What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

It sounds like the things that we are hanging our hats on with Sanford is that he has worked for some excellent coaches, worked at successful programs, has experience in our region, and has the pedigree of his dad being a long-time coach.

That's all great. But it would be nice if there was something there about him ever improving offensive performance at his stops.

The OL coach is more important than the OC for the buffs. We need some one that can do major surgery. Also need atleast 3 new additions to the line in addition to the 2 incoming freshmen.
The buffs need a LT, RT, and a LG.

It sounds like the things that we are hanging our hats on with Sanford is that he has worked for some excellent coaches, worked at successful programs, has experience in our region, and has the pedigree of his dad being a long-time coach.

That's all great. But it would be nice if there was something there about him ever improving offensive performance at his stops.
In the name of consistency, since we have acknowledged that he’s going to improve this offense since it can’t get any worse, I’ll point out that almost every team/offense he went to was already really good when he got there, so odds were against just about any OC to improve upon them. He was able to maintain Boise’s and NDs for the most part, but maintaining WKU’s top 3-5 offense was always going to be hard once Brohm left.

He then went on to be OC under a coach who played on the offensive side but coached defense most of his career and then a true offensive HC and obviously didn’t fare well, but according to our drive by insider, Fleck had his hands all over the offense the last two years.

I think that’s about as optimistic of a take as can be had

You have taken self loathing to a new depth. How many CU sports do you actively follow besides football and maybe men’s basketball?
I believe the point of the Minnesota posters and the poster here is that CU doesn't have men's sports that major public unversity's have. We CU fans/followers are just used to it. See how crazy it looks to the outside real world?

It takes some gall to write an article with a straight face telling fans to give the guy a chance when the article itself includes this gem:

Petition for him to be known as Baghdad Brian with immediate effect

bagdad-bob.jpg

Living On Nothing...Give Me One National Title

And I am from Edina. We were also called Cake Eaters, though no one that ever called me that actually had any of the cake they spoke of...
I live in Edina now but grew up near Washburn high school, who were the original cake eaters way back when. You can’t handle all my cake.

So sink quoted the Howell article earlier in this thread. Here's the quote:
Each of the past six offenses Sanford has coached has had a decline in scoring average from the previous season. Kizer regressed in his second season as Notre Dame’s starter. Quarterbacks Mike White (Western Kentucky), Jordan Love (Utah State) and Tanner Morgan (Minnesota) all put up monster seasons the year before they worked with Sanford and had dramatically worse results with him.

I've got $100 that says KD, LC and RG first learned about those negatives when they read this article.

And good recruiter.

As soon as I see a Coordinator at CU recruit or a QB Coach recruit more than QBs, I'll acknowledge that Sanford is relevant to recruiting. Until then, I'm going to assume it will be like with Chev and one of our best recruiters won't have that as a significant job function as an OC.
Once again, Dorrell never mentioned recruiting as one of his reasons for hiring him. The man is allergic to even discussing recruiting

As soon as I see a Coordinator at CU recruit or a QB Coach recruit more than QBs, I'll acknowledge that Sanford is relevant to recruiting. Until then, I'm going to assume it will be like with Chev and one of our best recruiters won't have that as a significant job function as an OC.
May be right but that has to be part of reason he got the gig.

Back