What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

He just inexplicably let him call plays for the entire season.
Its a good strategy to get someone fired or see if theyre legit. When the boss calls midseason and asks Dorell WTF!!!! Im sure Dorrell reminded the boss who picked the problematic OC for him. Chiv got exposed.

What I wonder is if Dorrell offered to fire him mid season and George said no. We’ll never know. But im sure they discussed these things weekly.

Its a good strategy to get someone fired or see if theyre legit. When the boss calls midseason and asks Dorell WTF!!!! Im sure Dorrell reminded the boss who picked the problematic OC for him. Chiv got exposed.

What I wonder is if Dorrell offered to fire him mid season and George said no. We’ll never know. But im sure they discussed these things weekly.

None of that explains why Chev was allowed to call plays for all 12 games.

Maybe Chiv had it in writing and we didnt want to pay the piper. Maybe RG was just tired. Maybe KD wanted RGs inbox to be a fun read for imposing Chiv on him. Maybe DiStephano lost the bet or just decided it should be so.

CU is, if anything, demonstrably pretty dumb.

Maybe Chiv had it in writing and we didnt want to pay the piper. Maybe RG was just tired. Maybe KD wanted RGs inbox to be a fun read for imposing Chiv on him. Maybe DiStephano lost the bet or just decided it should be so.

CU is, if anything, demonstrably pretty dumb.

Or maybe KD didn't have a good answer to a glaring weakness. The need to cover for KD on everything is annoying as hell.

Yeah, it’s been stated that Dorrell’s hands have been tied with Chev continuing to be employed as OC for the past two years, but there’s no chance DiStefano or RG told him he had to keep him as playcaller.

The locker room was toxic, though. I could see the thought at the time being that stripping Chev of playcalling could have done even further damage and maybe he wanted to avoid that. Just a theory though

It would have been a very normal move to strip play calling during the season and give it to Langsdorf.

The only thing I can figure is that KD didn't want to give Chev a path to keep his job or to be pushed into making them Co-OC this year to save the dead money from firing.

KD was either a bumbling idiot or he was playing the long game with full understanding of how CU works under Phil.

To be fair, Dorrell didn't hire Chev
Yes he did. Chev had been relegated to carrying a clipboard under Tucker. Tucker left CU a big bag of money as well.

Any suggestion that KD did not default to Chev and pick him on his own volition is nonsensical. He interviewed Chev and he fell for it.

Yes he did. Chev had been relegated to carrying a clipboard under Tucker. Tucker left CU a big bag of money as well.

Any suggestion that KD did not default to Chev and pick him on his own volition is nonsensical. He interviewed Chev and he fell for it.
You believe that KD had complete authority to hire his staff and to choose not to retain guys who were on multi-year deals?

You have this weird infatuation that you want an official statement from the AD that this happened. You probably need to get in touch with reality.

Chev was forced upon Dorrell just as he was on MM and Tucker.

I'm not going to absolve Dorrell for how he handled Chev throughout the year, but I do think his hands were somewhat tied with Chev.

What happened over the course of 2 seasons that Dorrell suddenly had a seemingly solid network of assistants to interview and pull from? Agents putting out feelers and setting up meetings/making recommendations? KD networking with other coaches for recs?

For someone who has admitted to not having a 247 subscription, where pretty much all of the CU “insider” info comes from, you sure seem to think you know things.

I think his eventual choice at OC backs up the assertion that he really didn’t have anybody in mind for the job in the first place.

At this point, I recognize that he was hamstrung by a lot of factors he couldn’t control in 2020, and am willing to see what he is capable of as a HC with his hand picked staff. I also recognize he made some poor hires initially, mainly Rod but also promoting Cook in year two, that were his own doing and should be criticized. He still hasn’t demonstrated the willingness to truly go head to head for top talent, until now with some of these coaches (maybe that’s more of an individual assistant thing), so we’ll see if his mentality has changed there over the coming months.

Last edited:
Or maybe KD didn't have a good answer to a glaring weakness. The need to cover for KD on everything is annoying as hell.
You can try to see It as black and white as usual. I dont fault you for it as its in your nature. And often not wrong in terms of how things should be. But the AD is a politicsl organization inside a larger political entity controlled by a politician few like that answers to a board of politicians thats mostly been in disarray. My suspicion is strings were attached.

