What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

The easiest way to tell is the complete lack of a coherent recruiting footprint.
You can tell he views recruiting as an obligation, rather than the foundation for being successful at his craft. It’s likely why he spent most of his career in the NFL. He wants to coach, not sell 17 years olds and their parents on why they should want to be coached by him.

I refuse to give Howell a click due to the water he continues to carry for this program, so thank you for pointing this out. Awful journalism
He's always been hot garbage going back to when he was trying to be cool as a Longmont area HS jock sniffer. The guy is a clown.

I said that Dorrell feels like it’s an obligation instead of the foundation for success, meaning he knows it’s part of the job, but he doesn’t embrace it and the required effort and emphasis on it needed to succeed
I’m struggling to imagine Dorrell dancing to Garth Brooks on a turntable with a blue chip QB recruit.

I said that Dorrell feels like it’s an obligation instead of the foundation for success, meaning he knows it’s part of the job, but he doesn’t embrace it and the required effort and emphasis on it needed to succeed
Yep. Observe what they emphasize and what they do, rather than accepting what they say.

Just as "football factory" coaches will talk about academics, character and graduation rates, coaches at loser programs that care most about their APR score and being scandal-free will talk about recruiting.

I have thought about this for a bit.

Looking at the big picture, first, it is pretty likely that HCKD is here for 2022, and probable he is here for 2023. That is a function of the bad hire, and ridiculous contract.

2nd, the sacrificing of the assistant coaches is usually the first visible sign of the recognition of failure. Why it took 20 months to recognize the OL and OC were not cutting it is beyond me. The fact that keeping the OC was a function of employment simply underscores the dysfunction which led to the hiring in the first place.

3rd, the reshuffling of the assistant coaches gambit rarely works. I'm sure somebody can dig out an example where it did, but usually it reeks of desperation. That desperation does not lend itself to reeling in top shelf candidates. This is even more true at CU where some candidates simply have no interest. They have no interest because of CU's reputation.

Turning to the Sanford hire. It seems to me that he may have been the best candidate available. I get that his offenses tend to degrade statistically. But, the offenses he has coordinated have won more games than they lost. I would settle for that right now. I do not have a great deal of confidence that there will be a huge material change, because CU simply has not recruited the quantity and quality of offensive line to compete.

There really is nothing else to do other than hope that Sanford can right the offensive ship.

It would be interesting to know who the other 3 candidates are. It seems fairly obvious that Marion was one. Everyone points to Pittsburgh's production this year, but Whipple left, and Marion has not been promoted. If he was the mover and shaker behind that offense, it would seem a no-brainer to elevate him. But that hasn't happened. I think there is a reason. I also think there is a reason he has not been snatched up as an offensive coordinator by anybody else.

Last edited:
I mean, sure.

Most Offensive Efficiency rankings have Minny in the 75th percentile in the nation. Can’t be a bad thing
It is when you have one of the best OLs in the country and a starting QB with boat loads of experience. Being in the top 25% for them last year is an underachievement.

I have thought about this for a bit.

Looking at the big picture, first, it is pretty likely that HCKD is here for 2022, and probable he is here for 2023. That is a function of the bad hire, and ridiculous contract.

2nd, the sacrificing of the assistant coaches is usually the first visible sign of the recognition of failure. Why it took 20 months to recognize the OL and OC were not cutting it is beyond me. The fact that keeping the OC was a function of employment simply underscores the dysfunction which led to the hiring in the first place.

3rd, the reshuffling of the assistant coaches gambit rarely works. I'm sure somebody can dig out an example where it did, but usually it reeks of desperation. That desperation does not lend itself to reeling in top shelf candidates. This is even more true at CU where some candidates simply have no interest. They have no interest because of CU's reputation.

Turning to the Sanford hire. It seems to me that he may have been the best candidate available. I get that his offenses tend to degrade statistically. But, the offenses he has coordinated have one more games than they lost. I would settle for that right now. I do not have a great deal of confidence that there will be a huge material change, because CU simply has not recruited the quantity and quality of offense of line to compete.

There really is nothing else to do other than hope that Sanford can right the offensive of ship.

