What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

If not for the 99 year agreement, the Big 12 would make a whole lot more sense.

I personally prefer the flexibility of the PAC 12 over the chains of the Big 12.

Prior to learning about the 99-year agreement, I might’ve felt differently.

I don’t know how some of you shrug that off.

I personally prefer the flexibility of the PAC 12 over the chains of the Big 12.

I would think the Pac 12 schools might be able to get some concessions, or at least a very reduced buyout in the event the B1G or SEC came calling. Or maybe a tiered buyout schedule that locks them in for 2024-2030, but then is greatly reduced after?

I think the big issue is the idea of the pro rata payouts for the deals. If what some have said is true about ESPN having a P5 escalator to $20m/school but FOX not having one, where is the incentive for any of the P12 schools to join? And also where is the incentive for the B12 to add P5 programs if they would all take a $10m payout reduction from ESPN?

For any of it to make sense, Fox would have to include an escalator or ESPN’s escalator would have to increase substantially, along with an amended GOR

I think I've given up on the PAC.
It's a foregone conclusion that Oregon and Washington are eventually BIG10 bound. When they are gone its lights out.
I suppose if I felt better about CU's odds of eventually going to BIG10 or SEC I might feel different. I could be totally wrong but from everything I've read Colorado isn't in an conversation for BIG10 futures.

I shrug it off because I don’t care if CU ever gets into the B1G or the SEC. As long as the Buffs are in a P5 conference that sends teams into the CFP it’s all good. Plus, there’s a real risk with staying in the flailing PAC. The world will still spin around if PAC sports aren’t televised for a year or two, but it would be devastating for PAC athletics financially, and possibly fatal. There’s no Papa Kroenke keeping the ship(s) afloat while the media negotiation drags on. And don’t count too much on the Colorado legislature to save the day. That’s a blackjack game to avoid.

Last edited:
I would think the Pac 12 schools might be able to get some concessions, or at least a very reduced buyout in the event the B1G or SEC came calling. Or maybe a tiered buyout schedule that locks them in for 2024-2030, but then is greatly reduced after?

I think the big issue is the idea of the pro rata payouts for the deals. If what some have said is true about ESPN having a P5 escalator to $20m/school but FOX not having one, where is the incentive for any of the P12 schools to join? And also where is the incentive for the B12 to add P5 programs if they would all take a $10m payout reduction from ESPN?

For any of it to make sense, Fox would have to include an escalator or ESPN’s escalator would have to increase substantially, along with an amended GOR
If there are concessions to be had, then they need to be in writing up front. I just don’t see any incentive where the existing members have to abide by something like the 99 year agreement, whereas the new members would not, especially when the revenue bump may not be there. Why would any of them agree to that? All you would do is provide the best set of options for, say, the four corner schools. And none of those options for Baylor, or Tech, or Okie State.

As with everything in realignment, I acknowledge that anything is possible.

I shrug it off because I don’t care if CU ever gets into the B1G or the SEC. As long as the Buffs are in a P5 conference that sends teams into the CFP it’s all good. Plus, there’s a real risk with staying in the flailing PAC. The world will still spin around if PAC sports aren’t televised for a year or two, but it would be devastating for PAC athletics financially and possibly fatal. There’s no Papa Kroenke keeping the ship(s) afloat while the media negotiation drags on. And don’t count too much on the Colorado legislature to save the day. That’s a blackjack game to avoid.
Ok, that’s a fair take. And similar to @InTheBuff

If you feel that CU is truly out of any future consideration for the B1G or SEC, then snagging a spot in the Big 12 makes sense.

Simplifying it, the Big 12 offers a high floor, low ceiling. Staying in the Pac12 provides some future flexibility for upside, with some mountain west downside risks.

If you feel that CU is truly out of any future consideration for the B1G or SEC, then snagging a spot in the Big 12 makes sense.

Simplifying it, the Big 12 offers a high floor, low ceiling. Staying in the Pac12 provides some future flexibility for upside, with some mountain west downside risks.
I’m just seeing some high risk in the current PAC situation and it seems to be getting worse not better. The odds of ending up with a much worse deal financially than the B12 deal are very real, including the risk that only a few CU games might be televised. That would suck, and would also probably put at least one of Prime’s feet firmly out the door.

I don’t think this is a time to be worrying about the cachet of visiting Palo Alto or Seattle vs visiting Lubbock or Stillwater. The stakes seem potentially very big to me.