Im not covering for Dorrell. I dont think that highly of him that his ceiling is very much higher at all.

You can try to see It as black and white as usual. I dont fault you for it as its in your nature. And often not wrong in terms of how things should be. But the AD is a politicsl organization inside a larger political entity controlled by a politician few like that answers to a board of politicians thats mostly been in disarray. My suspicion is strings were attached.

Im not covering for Dorrell. I dont think that highly of him that his ceiling is very much higher at all.

Acknowledging KD was saddled with Chev as OC, but made a mistake in allowing him to call plays for the entire 2021 season is not a black and white view.

Says a lot that prior to getting the Buffs job a guy with Dorrell's experience as a college head coach and his years in the NFL was not in an NFL position that was close to calling plays, designing or developing game plans, or anything else that put him close to the kinds of responsibilities that an OC usually has.

You believe that KD had complete authority to hire his staff and to choose not to retain guys who were on multi-year deals?
Retaining Chev is one thing. Making him your offensive coordinator is another. I do not think that KD had a clue who else he could get to come aboard. He was not prepared in any way to be a head coach again at the college level.

And you could be right, or you could be wrong. But it's certainly not a fact.

You have this weird infatuation that you want an official statement from the AD that this happened. You probably need to get in touch with reality.

Chev was forced upon Dorrell just as he was on MM and Tucker.

I'm not going to absolve Dorrell for how he handled Chev throughout the year, but I do think his hands were somewhat tied with Chev.
You have a weird infatuation that something that might be true, is in fact true, with no real evidence.

"it seems plausible thus it's true"!

Retaining Chev is one thing. Making him your offensive coordinator is another. I do not think that KD had a clue who else he could get to come aboard. He was not prepared in any way to be a head coach again at the college level.

And you could be right, or you could be wrong. But it's certainly not a fact.
Yep. I'm pretty sure but don't know 100% on the Chev as OC aspect at the time KDwas hired.

We do know that something was worked out with Chev when MT left for Chev to stay despite not him not going to be named HC.

There's a chance that wasn't a long-term deal as OC regardless of who got hired as HC.

But doesn't it seem to you that it fits that Sark, EB and other HC options turned us down because they were told that the coordinators they'd have were already under contract and only a guy like KD (who wasn't even having his agent apply & hadn't built a staffing plan) would accept the job under those terms?

You have a weird infatuation that something that might be true, is in fact true, with no real evidence.

"it seems plausible thus it's true"!

The Office Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

Yep. I'm pretty sure but don't know 100% on the Chev as OC aspect at the time KDwas hired.

We do know that something was worked out with Chev when MT left for Chev to stay despite not him not going to be named HC.

There's a chance that wasn't a long-term deal as OC regardless of who got hired as HC.

But doesn't it seem to you that it fits that Sark, EB and other HC options turned us down because they were told that the coordinators they'd have were already under contract and only a guy like KD (who wasn't even having his agent apply & hadn't built a staffing plan) would accept the job under those terms?
This is what I was angling at. KD came in hands tied to Chiv because of RG and or DiStefano. And RG paid a huge credibility price for that. If he’d demoted Chiv and lost 4 or 5 more games then he too would have his neck on the chopping block. So he let Chiv flap in the wind. But now the problem is solved I suppose.

For me the AD is a political body inside a larger deeply politicized campus run by an apparently bad politician that answers to another politician [vacant] who answers to what is normally not a united board of elected politicians. So none it would surprise me.

No, that doesn't make sense to me.

Just taking Sark for example, the amount of money that RG was committing made any savings for promoting Chev back to OC seem pretty small to me. Plus, Sark didn't need to hire a $1M OC to take notes for him. He's the OC. But I do know first hand, that RG was telling big donors that money was not the problem and we were going to aim high.

By hiring KD (in what can only be described as a Lance Carl supported panic move), they hired a head coach who had ZERO current college coaching contacts. There was value in trying to keep the basic systems in place that Mel had underway, given that Spring ball was mere weeks away. And KD simply didn't have anyone lined up.

Yes, I can imagine that Rick/Lance were promoting Chev heavily, but it makes no sense to me that they were mandating that a condition for hiring someone like Sark (or really any other solid Head Coaching candidates who possessed a post 2005 rolodex).

Back