It would be interesting to know who the other 3 candidates are. It seems fairly obvious that Marion was one. Everyone points to Pittsburgh's production this year, but Whipple left, and Marion has not been promoted. If he was the mover and shaker behind that offense, it would seem a no-brainer to elevate them. But that hasn't happened. I think there is a reason. I also think there is a reason he has not been snatched up as an offense a coordinator by anybody else.
To be fair, it seems like KD wanted to move on from Chev after the first year but was not able to because of financial reasons (covid as well). The Oline coach is fully on him though.

To be fair, it seems like KD wanted to move on from Chev after the first year but was not able to because of financial reasons (covid as well). The Oline coach is fully on him though.
I guess I missed the Chev angle last year, or maybe I just don't remember.

I hope Sanford reinvigorates the offense. I understand the concerns of those who believe that won't happen. The ship has left port, there is no turning back now. Hopefully, a solid OL coach, and some portal OL talent are in view. Without those two things, it will be a long season.

I hope Sanford reinvigorates the offense. I understand the concerns of those who believe that won't happen. The ship has left port, there is no turning back now. Hopefully, a solid OL coach, and some portal OL talent are in view. Without those two things, it will be a long season.
I don't think the Chev info is well known. I get the sense that Chev and KD didn't really get along, which is what happens when you force hires on someone.

I don't think the Chev info is well known. I get the sense that Chev and KD didn't really get along, which is what happens when you force hires on someone.
Chev believes in the offense he learned from Kingsbury at Texas Tech.

MacIntyre allowed him to install a lot of it, but they butted heads on commitment to running the ball. Hence all the repetitive dive plays (which was pouting with, "you wanted to run , so we ran").

Then part of KD's deal was that Chev would be his OC. KD accepted that but wanted no piece of Air Raid and what Chev wanted to do on offense. After 2020, there was no way to terminate anyone with multiple years left on a deal in the midst of wage reductions & taking a big loan from the Pac-12. So we got a year of Chev & KD continuing a broken and dysfunctional work relationship of two guys with completely different offensive philosophies.

Things should get better with Sanford - even if he's no better than Chev as an OC - since he & KD are aligned philosophically. Having a plan with buy-in and everyone rowing in the same direction means a ton in an organization.

I tend to look at it as being a short season. With a decent probability of an 0-4 start all hope is lost and people check out and/or spend the rest of the season calling for the coach’s head. I think KD is gone after next year.

I tend to look at it as being a short season. With a decent probability of an 0-4 start all hope is lost and people check out and/or spend the rest of the season calling for the coach’s head. I think KD is gone after next year.
If there is an 0-4 start, it could turn ugly quick.

Things to like about the new OC Sanford.

- It is usually easier recruiting good run blockers. Less emphasis on gifted big athelets and more on mean rugged maulers.
- Longer more methodical time eating drives should give our defense more rest.
- At high altitude opposing defense will be more warn down in the second half. We should see more big runs taken to the house.
- 4th down and goal line conversion percentages should go up.
- More north and south running.
- Might actually have multiple tight-ends in formation.
- Good running offenses are usually more effective on bad weather days.
- Lastly, I just like good smash-mouth football.

MacIntyre allowed him to install a lot of it, but they butted heads on commitment to running the ball. Hence all the repetitive dive plays (which was pouting with, "you wanted to run , so we ran").

Then part of KD's deal was that Chev would be his OC. KD accepted that but wanted no piece of Air Raid and what Chev wanted to do on offense. After 2020, there was no way to terminate anyone with multiple years left on a deal in the midst of wage reductions & taking a big loan from the Pac-12. So we got a year of Chev & KD continuing a broken and dysfunctional work relationship of two guys with completely different offensive philosophies.

Things should get better with Sanford - even if he's no better than Chev as an OC - since he & KD are aligned philosophically. Having a plan with buy-in and everyone rowing in the same direction means a ton in an organization.
I know someone who doesn’t think Sanford is good at boat rowing.

Sanford and Dorrell are most certainly aligned on how they think offensively. Chev and Dorrell were like water and oil in that respect and was destined to fail.

Back