What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

I don’t really care what offense the next OC runs. The most important aspect will be feel for playcalling and ability to make in-game adjustments and adapt his offense to the personnel.

This “Duo” offense looks very intriguing as a part of the overall offense and maybe even the foundation, but there will need to be other things being run

This the first thoughtful response I've seen and can get on board with. I'd modify the idea that the coach would preferably have been a G5 and/or P5 play caller already. Maybe Marion is some savant, but that hasn't been proved out beyond low division high school or the D3 college level. I get that it's exciting that a couple NFL teams have run a handful plays inspired by his offense, but that doesn't make him a great OC at higher level competition....see Bob Stitt.

Apart from your ideas, I'm laughing hard at the dim argument that a first year WR coach is responsible for the offensive production at Pitt and not the OC. I guess the only thing that would keep this years Pitt team from being the greatest offense in the history of college football is the lack of a Colorado prep QB playing for them.

I do suggest that if you are relying on the local media that you won't find out until after the fact when they say "oh yeah, we knew about that but didn't tell you". Not much information is ever broken by beat writers from the team.
Correct I’ve stated in other posts I only want someone that has called plays before. No exceptions for me on that.

local media had an interview list before KD hired and was on the Sark offer. Give Adam a little credit.

This the first thoughtful response I've seen and can get on board with. I'd modify the idea that the coach would preferably have been a G5 and/or P5 play caller already. Maybe Marion is some savant, but that hasn't been proved out beyond low division high school or the D3 college level. I get that it's exciting that a couple NFL teams have run a handful plays inspired by his offense, but that doesn't make him a great OC at higher level competition....see Bob Stitt.

Apart from your ideas, I'm laughing hard at the dim argument that a first year WR coach is responsible for the offensive production at Pitt and not the OC. I guess the only thing that would keep this years Pitt team from being the greatest offense in the history of college football is the lack of a Colorado prep QB playing for them.

I do suggest that if you are relying on the local media that you won't find out until after the fact when they say "oh yeah, we knew about that but didn't tell you". Not much information is ever broken by beat writers from the team.
yikes. try to argue in good faith at least. AT this point you are just ignoring the facts you don't like to focus on one poor argument - and you are somewhat misrepresenting that as well.

The criticism that Marion hasn't been a high level (or at least mid-level) coordinator is a fair one. That's why he's a gamble. But you've also relied on ignorance and/or bad information to levy other criticisms at him (triple option!).

Marion doesn't strike me as Chev 2.0 at all, fwiw. Still a gamble. Not sure we have the option of not gambling.

You think Oregon regrets moving Bellotti on for Chip Kelly to be the main man? Big time programs understand that you’ve gotta ride the comet while you can.
Bellotti moved from HC to AD. That's not exactly "canning" the head coach. I''ll certainly take the two years of insane offensive production that Chip had before moving up if that's the predicate to this plan.

Not sure we have the option of not gambling.
This x1,000.

The way I view it right now is that the "safe" candidates are likely to produce results that are clustered around average. Granted, that's an improvement on where we are, but "at least we're competent" is a terrible ceiling.

And, given the institutional challenges surrounding the program, I think that close to, but nevertheless below average results are the most likely result of a "safe" hire.

Personally, I'll take a higher risk of below average if it comes with a legitimate chance of spectacular.

Also William and Mary is an FCS school, not D3

This x1,000.

The way I view it right now is that the "safe" candidates are likely to produce results that are clustered around average. Granted, that's an improvement on where we are, but "at least we're competent" is a terrible ceiling.

And, given the institutional challenges surrounding the program, I think that close to, but nevertheless below average results are the most likely result of a "safe" hire.

Personally, I'll take a higher risk of below average if it comes with a legitimate chance of spectacular.
Agreed. 100%. I don't want a re-tread OC moving laterally from one moderately successful situation to our dumpster fire, if we could even get such a hire.

