makes sense. We have a limited numbered OOC games per year and we have to try to squeeze in two home OOC games in years when outer conference schedule only gives us for home games. Scheduling is a challenge in football. It’s not nearly so difficult in basketball. The RPI argument is a red herring. It’s not like we could schedule Duke, but gosh darn it, we have that pesky CSU game clogging up our schedule. After beating Xavier and Kansas at home the last couple years, the top schools aren’t exactly banging down our door for home/home series. The basketball OOC is meant to have a bunch of regional schools on it. I see no problem whatsoever in playing CSU, AF, WYO, UNM, BYU, Boise and UNLV. This year, next year, any year.

The way you talk..........its like we're an MWC program. We need to play people from that league who can benefit us from an RPI standpoint-NCAA tournament bids do more for attendance in CBB than anything. Drop CSU and AFA for the time for Wyoming (who again drew more than CSU in their last trip to CEC) and New Mexico or one of the other names on your list. .

The way you talk..........its like we're an MWC program. We need to play people from that league who can benefit us from an RPI standpoint-NCAA tournament bids do more for attendance in CBB than anything. Drop CSU and AFA for the time for Wyoming (who again drew more than CSU in their last trip to CEC) and New Mexico or one of the other names on your list. .
The RPI argument is valid for the Air Force game. AF doesn’t travel and they are a bad team. The same can’t be said for CSU. If all we were talking about was the Air Force series, I could go with it. CSU will out draw just about everybody on the OOC schedule. That includes UNM. It also includes Wyoming most years. The exception does not disprove the rule.

Drop Air Force? Fine. Drop CSU? Bad optics and totally unnecessary, possibly counterproductive. Just win the damn game and stop whining about it.

I’d love to keep CSU in hoops. Plenty of OOC games to go around. Different story in football. Precious few OOC games in football. No need to waste on CSU every year. Maybe every 10 years or so. Would make the game more interesting anyway.

I think the point is that Tad wants to drop the series and schedule it year to year.

I would expect most years they would be on the schedule, but if we have a good year, and CSU/AFA are terrible, we could drop them.

I think the point is that Tad wants to drop the series and schedule it year to year.

I would expect most years they would be on the schedule, but if we have a good year, and CSU/AFA are terrible, we could drop them.
That's my read. Tad has shown that he wants a strong local flavor to his schedule. From the group of AFA/CSU/UNC/DU/WYO/UNM, I think we'll see at least 3 games a season. But there can be an RPI hit to that. Especially if it's too much MWC and the conference is down that year like it was this year.

Also, while I like playing CSU and AFA I would not be disappointed at all if there was a year we saw our Buffs play UNM, WYO, DU and UNC without CSU or AFA on the schedule. It's totally fine to keep the local flavor while rotating things more.

Let's get Nebraska back on the schedule and I wouldn't mind seeing Kansas State or Oklahoma State on the schedule. Good time to rekindle those Big 8 rivalries. Their fans will travel to Boulder.

And yes I'm for playing Wyoming even if they beat us more often recently.

Getting Nebraska, KSU or OSU on the schedule does not preclude having CSU on that very same schedule. It’s not either/or.
The CSU game is one out of 12 OOC games. It would seem to me that it would be nice to have one less slot to worry about every year, and a well attended home game to boot. This talk of dropping the CSU series makes no sense to me at all.

I don't like the idea of dropping CSU from the schedule but I believe it would be only temporary. Also playing our former Big 8 rivals more often would be an awesome thing too.

I don't like the idea of dropping CSU from the schedule but I believe it would be only temporary. Also playing our former Big 8 rivals more often would be an awesome thing too.
My point being we can do both. We don’t have to drop CSU to add former Big 8 schools to the schedule. There’s plenty of room in the OOC schedule.

I never want to see Wyoming on the schedule again.

Disagree with that. Wyoming has pretty consistently been RPI top 100 the last few years. If we lose to them, it doesn't hurt. If we beat 'em, that could potentially be another quality win on a tournament resume.

I think we need to continue to play the Rams in Men's basketball, but it needs to be 4-6 years in 10. Not every year. No reason why we need to be using one of our OOC slots on Air Force every year.

I agree with @Not Sure for the first time in this thread. One of the other things Tad likes to do is start a new home and home with a big name opponent (See BYU, New Mexico, Xavier, Auburn, Georgia). One of the old Big 12 would be an easy replacement for Xavier this year. K-State would be perfect. They've got most of their team coming back (I haven't seen Dean Wade's name show up on a lot of NBA mock drafts, so I would think he'd come back) off an appearance in the Elite 8.

Disagree with that. Wyoming has pretty consistently been RPI top 100 the last few years. If we lose to them, it doesn't hurt. If we beat 'em, that could potentially be another quality win on a tournament resume.

