What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

Andy Ludwig (Utah) has stated that he doesn't have a style, that he molds it to fit the personnel. Watching Utah this year, I was envious. Minnesota wasn't far off except their QB struggled (as did the original Utah starter). A lot of 2 and 3 TE sets where the TE's look a lot like big receivers. I also note they just picked up a transfer from Idaho vandals who's a human bowling ball at 6'3" 270. He's going to line up and move around a lot.

With that said, what does the modern day WCO look like? I honestly don't know.
Like ****?

My favorite part of this is Dorrell’s entire selling point he has decided to focus on is Sanford’s track record with “developing the quarterback”.

A man who has demonstrably shown significant regression at the QB position across all of his stops is being sold to us as a great developer of QBs.

Do Rick and Karl seriously think we’re that stupid? Tell us “we’re focused on a hard nosed and creative run game” or something based in the reality of his history as a coach. Great developer of quarterbacks being the main point they want to hammer is hilarious

While he emphasized WCO in the quote, his point was clearly that Chev didn’t know **** other than Air Raid and maybe some spread concepts, and Sanford has a much more extensive background. So, yeah, that doesn’t sound great for people who hate WCO, but I think the point was mostly to point out that he’s better than Chev.
“Better than Chev” is a very low bar.

My favorite part of this is Dorrell’s entire selling point he has decided to focus on is Sanford’s track record with “developing the quarterback”.

A man who has demonstrably shown significant regression at the QB position across all of his stops is being sold to us as a great developer of QBs.

Do Rick and Karl seriously think we’re that stupid? Tell us “we’re focused on a hard nosed and creative run game” or something based in the reality of his history as a coach. Great developer of quarterbacks being the main point they want to hammer is hilarious
New guy gets it.

So they are going to pound the square WCO peg into the round CFB hole.

I expect very little.

HCKD truly believe that will work. Absolutely mind boggling.
I wish I could like this twice. Once for the sentiment, and a second time because of correct use of the term "mind boggling."

Rick George: Hmm let's get a NFL position coach who's insisting on running an antiquated NFL offense, and then saddle him with a proven incompetent OC who's only experience is in a completely different offense. Should work well. Oh, and we'll have that OC stop doing the ONLY thing he actually does well too.

Dorrell has said that he wants to run half pro style and half RPO. So, basically, multiple, or whatever that means. That's really not whole lot different than a lot of college football (multiple). We'll see what that translates to, but I'd be interested to see what they called the 2021 offense and how much different that is going to be in 2022.

Dorrell has said that he wants to run half pro style and half RPO. So, basically, multiple, or whatever that means. That's really not whole lot different than a lot of college football (multiple). We'll see what that translates to, but I'd be interested to see what they called the 2021 offense and how much different that is going to be in 2022.
Half dog turd O that rarely works in CFB and half O that does work. What could go wrong?

“He’s had good success, really good success as of having productive offenses. Every place he’s been he’s had a quarterback or two that had opportunities to play in the NFL that have done some really positive things in their careers. What I was looking for was a developer and then a guy that can mold a roster into having some success. Those are the things that stood out to me.”

Dude.

While he emphasized WCO in the quote, his point was clearly that Chev didn’t know **** other than Air Raid and maybe some spread concepts, and Sanford has a much more extensive background. So, yeah, that doesn’t sound great for people who hate WCO, but I think the point was mostly to point out that he’s better than Chev.
So, the lowest bar in the sport. Got it.

Andy Ludwig (Utah) has stated that he doesn't have a style, that he molds it to fit the personnel. Watching Utah this year, I was envious. Minnesota wasn't far off except their QB struggled (as did the original Utah starter). A lot of 2 and 3 TE sets where the TE's look a lot like big receivers. I also note they just picked up a transfer from Idaho vandals who's a human bowling ball at 6'3" 270. He's going to line up and move around a lot.

With that said, what does the modern day WCO look like? I honestly don't know.
It looks ****ty

giphy-downsized-large.gif

To be precise for folks, this was the quote - totally un****ingbelievable.

