What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Coaching & Support Staff Moves

He's coming with Lewis, but is it really as OL coach? His resume is pretty light for probably the most important position coach, but maybe Lewis having a guy who understands his offense is more important.

I would be shocked if it was in another role. All this dude has done in the last 35 years is coach O-lines, outside of a 7-year run as a HC in DII with a 57-21 record.

if it truthfully went down the way Howell describes, I think most people here would call it "unprofessional" (i.e. beyond "not touchy feely") if any other team had done it

I'm ok acknowledging HCDS is a fallible human being and will learn his job better and better.

I think the issue is that every other team DOES do it. All the time. But Prime is the only one getting called out for it.

I would be shocked if it was in another role. All this dude has done in the last 35 years is coach O-lines, outside of a 7-year run as a HC in DII with a 57-21 record.

Hey, it's all gravy at this point. It's Prime's program and his son's future is largely in the hands of Lewis and O'Boyle, and they'll seemingly have the dudes, so whatever they want.

if it truthfully went down the way Howell describes, I think most people here would call it "unprofessional" (i.e. beyond "not touchy feely") if any other team had done it

I'm ok acknowledging HCDS is a fallible human being and will learn his job better and better.
OK, here me out. Is it not Rick George's job to hire, fire, not retain the previous staff?
Prime is coming to put Prime's stamp on this program. If Prime tells RG he is not interested in any of the former staff, then it is RG that has those meetings and informs those men.

OK, here me out. Is it not Rick George's job to hire, fire, not retain the previous staff?
Prime is coming to put Prime's stamp on this program. If Prime tells RG he is not interested in any of the former staff, then it is RG that has those meetings and informs those men.
good question. I don't know the actual org chart and whether football assistants report to the HC or direct to the AD.

Or Prime can just meet with them individually and tell them face to face like 99% of coaches in America do.

Or Prime can just meet with them individually and tell them face to face like 99% of coaches in America do.
While I agree with you that I HOPE that's what would happen, it is now well established that Coach Prime doesn't care what 99% of coaches act like haha

That's tough to believe, they had a coaches meeting 8:15 Sunday morning.
Maybe the timing was unfortunate, but Prime even said in the team meeting (If I recall) no one was being retained.

Howell is essentially being replaced here too. The BDC ran a daily article which was a big piece of the CU coverage for the past few years. The past several days have been a sensory overload of information coming from all directions and instantaneously.

I think its great we have a head coach who is more concerned with winning football games and graduating players than hurting people's feelings.

The outgoing staff will be paid through the end of 2023. Mike Sanford will be paid through 2024. They've also got plenty of time to search for new opportunities.

Let's move on.

Last edited:
I’m certain all the coaches went out and purchased new homes in October when Dorrell was fired.

C’mon guys. Most programs move on from assistants when there is a change, except one or two, and this is doubly true when you go 1-11. These assistants have been around the block.

Howell is essentially being replaced here too. The BDC ran a daily article which was a big piece of the CU coverage for the past few years. The past several days have been a sensory overload of information coming from all directions and instantaneously.
Yeah that's why Brian has a twitter account.

I’m certain all the coaches went out and purchased new homes in October when Dorrell was fired.

C’mon guys. Most programs move on from assistants when there is a change, except one or two, and this is doubly true when you go 1-11. These assistants have been around the block.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but you can at least let them know face to face.

Exactly. This is what they signed up for as coaches. They know the deal. Elevated or Executed, or whatever Prime said. :LOL:

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but you can at least let them know face to face.
Duff, is it not more RG's job than Prime? Deion has no obligation to tell those coaches anything unless he tells RG I would like to meet with some of them. I would agree that he could be a man and tell them face-to-face, but what would that look like?

"Hello Coach Sanford, come in, don't sit down, I watched some film on your offense, good luck, bye"

Knowing some of the coaches on the Embree staff, officially the same thing happened when that transition happened, only difference is after they were fired, some of them were able to re-interview for their jobs and get rehired back. Prime is just not hiring them back and not suger coating it. But technically the exact same thing happens every time.

Um, Prime said the assistant coaches weren’t returning on Sunday when a player asked the question.

I think Howell is misrepresenting what happened. It was reported that Prime met with each coach individually. Perhaps there was some speculation about which coaches were coming with him, but he is being deliberately misleading about "his favorite coaching staff to cover" finding out they weren't being retained via Twitter.

Sure, I agree. Be respectful. The fact the things were on social media first is how it goes sometimes. You have new coaches already offering prospects, tweeting, etc. Nature of the beast.

Same things happen to accounting, HR, IT when my org does a takeover. We are not keeping those groups. They know, and the severance package almost always leaks before we can sit down and do a face to face. The “real world” is so much more brutal than coaching world in my opinion.

I think Howell is misrepresenting what happened. It was reported that Prime met with each coach individually. Perhaps there was some speculation about which coaches were coming with him, but he is being deliberately misleading about "his favorite coaching staff to cover" finding out they weren't being retained via Twitter.
I'm certain that they were seeing and hearing rumors, some of them on Twitter, before they got official word.

That unfortunately happens, and nothing can really be done to stop it.

I read anyone bitching about that as an expression of the negative emotions that come with losing your job rather than anything that should be taken seriously.

I'm certain that they were seeing and hearing rumors, some of them on Twitter, before they got official word.

That unfortunately happens, and nothing can really be done to stop it.
Sure it can. You meet with the coaches 1:1, or at least have a phone call, early on. Or call into that coaches staff meeting that supposedly happened Sunday morning. Undoubtedly Prime had his mind made up about this probably before he even said yes to the offer.

It's been strange how he's advocated for certain things during this search. First with Mendenhall and now the old staff. Seems like he's taking things more personally now for whatever reason. I'm sure he's tired of watching losing football like all of us, but Bronco and Sanford ain't it.

Back