There is nothing but facts in this statement.

But it has to be countered by the fact that I have nightmares of playing Wyoming and what they've done to us over time.

Would anyone be opposed to a preseason tournament at Pepsi Center hosted by CU, CSU, DU and UNC? All four teams are in different conferences so that wouldn't be an issue. They could invite four more teams from other conferences every year for en eight team tournament. Thoughts?

Would anyone be opposed to a preseason tournament at Pepsi Center hosted by CU, CSU, DU and UNC? All four teams are in different conferences so that wouldn't be an issue. They could invite four more teams from other conferences every year for en eight team tournament. Thoughts?
I like what Philadelphia does with its "Big 5 Championship". Villanova, Temple, St. Joseph's, La Salle and Penn play every year to determine the city championship. The games are often at the Palestra but the schools also use their home courts.

Same thing could absolutely be done in CO as a "Front Range 5" with CU, CSU, AFA, DU and UNC playing a round robin every year. I think it would be great for basketball in the state and I would bet that Tad would support this.

Would anyone really complain if CU's schedule became those 4 games, 3 games for a neutral site tourney somewhere fun to travel, 20 Pac-12 games (up from the current 18), and then 3 traditional OOC games which would likely be 1 home body bag team along with 2 marquee games (like we've had with KU, Xavier, BYU and New Mexico) in home/away series?

I think that would be a really fun schedule that would maximize attendance & season tickets.

I think we need to continue to play the Rams in Men's basketball, but it needs to be 4-6 years in 10. Not every year. No reason why we need to be using one of our OOC slots on Air Force every year.

I agree with @Not Sure for the first time in this thread. One of the other things Tad likes to do is start a new home and home with a big name opponent (See BYU, New Mexico, Xavier, Auburn, Georgia). One of the old Big 12 would be an easy replacement for Xavier this year. K-State would be perfect. They've got most of their team coming back (I haven't seen Dean Wade's name show up on a lot of NBA mock drafts, so I would think he'd come back) off an appearance in the Elite 8.
I love this site so much. I check it usually a couple times a day. So here goes my first reply:
Being born and raised in Boulder has resulted in me being a die hard buff fan.
However, I actually go to school at the University of Wyoming, so my thoughts are very conflicted on the buffs and the pokes playing again.
As a buff fan I would not want to play Wyoming at least for a couple of years. We are getting gutted, a lot of our production was from the seniors and word of campus is that Justin may transfer. Wyoming Basketball is in questionable shape right now, maybe worse than CSU. So for RPI purposes, we may want to avoid them for the time being. And recent history has not been kind to the Buffs when playing UW. My visit to UW was actually when the Buffs last played the pokes when Dom was a freshman, and Larry Nance Jr. posterized Josh Scott. My feelings after that game were so conflicted.
As a poke fan, I want to play the buffs. A lot of people up here (not me) hate the buffs just as much as CSU, which I think is ironic. So it may be fun series, perhaps a potential 2 for 1. 2 games at the keg and one here at the Dome of Doom.

I love this site so much. I check it usually a couple times a day. So here goes my first reply:
However, I actually go to school at the University of Wyoming, so my thoughts are very conflicted on the buffs and the pokes playing again.
As a buff fan I would not want to play Wyoming at least for a couple of years. We are getting gutted, a lot of our production was from the seniors and word of campus is that Justin may transfer. Wyoming Basketball is in questionable shape right now, maybe worse than CSU. So for RPI purposes, we may want to avoid them for the time being. And recent history has not been kind to the Buffs when playing UW. My visit to UW was actually when the Buffs last played the pokes when Dom was a freshman, and Larry Nance Jr. posterized Josh Scott. My feelings after that game were so conflicted.
As a poke fan, I want to play the buffs. A lot of people up here (not me) hate the buffs just as much as CSU, which I think is ironic. So it may be fun series, perhaps a potential 2 for 1. 2 games at the keg and one here at the Dome of Doom.
CU and WYO definitely have a long history. It hasn't been a good one for the Buffs. I think that's where @Goose was coming from with his "never" comment since it seems to do more harm than good for CU. I'd probably mix them in every now and then as one of the home/away marquee series on the schedule like we're currently doing with UNM, but not schedule another long-term series.

Welcome to the board!

Good post and welcome Raikers97.
Thank you very much!

However, I would very much like for Tad to schedule something with Nevada. That would be a lot of fun. Seeing them play in person this year, you could tell they were special, but I truly believe the buffs would match up very well with them. Nevertheless, this Wyoming squad did beat them. Kin would give them fits. Bey and Caleb Martin would be a fun matchup as well. Perhaps a 1 and 1 here?

That sounds good to me. I like Nik's point on UNM too for location reasons, about a 2 hour drive for me if I haul ass.

Back