What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

This from Wilner.
Sorry. Having trouble linking a Twitter from my phon
Also Fluguar guy from Minnesota just uploaded a YouTube video talking about this tweet and Stanford, Washington and Oregon's chances in joining Big10.
If you believe him then the PAC is screwed.
It’s actually quite simple. Their are two reasons to go to the Big 12:

1. It has better football teams. Quality matters and in the end the quality of football is going to dictate the amount of viewers and the value of the brand.

2. Washington and Oregon, and possibly Stanford are going to leave for the Big 10 at their earliest opportunity

The rest of this thread is just a bunch of people interpreting the statistics to reinforce their preferences.

Last edited:
If the B1G decides to go to 24....

And if Notre Dame is staying independent...

And if they aren't going to risk messing with the ACC GoR...

And if the top 3 takes are Stanford, Oregon and Washington...

Then Colorado is very likely to be #4.

Stage 3: Bargaining

“In the bargaining stage of grief, you may find yourself creating a lot of “what if” and “if only” statements.”

If that’s the case, then Arizona, ASU, and Utah should bolt to the Big 12 now.

However, I’m not sure CU is #4. With Stanford OR WA going in your scenario, the #4 team could be CU, but also AZ, Utah, or Cal.

It’s like a game show for CU, take the guaranteed cash now with the Big 12 or risk it all and go for the big dollars with an uncertain Big 10 invite later.

If that’s the case, then Arizona, ASU, and Utah should bolt to the Big 12 now.

However, I’m not sure CU is #4. With Stanford OR WA going in your scenario, the #4 team could be CU, but also AZ, Utah, or Cal.

It’s like a game show for CU, take the guaranteed cash now with the Big 12 or risk it all and go for the big dollars with an uncertain Big 10 invite later.
But CU will almost assuredly have a spot in the Big 12 if it gambles on the B1G in your scenario. And let’s be honest, if Oregon, UW and Stanford are leaving the Pac 10, that’s the end of the conference everyone will be looking for a new home regardless.

But CU will almost assuredly have a spot in the Big 12 if it gambles on the B1G in your scenario. And let’s be honest, if Oregon, UW and Stanford are leaving the Pac 10, that’s the end of the conference everyone will be looking for a new home regardless.
I see your point, but it does assume that CU will always have a landing spot not named Mountain West. Probably true, but not a certainty either.

That data is at the end of a long human centipede of weak analysis. They used a 2014 NYT study which was based on counting Facebook likes to make some clickbaity article.

Facebook likes from 2014 is one step above a gypsy with a crystal ball. Just look at Syracuse’s supposed media domination lmao

Any graph that has Syracuse as a top 16 fanbase is clearly flawed

This is such a faint hope that I've been surprised that Wilner has been playing it up so much.
it was paired with the assertion that ucla would have considerably increased costs in the big ten, and they might have to pay cal a subsidy to leave the pac. We’ll see.

Sure hope RG has at least inquired with the BIG. I don’t think CU is as far out of consideration as most. AAU and research may become more relevant in future expansion as there are no more sure financial expansion choices after Notre Dame. Pairing CU with Nubs may be reasonable as well.

Sure hope RG has at least inquired with the BIG. I don’t think CU is as far out of consideration as most. AAU and research may become more relevant in future expansion as there are no more sure financial expansion choices after Notre Dame. Pairing CU with Nubs may be reasonable as well.
If BIG expands to 24 CU has a great chance, IMO. Anything before that, almost no chance

Got to start wondering what the hold up is with the new BIG tv deals and how that relates to further expansion

Yeah, the Big 12 number is already accounted for with losing UT and OU, but I'm not sure the Pac 12 accounts for SC and UCLA leaving. If it doesn't, the USC number is 4.46m so it brings it down to 19.04m, and I imagine UCLA is less than that, but even if it's the same, it still has the Pac 12 at 14.58m fans with two fewer teams than the Big 12.
As others have pointed out, there are some problems with that study.

That said, the whole thing is here:

Some quick math suggests that the total fans with USC and UCLA taken out is 16.71M fans, for an average of 1.67M per remaining Pac12 school.

However, also consider that the ACC numbers include Notre Dame for some weird reason. If you exclude ND from the ACC, the remaining Pac would be just about the same as the ACC and still well ahead of the Big12.

Back