What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

How do we know that CU (and others) didn’t use other conference affiliations as a negotiating ploy 11 years ago, only to have UT tell us to kick rocks?

Then B1G commissioner Delaney did leave a not so subtle hint that conference was considering CU. Not long after that, the PAC announced plans to expand.

And LOL at Texas telling us to kick rocks...not true at all.

ESPN dumb to not adjust terms, take top 6-8 Pac to ACC and create a relatively cheap 3rd power conference.
I think the issue here is if the contract with ESPN is opened up for renegotiation (i.e. adding new teams, with new revenue-share model) it likely provides an avenue for the ACC schools to exit their GOR obligations, which more than likely leads to an exodus of some top schools from the ACC to the SEC and B1G.

My guess is that is why the PAC was talking about an alliance with the ACC that would only provide incremental revenue vs a merger of any sort.

One of the big winners from this round of realignment could be the MWC if things go as they seem to be moving:

1. Lost no one to the Big 12 when they went BYU/Cincy/Houston/UCF.
2. Pac-12 fell apart instead of expanding after losing USC/UCLA, so didn't get its most valuable assets poached.
3. Likely to gain OSU & WSU.
as someone who enjoys seeing AFA, Wyoming and CSU games once or twice a year, this excites me.

One of the big winners from this round of realignment could be the MWC if things go as they seem to be moving:

1. Lost no one to the Big 12 when they went BYU/Cincy/Houston/UCF.
2. Pac-12 fell apart instead of expanding after losing USC/UCLA, so didn't get its most valuable assets poached.
3. Likely to gain OSU & WSU.

That's with the assumption that the PAC would fold? I'd say it's more likely the MWC folds/reloads with FCS schools if the P12 media rights end up being more than what the MWC has these days. Can't wait to see those bleating goat fans pound their chests that they are P5 like us.

IF the new Big12 rumors and IF the ADs and Commish took the lazy way out in restructing, this is likely what you'd have. In order of program success/potential/prominence by sport as of 2021-2022. (As a basketball conference - GAWD DAMN!)

FOOTBALL
East
Baylor
Oklahoma State
Cincinnati
Houston
Central Florida
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia

West
Utah
BYU
Iowa State
Kansas State
ASU
Colorado
Arizona
Kansas

BASKETBALL
East
Baylor
Houston
Texas Tech
TCU
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Oklahoma State
Central Florida

West
Kansas
Arizona
Colorado
Iowa State
BYU
ASU
Utah
Kansas State

That's with the assumption that the PAC would fold? I'd say it's more likely the MWC folds/reloads with FCS schools if the P12 media rights end up being more than what the MWC has these days. Can't wait to see those bleating goat fans pound their chests that they are P5 like us.
My post was on the assumption that the new rumors are true: CU/UA/ASU/Utah to B12 & UO/UW/Cal/Furd to ACC.

I believe that is true if and only if eight or more current members of the ACC agree to disband the conference and form a new league. My understanding is that simple expansion of the ACC would not impact the current GoR.
Thanks. I read the contract differently.

Why would a contract that potentially decreases the value per team when teams are added be binding to original teams? It does not contain an escalation clause like the SEC.

IF the new Big12 rumors and IF the ADs and Commish took the lazy way out in restructing, this is likely what you'd have. In order of program success/potential/prominence by sport as of 2021-2022. (As a basketball conference - GAWD DAMN!)

FOOTBALL
East
Baylor
Oklahoma State
Cincinnati
Houston
Central Florida
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia

West
Utah
BYU
Iowa State
Kansas State
ASU
Colorado
Arizona
Kansas

BASKETBALL
East
Baylor
Houston
Texas Tech
TCU
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Oklahoma State
Central Florida

West
Kansas
Arizona
Colorado
Iowa State
BYU
ASU
Utah
Kansas State
If I were CU, I would not like that set up at all. TCU or UH need to be in the west to assure CU playing in the fertile recruiting ground of TX. Why would ISU be in the west?

FOOTBALL
East
Baylor
Oklahoma State
Cincinnati
Houston
Central Florida
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia

West
Utah
BYU
Iowa State
Kansas State
ASU
Colorado
Arizona
Kansas

BASKETBALL
East
Baylor
Houston
Texas Tech
TCU
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Oklahoma State
Central Florida

West
Kansas
Arizona
Colorado
Iowa State
BYU
ASU
Utah
Kansas State

Texas Tech should be in the west since they have histories with both AZ schools from the old Border States Conference. Just swap Iowa State with TT.

