What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

One billion+ dollars.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

350m each from CBS and NBC with 3 games on FOX (noon), CBS (3.30pm) and NBC (prime time) every weekend.

I think the P12 is completely out of options with CBS and NBC being in bed with the B1G now. Disney goes all out on the SEC, FOX is the primary partner of the B1G, what options does that leave for the P12? The noon time slot is a no go so I guess the best you can hope for is that FOX picks up a game for the 3.30pm or prime time slot if they want to go up against their primary product.

350m each from CBS and NBC with 3 games on FOX (noon), CBS (3.30pm) and NBC (prime time) every weekend.

I think the P12 is completely out of options with CBS and NBC being in bed with the B1G now. Disney goes all out on the SEC, FOX is the primary partner of the B1G, what options does that leave for the P12? The noon time slot is a no go so I guess the best you can hope for is that FOX picks up a game for the 3.30pm or prime time slot if they want to go up against their primary product.
Fox has every time slot option covered. ESPN doesn’t have night inventory. It’s ESPN, Turner, Apple or Amazon, IMO.

The deal with Fox, CBS, NBC, Peacock and FS1 is for seven years from July 1, 2023, through June 30, 2030, and network sources told Action Network it’s worth between $7 billion and $8 billion.

The contract includes an escalator clause, meaning the deal could approach nearly $10 billion if the Big Ten’s membership increases, network sources said. Even after adding USC and UCLA, the Big Ten “is not done” expanding, sources told Action Network.

Fox has every time slot option covered. ESPN doesn’t have night inventory. It’s ESPN, Turner, Apple or Amazon, IMO.

What does FOX, as a channel, have at 3.30 and in the prime time slot? Or do you include FS1 here?

The night slot is meh but might be the only option, but I think it's very clear who ESPN and FOX are going with as their primary product.

What does FOX, as a channel, have at 3.30 and in the prime time slot? Or do you include FS1 here?

The night slot is meh but might be the only option, but I think it's very clear who ESPN and FOX are going with as their primary product.
I think Fox still has Big 12 rights they split with ESPN for the next couple years.

How does all this work so smoothly when you have teams like Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland (and Nebraska) in the mix that are not very good. Will $67 Million per year + make them all good teams

How does all this work so smoothly when you have teams like Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland (and Nebraska) in the mix that are not very good. Will $67 Million per year + make them all good teams

Define good. It's all relative and who you are comparing yourself to.

Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois and Indiana (and Nebraska) are in the club and have all the monies to spend. If everything else stays the same, they are likely a more attractive job for coaches than programs like Washington, Baylor, Oklahoma State, maybe Oregon, and many of the ACC jobs. It all depends on how the Playoff evolves and whether the non-B1G/SEC conferences have a seat at the table.

I just can't see FOX coming back and bidding on Pac 10 inventory, that will almost assuredly be tier 2 or tier 3 rights.

Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois and Indiana (and Nebraska) are in the club and have all the monies to spend. If everything else stays the same, they are likely a more attractive job for coaches than programs like Washington, Baylor, Oklahoma State, maybe Oregon, and many of the ACC jobs. It all depends on how the Playoff evolves and whether the non-B1G/SEC conferences have a seat at the table.
I guess that my point is that teams like Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, and Purdue is essentially building a superpower from scratch with just raw money, rather than going and getting brands that are and have always been trying to be great. Oregon > Purdue is obvious. Utah or Washington > Indiana.
I guess that you have to have easy wins as well as powerhouse games. You gotta have the Houston Texans and the Detroit Lions. If CU had not f'ed everything up with Barnett back in 2001 and ridden the past 20 years in the same level of effort, we would easily be in the Big10 and would be one of the powers. So so sad

I guess that my point is that teams like Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, and Purdue is essentially building a superpower from scratch with just raw money, rather than going and getting brands that are and have always been trying to be great. Oregon > Purdue is obvious. Utah or Washington > Indiana.
I guess that you have to have easy wins as well as powerhouse games. You gotta have the Houston Texans and the Detroit Lions. If CU had not f'ed everything up with Barnett back in 2001 and ridden the past 20 years in the same level of effort, we would easily be in the Big10 and would be one of the powers. So so sad
Well, that's the whole debate, right? There are probably 5-6 programs in the B1G and 3-4 in the SEC that wouldn't be included in the "haves" if everything was done from scratch, but there's no way either conference gives those programs to boot to make room for the valuable programs remaining in the Pac/ACC/Big 12... At least not yet.

If CFB does move out of the purview of the NCAA and under one governance system, then I think all bets are off, and it will probably only be about which programs deliver the best level of competition and ratings to create NFL-lite.

But yes, I do agree that even the NFL needs the Lions, Browns, Jags, Jets, Texans, etc. It's going to be a rude awakening for all these traditional blue bloods when they start losing 3-4 games/year and the competitive balance is no longer skewed toward them. A lot has to happen to get to that point, though.

Reading the ESPN.com article, it appears simple with the B1G's time slots:

Fox gets noon ET.
CBS gets 3:30 ET.
NBC gets Saturday Night football and will be called "Big Ten Saturday Night.". You might as well call it "USC Saturday Night" too.

Rest would be on Fox (other times), Peacock, and the BTN.

I just can't see FOX coming back and bidding on Pac 10 inventory, that will almost assuredly be tier 2 or tier 3 rights.

That's fair, I think my question is who the P12 goes to with their tier 1 rights. Streaming might be their best, as you speculate, but losing that network TV presence is not ideal.

I have a feeling the new name will be B1G on CBS.

Believe it or not, some of the biggest complaints I've read/listened to about CBS no longer being involved with the SEC is that song no longer being associated with the them.

The SEC CBS, NFL FOX and NBA NBC themes are just absolutely iconic themes.

That's fair, I think my question is who the P12 goes to with their tier 1 rights. Streaming might be their best, as you speculate, but losing that network TV presence is not ideal.
I think their best bet is to embrace the night games for their tier 1 rights and go all in with ESPN. Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights could be owned by the Pac10 and would guarantee big viewership for each of those games. Problem is, in order for it to make a difference with the payouts, they still need at least one other entity out there vying for those games, otherwise ESPN will just make a lowball offer. That's why hopefully Apple or Turner (Amazon is assuredly out on Thursday night games due to their investment in the NFL TNF) are looking to jump in.

Then again, why wouldn't Fox try to box out ESPN from the evening/night inventory and scoop up those games as well? Fox would then have prime time inventory on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights to go with their Big Noon and other B1G games throughout Saturday.

I think their best bet is to embrace the night games for their tier 1 rights and go all in with ESPN. Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights could be owned by the Pac10 and would guarantee big viewership for each of those games. Problem is, in order for it to make a difference with the payouts, they still need at least one other entity out there vying for those games, otherwise ESPN will just make a lowball offer. That's why hopefully Apple or Turner (Amazon is assuredly out on Thursday night games due to their investment in the NFL TNF) are looking to jump in.

Then again, why wouldn't Fox try to box out ESPN from the evening/night inventory and scoop up those games as well? Fox would then have prime time inventory on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights to go with their Big Noon and other B1G games throughout Saturday.
Still need another serious bidder or “all in with ESPN” money looks the same as previous rumors.

Is there talk of FOX looking for a regular Friday game?

Back