“Most of my career has been from certain families of offense, and (Sanford) has certain families of offense, too, that he’s had success with,” Dorrell said. “In my career, 37 years of coaching … I’ve learned a lot of football in that span of time and what I liked about what (Sanford) was able to do, he’s been in a West Coast system. He’s been in some other systems with Chris Petersen, some other places that have been very successful. I kind of like more variety in that background, whereas I don’t think Darrin had as much variety in terms of his growth and where he was. It did matter to have a little bit more substance in your background of a number of different things that he’s done.”
The follow up question should have been “But you’ve failed at every stop over that span. Why go back to the well instead of trying a different approach?”

KD offense won't work if we can't run the ball. The OL cant block, so CU can't run the ball. All this talk of half RPO or half west coast is all poimtless if you don't have the OL. I am extremely dissapointed by the activity in the portal. Still haven't signed any OL. This is the current OL depth heading to spring ball.

OT- Wiley, Filip, the tank, Gray
G- Roddick,Lytle, Ray, Jynes, Amaya, Anderson
C- Fenske, Johnson

Need two tackles, a center and a LG to have the numbers for spring ball.

KD offense won't work if we can't run the ball. The OL cant block, so CU can't run the ball. All this talk of half RPO or half west coast is all poimtless if you don't have the OL. I am extremely dissapointed by the activity in the portal. Still haven't signed any OL. This is the current OL depth heading to spring ball.

C- Fenske, Johnson

Martial Arts Reaction GIF by Arrow Video

C- Fenske, Johnson

With classes starting Monday, there are no other known additions coming for the spring. I believe Travis Gray will be on campus though as an early enrollee.

Most alarming is we have zero pipeline:

2022: We've taken 2 tackles so far
2021: We took 2 interior guys.
2020: We took 3, but 2 are gone.
2019: We took 5, but 3 have left. We did add Fenske from this class as a transfer, so net 3 added.

That's literally a giant flashing warning sign that we are going to suck for a long time. You need class balance and development like no other position here. We need 4 transfers at minimum plus two signees for 2022 class over what we have.

Where's the urgency KD?

HCKD mentioned possibly hiring a Portal Manger. How about Brian Michalowski? He is a good recruiter and it is a way to keep him here at CU.

With classes starting Monday, there are no other known additions coming for the spring. I believe Travis Gray will be on campus though as an early enrollee.

Most alarming is we have zero pipeline:

2022: We've taken 2 tackles so far
2021: We took 2 interior guys.
2020: We took 3, but 2 are gone.
2019: We took 5, but 3 have left. We did add Fenske from this class as a transfer, so net 3 added.

That's literally a giant flashing warning sign that we are going to suck for a long time. You need class balance and development like no other position here. We need 4 transfers at minimum plus two signees for 2022 class over what we have.

Where's the urgency KD?
It’s almost as if everyone, and I mean every single person who is either a part of or a supporter of this program, knows this is a sinking ship and no one can do anything about it.

It’s almost as if everyone, and I mean every single person who is either a part of or a supporter of this program, knows this is a sinking ship and no one can do anything about it.
There are a lot of people in denial, and another group of people who will always cling to hope and ignore negative news.

The biggest problem at CU is that those people are in charge.

HCKD mentioned possibly hiring a Portal Manger. How about Brian Michalowski? He is a good recruiter and it is a way to keep him here at CU.
No sense of urgency. Does he not understand that potentially very good players in the portal are signing with their new teams every day?

"Let's hire a Portal Manager. We can form a committee to write up a job description and when that's approved we can identify 3 or 4 candidates, and then we can create an interview schedule and after we conduct the interviews we can narrow the list down to 2 candidates and after having conducted second interviews with those 2 guys we can have a meeting to discuss the pros and cons of our projected choice and then a few weeks after that we can make an offer to our top choice.
We anticipate that the process should take no more than eight weeks and that the Portal Manager should be able to start work at the beginning of Week 9, just as soon as he or she has completed our 3-day Sensitivity and Ethics Workshop."

Back