What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU/AFA hoops series

CU and WYO definitely have a long history. It hasn't been a good one for the Buffs. I think that's where @Goose was coming from with his "never" comment since it seems to do more harm than good for CU. I'd probably mix them in every now and then as one of the home/away marquee series on the schedule like we're currently doing with UNM, but not schedule another long-term series.

Bingo. For the record, I love Wyoming and think they have a great program overall. I just want no part of them due to our history in that house of horrors.

Thank you very much!

However, I would very much like for Tad to schedule something with Nevada. That would be a lot of fun. Seeing them play in person this year, you could tell they were special, but I truly believe the buffs would match up very well with them. Nevertheless, this Wyoming squad did beat them. Kin would give them fits. Bey and Caleb Martin would be a fun matchup as well. Perhaps a 1 and 1 here?

https://www.rgj.com/story/sports/co...evada-basketballs-2018-19-schedule/489205002/

Might be tough to get Nevada on the schedule until next year, but we do have a slot for a marquee series with Xavier falling off the schedule.

We're already playing AFA, CSU and UNM with the possibility of playing UNLV in the Diamond Head Classic. No way that Tad will add another MWC team to that schedule.

My understanding was that we don't currently have any games scheduled with the Goats (referenced in the piece that started this thread). Sure, its more likely than not that we play 'em, but that's not in stone.

I like what Philadelphia does with its "Big 5 Championship". Villanova, Temple, St. Joseph's, La Salle and Penn play every year to determine the city championship. The games are often at the Palestra but the schools also use their home courts.

Same thing could absolutely be done in CO as a "Front Range 5" with CU, CSU, AFA, DU and UNC playing a round robin every year. I think it would be great for basketball in the state and I would bet that Tad would support this.

Would anyone really complain if CU's schedule became those 4 games, 3 games for a neutral site tourney somewhere fun to travel, 20 Pac-12 games (up from the current 18), and then 3 traditional OOC games which would likely be 1 home body bag team along with 2 marquee games (like we've had with KU, Xavier, BYU and New Mexico) in home/away series?

I think that would be a really fun schedule that would maximize attendance & season tickets.

I’m fine with this idea. But what about CSU vs AFA? They already play conference games against each other. I doubt they would want to add another game just for the series.

I’m fine with this idea. But what about CSU vs AFA? They already play conference games against each other. I doubt they would want to add another game just for the series.
Actually, the problem is that they play twice.

Would really help the OOC if the Pac-12 quit acting like the P5 red headed step child and teamed up with another conference for a hardwood "challenge"
Yeah. I was very disappointed when the one they had all but finalized with the B1G fell through.

I like what Philadelphia does with its "Big 5 Championship". Villanova, Temple, St. Joseph's, La Salle and Penn play every year to determine the city championship. The games are often at the Palestra but the schools also use their home courts.

Same thing could absolutely be done in CO as a "Front Range 5" with CU, CSU, AFA, DU and UNC playing a round robin every year. I think it would be great for basketball in the state and I would bet that Tad would support this.

Would anyone really complain if CU's schedule became those 4 games, 3 games for a neutral site tourney somewhere fun to travel, 20 Pac-12 games (up from the current 18), and then 3 traditional OOC games which would likely be 1 home body bag team along with 2 marquee games (like we've had with KU, Xavier, BYU and New Mexico) in home/away series?

I think that would be a really fun schedule that would maximize attendance & season tickets.

I don't have a problem with playing DU and UNC every year, but Air Force is garbage, and frankly so is CSU right now for that matter. Too much risk and not enough reward for those games. If you want to play teams in this region, fine..........but do it in a way that gives us more of a reward when we win. Play Wyoming. Get New Mexico State up here. Play BYU regularly. Play New Mexico (who seems to be figuring it out) regularly.

As far as the 20 game schedule..........that's a really, really bad idea right now. We were finished as a league in the NCAA tournament by the first Thursday, and we had one team in the final 64. Nationally, we're a joke of a basketball conference, and adding more games to the conference schedule only reinforces that perception. If we were as strong as the Big 12 is right now, this wouldn't be as bad an idea. Everybody needs as many chances to grab as many solid wins out of conference as possible right now, and this league is so mediocre (especially right now with Arizona's makeover) that there aren't going to be a ton of chances for impressive wins in conference play.

Isn't there a rule that you're not allowed to have two teams from one conference in the same tournament?
The "Big 5" isn't a traditional tourney. It's a round robin scheduling thing where they all play each other and then name a champ, MVP, etc. Not played in one location over a single weekend. The games are just part of their schedules throughout the season with some of the games at the Palestra and marketed as a Big 5 event. They make it work with La Salle and St. Joseph's both being in the A-10, so there's a template for a Front Range 5.

The "Big 5" isn't a traditional tourney. It's a round robin scheduling thing where they all play each other and then name a champ, MVP, etc. Not played in one location over a single weekend. The games are just part of their schedules throughout the season with some of the games at the Palestra and marketed as a Big 5 event. They make it work with La Salle and St. Joseph's both being in the A-10, so there's a template for a Front Range 5.

Perfect. So CSU and AFA could just count one of their conferences games as the "Front Range 5" game. Every team gets four games in the series and they reward a winner. I really like this idea.

Maybe two of the games are neutral at Pepsi Center over one weekend with all of the schools there and the other two games are home/away on a rotating basis. I really like the idea of all of the fan bases and schools and one site for a weekend. I think it would make for a fun experience and help build college basketball in the state.

My gut reaction is that CSU, Wyo, UNC and DU should be on CU's schedule every season, more or less. Two at home, two away each season. Some of the non-conference foes that come in year after year aren't just low in RPI they are attendance killers. CSU may not always sell out here, but they get a lot more attention from the fans than Texas Southern does.

As for football, I am in the minority here but I would like to see CSU on the schedule regularly. In years when they're not then Air Force and occasionally Wyo.

My gut reaction is that CSU, Wyo, UNC and DU should be on CU's schedule every season, more or less. Two at home, two away each season. Some of the non-conference foes that come in year after year aren't just low in RPI they are attendance killers. CSU may not always sell out here, but they get a lot more attention from the fans than Texas Southern does.

As for football, I am in the minority here but I would like to see CSU on the schedule regularly. In years when they're not then Air Force and occasionally Wyo.

I agree with some of what you say-UNC and DU would be more than happy to play us home regularly.....Playing CSU has to benefit us from an RPI standpoint. Tad needs to pull off at least one NCAA bid in the next couple of years to continue here, and I think he understands that. If CSU is hot garbage (like they are currently), take a couple years off from that series and play Wyoming instead. I still don't get why we feel the need to play Air Force every year-They suck, and more people came to the game against Northern Colorado than that one last year.

Back