Thanks. I read the contract differently.

Why would a contract that potentially decreases the value per team when teams are added be binding to original teams? It does not contain an escalation clause like the SEC.
the presumption is that new schools added would have to sign onto the existing GoR (a.la. Louisville in 2014).

the idea of diluting average value in the ACC, which currently has equal revenue sharing, is definitely an impediment to expansion.

re-negotiating the existing GoR to give UNC, Clemson and FSU a bigger piece of the pie could be what is needed to save the conference.

FOOTBALL
East
Baylor
Oklahoma State
Cincinnati
Houston
Central Florida
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia

West
Utah
BYU
Iowa State
Kansas State
ASU
Colorado
Arizona
Kansas

BASKETBALL
East
Baylor
Houston
Texas Tech
TCU
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Oklahoma State
Central Florida

West
Kansas
Arizona
Colorado
Iowa State
BYU
ASU
Utah
Kansas State
Or, most likely, it becomes divisionless with pods scheduling.

1. UA, ASU, BYU, Utah
2. Baylor, TCU, TTU, UH
3. CU, KU, KSU, OSU
4. ISU, Cincy, WVU, UCF

3 games vs your pod + 6 games vs other pods (2 from each)

Then the 2 highest-ranked teams play in the title game.

For CU, that setup would be pretty good. Familiar schools for annual games, 2 games vs TX schools, a game vs a AZ & UT school, and 2 games that are kind of outliers from tradition when not ISU but getting program exposure in FL/OH/Mid-Atlantic.

I think I like it. For the 3 OOC games, I'd like to see a rotation of AFA/CSU series, a marquee game, and a CA team.

This can work for a while. (And the basketball will be sick.)

FOOTBALL
East
Baylor
Oklahoma State
Cincinnati
Houston
Central Florida
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia

West
Utah
BYU
Iowa State
Kansas State
ASU
Colorado
Arizona
Kansas

BASKETBALL
East
Baylor
Houston
Texas Tech
TCU
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Oklahoma State
Central Florida

West
Kansas
Arizona
Colorado
Iowa State
BYU
ASU
Utah
Kansas State
Nope. Texas is that conference recruiting crown jewel. You need to split the 4 Texas teams.

1. UA, ASU, BYU, Utah
2. Baylor, TCU, TTU, UH
3. CU, KU, KSU, OSU
4. ISU, Cincy, WVU, UCF

For CU, that setup would be pretty good. Familiar schools for annual games, 2 games vs TX schools, a game vs a AZ & UT school, and 2 games that are kind of outliers from tradition when not ISU but getting program exposure in FL/OH/Mid-Atlantic.

I think I like it. For the 3 OOC games, I'd like to see a rotation of AFA/CSU series, a marquee game, and a CA team.

Podophile.

1. UA, ASU, BYU, Utah
2. Baylor, TCU, TTU, UH
3. CU, KU, KSU, OSU
4. ISU, Cincy, WVU, UCF

Now your coming around…ya see…jump in the water is warm

I worry that for purely political reasons (to be rigidly in-line with the non-compromising progressive policies of Cal and Stanford), CU stays in the same conference with them, regrdless of the negative impact on the AD and football program in particular.

Yup, we're going to agree to stay and then watch UO/UW/Furd leave the conference anyways, instead of doing whats best for us right now and going somewhere there is more money and more passion for college football and basketball - and while we build our football program back up

Although sidelines sports sounds like a made up thing, it makes sense. The box states united probably have more negotiating power than P10. And if UW and UO really want to take unequal distributions they have poisoned the P12. F 'em, leave them holding the old maid with their ugly step sisters. I'll miss seeing the Buffs visiting my home, but I'd rather not see them get abused by the unfounded arrogance of those two. Oh, and UW, just remember this - it's been 4 years since you've beaten the lowly Buffs. And still you think you're Ohio State or something?

Although sidelines sports sounds like a made up thing, it makes sense. The box states united probably have more negotiating power than P10. And if UW and UO really want to take unequal distributions they have poisoned the P12. F 'em, leave them holding the old maid with their ugly step sisters. I'll miss seeing the Buffs visiting my home, but I'd rather not see them get abused by the unfounded arrogance of those two. Oh, and UW, just remember this - it's been 4 years since you've beaten the lowly Buffs. And still you think you're Ohio State or something?
I don’t think it makes sense as UO more incentivized to keep Pac together than to demand an extra $10mm/year that they don’t need.

Back