What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Coaching & Support Staff Moves

This is what we should have been doing for years
Fwiw, the big falling out between Hawkins and Helfrich was that Helfrich wanted to implement a fast-paced offense like the Kelly and Briles systems. Hawkins was against it (no comment on whether it was because that system fit Hansen better than our other QB). After a frustrating season, Helfrich joined Kelly's Oregon staff when it was offered in the spring.

Have to believe that this is, in part, a result of our HC having been an elite athlete. He truly understands the advantage and pressure you generate when you get your opponent sucking for air.
The other thing that happens is that someone like Coach Sanders would think about what type of offense he'd be challenged to play against.

Fwiw, the big falling out between Hawkins and Helfrich was that Helfrich wanted to implement a fast-paced offense like the Kelly and Briles systems. Hawkins was against it (no comment on whether it was because that system fit Hansen better than our other QB). After a frustrating season, Helfrich joined Kelly's Oregon staff when it was offered in the spring.
So many great decisions over the years.

Sean Lewis as OC. Not sure on position. Probably WR if Bartolone is QB as expected.

Article below says he's bringing Bill O'Boyle.

O'Boyle was a RMAC HC at Chadron State and had a bunch of success. Then went to Colorado Mesa then S Illinois and South Dakota. He's been Lewis's OL Coach at Kent State.

Based on what I got, Bartolone will be an offensive analyst

Like the similar case when Bieniemy was going to go to the Okie Lite system Gundy runs, spent the offseason installing it, and then ditched it in the first half of the opener when it didn't click and he & Embree were having a little tiff over "creative differences"?
I mean, I’d you go 3&out in 7 seconds over and over, your defense is going to die.

• Haha
Reactions: wip
Like the similar case when Bieniemy was going to go to the Okie Lite system Gundy runs, spent the offseason installing it, and then ditched it in the first half of the opener when it didn't click and he & Embree were having a little tiff over "creative differences"?
I'm not sure why I thought this was Chiv's first season as OC but it was the first thing that came to mind when I heard fast paced.

I'm hoping for a Poly connection is really my only small critique at this point. So much of the toughness and family environment of great CU teams was from having Pacific Islander talent on the roster.
Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see Prime putting an emphasis on Poly at all. Pretty much every offer right now is from the South, TX, and Midwest with a few CA guys. Maybe that’s a function of a short amount of time and leveraging what he knows, but I just don’t see him deciding to go that route just because it was how CU was successful 20-30 years ago

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see Prime putting an emphasis on Poly at all. Pretty much every offer right now is from the South, TX, and Midwest with a few CA guys. Maybe that’s a function of a short amount of time and leveraging what he knows, but I just don’t see him deciding to go that route just because it was how CU was successful 20-30 years ago
Don't kill my dream of Troy Polamalu filling that open position for a Safety coach.

Hagan the only one of that group still here. Ideally he stays as an analyst or in a fundraising role.

Doesn't need to be in any kind of on field coach role.

Sounds like Lewis will bring his OL coach with him. Bill O'Boyle has experience in Colorado and a killer stache.

https://kentstatesports.com/staff-directory/bill-o-boyle/315

resize

Last edited:
He's coming with Lewis, but is it really as OL coach? His resume is pretty light for probably the most important position coach, but maybe Lewis having a guy who understands his offense is more important.
For an offense that plays as fast as they do, I'm sure it certainly helps to have lewis and the OL coach on the same page. We are MOVING those big dudes haha

Back