We need to be bold and take a well-reasoned and researched risk on the next great OC mind. Otherwise, we are destined to be having this same discussion again in another 2-3 years. This is such an important hire for this program we HAVE to find great over good.

yikes. try to argue in good faith at least. AT this point you are just ignoring the facts you don't like to focus on one poor argument - and you are somewhat misrepresenting that as well.

The criticism that Marion hasn't been a high level (or at least mid-level) coordinator is a fair one. That's why he's a gamble. But you've also relied on ignorance and/or bad information to levy other criticisms at him (triple option!).

Marion doesn't strike me as Chev 2.0 at all, fwiw. Still a gamble. Not sure we have the option of not gambling.

Fair enough. I don't feel bad as it's a strawman argument supporting Pitt WR guy. To paraphrase "CU either hires an old retread or takes a gamble this guy". There are so many more choices than Pitt WR coach vs Old Retread guy.

If Pitt WR guy is in a pool of young, hot shot coaches being considered and he rises to the top then I'll buy in. He isn't the only guy out there.

This argument mirrors where I'm at in a lot of ways.

1. I want an innovator who is considered a rising star among peers.

2. I'm willing to be the P5 program that takes the risk of giving the opportunity.

3. I'd prefer someone like Sowder with more substantiation of his OC abilities than Marion has, but I much prefer a guy like Marion to hiring someone "comfortable" due to his experience (Watson, Langsdorf, Helfrich, et al).

Wow. Pretty crazy that CU could conduct a comprehensive and exhaustive search for our new OC, only to realize he was right under our nose the whole time! /s
embarrassing parks and recreation GIF

Last edited:
There’s a reason Langsdorf hasn’t been pursued by anyone for OC in multiple years, so naturally Karl Dorrell sees that as a great opportunity to promote him
I’m going to keep saying this as if it has any implication on the hire but if KD goes with Langsdorf, I’m done. We will not sniff a bowl game until the entire staff is replaced in 2024. This is the most important hire of the KD tenure and if he blows it there is no coming back

I’m going to keep saying this as if it has any implication on the hire but if KD goes with Langsdorf, I’m done. We will not sniff a bowl game until the entire staff is replaced in 2024. This is the most important hire of the KD tenure and if he blows it there is no coming back
the funny thing is langsdorf would be the most accomplished OC we've hired since... Barnett?

the funny thing is langsdorf would be the most accomplished OC we've hired since... Barnett?
Probably since Helfrich, but he was pretty mediocre at CU.

Obviously, the past year has soured everyone who was associated with this craptastic offense, so I get it.

Last edited:
Probably since Helfrich, but he was pretty mediocre at CU.

Obviously, the past year has soured everyone who was associated with this craptastic offense, so I get it.
Helfrich wasn't that accomplished when we hired him.

The funnier thing is that Langsdorf's resume is a$$. Outside of 2 stints with his buddy Mike Riley, he hasn't been seen as a someone worthy of keeping on more than a year two by any other program/franchise.

Yeah. He did a nice job with Mannion. iirc, Riley & staff had also loaded that team with weapons at the skill positions. He was bad with the Nubs & in his NFL foray.
He actually wasn’t that bad with the Giants as I recall. Eli had a decent season while he was there. Cannot really speak to his Nebraska time, didn’t pay much attention.

looks like they hired him as Passing Game Coordinator and QB coach

couldn't quite get that OC job at UNLV
And there we go.

Guy who wasn't even seen to be on the level of a fvcking UNLV OC just coached our QB to one of the worst fvcking seasons in CFB or in CU football history and we've got fvcking fans who fvcking think he's fvcking qualified to be fvcking promoted to be our fvcking OC.

Have some fvcking pride and some fvcking standards.

And there we go.

Guy who wasn't even seen to be on the level of a fvcking UNLV OC just coached our QB to one of the worst fvcking seasons in CFB or in CU football history and we've got fvcking fans who fvcking think he's fvcking qualified to be fvcking promoted to be our fvcking OC.

I loved you in Planes, Trains and Automobiles!

And there we go.

Im being told on 247 that because Gary Barnett said he likes DL, then we should all accept it

Back