Last edited:

Oregon and Washington leave who replaces them? Let's assume SMU and SDSU are already in PAC.
Would you be thrilled with Fresno and UNLV ? Puke

Oregon and Washington leave who replaces them? Let's assume SMU and SDSU are already in PAC.
Would you be thrilled with Fresno and UNLV ? Puke
Yeah, that’s the downside risk.

The upside is that *maybe* the B1G and the SEC grab a few teams out west in the future and CU is among that group. Being in the Big 12 may preclude that.

Obviously, there is a lot of game theory at play here, and we all want CU to land with the best possible outcome.

Hindsight being 20/20, CU should’ve taken the B1G offer with Nebraska a decade ago.

you have some of the most bizarre takes across the Board.
That's fine with me. The P12 is dying, and we will get out.
I'd urge every Buff fan to read this article about how CP and friends are taking CU to new heights on social media. CU will be the model other programs try to emulate.

Good read. Sankey's remark where he stated that even after adding UT and OU the SEC's longest road trip will be shorter than the shortest trip for the LA schools, which would imply they aren't interested in stretching to the West coast. But I still hold a sliver of hope that CU would be a viable candidate for the SEC due to a combination of market, football history, potential, plus we would fit the model of contiguous states, which is something that Sankey has mentioned. Prime himself wouldn't necessarily be a factor since he won't be here forever but he is bringing CU back onto the college football map in a big way which will hopefully be sustainable. And we have one of the best fanbases in the Pac12.

Having said that I believe that if the SEC expands into new territory that the state of North Carolina would be their #1 target, whether that would be UNC or NC State.

It really only costs FSU $120m to leave the ACC? That can't be accurate or it seems like a no brainer.

That's the exit fee, but they'd still lose their media rights for the remainder of the contract, is my understanding. So hundreds of millions more.

Its 120 million to exit the ACC PLUS whatever new monies are gained by the exiting team from their new conference….

the ACC’s grant of rights means that were a school to leave the conference for another, “the ACC would get any media revenue generated from athletic events on its campus through summer 2036.”

What do mean by a no brainer? And do you really believe these schools have $120m laying around to spend on a buyout?

Last edited:
I'd love to read an insider's account of the decision making process that led CU to leave the XII. In hindsight, it seems like a crazy decision, but I'm sure it didn't look that way at the time.

When the Big XII was created the Big 8 added the 4 Texas schools from the SWC and the conferences offices were in KC as was the CCG.

At the end of the BIg XII the conferences offices and CCG were moved to Texas. UT had gained outsized influence with power in the conference and had uneven revenue. UT signed the ESPN deal for the Long Horn Network which was the straw the broke the camels back. They obviously refused to share any of that money and the move effectively blocked the conference from ever having its own TV network. In short order Missouri and Texas A&M left for the SEC, NU left for the B1G, and CU left for the Pac.

Last edited:
When we the Big XII was created the Big 8 added the 4 Texas schools from the WAC and the conferences offices were in KC as was the CCG.

At the end of the BIg XII the conferences offices and CCG were moved to Texas. UT had gained outsized influence with power and uneven revenue. UT then signed the ESPN deal for the Long Horn Network and refused to share any of that money and effectively blocked the conference from ever having its own TV network. Missouri and Texas A&M left first for the SEC. Then NU left for the B1G and CU left for the Pac.

The Big 8 added 4 schools from the SWC not the WAC

Clemson joins FSU in pushing for unequal revenue distribution in the ACC

When asked if unequal distribution was a “want” or a “need,” Clemson athletic director Graham Neff chose the stronger of the two words.

“In all candor, I put it as a need,” Neff said in an interview with The Post and Courier. “We certainly recognize the investment that we’ve continued to make as an institution, in our community, in athletics, namely in football, which certainly drives a lot of value that is important from a television and revenue-generation standpoint.

do a 5 year deal with apple, total rights package. wait for the next big rodeo.

or otherwise we are going to be looking forward to those awesome roadies to college towns that stink of meth, manure, and quiet desperation.

Poster on 247 who seems to be in 'the know' says PAC survival is 50/50.
Most money to be made will be mid 20s streaming. Says BIG12 really wants CU and has for a long time.

I didn't feel like he had any insider info. Just recapping the same stuff we have all read. The title itself says it's a recap of media talk.
The title is, “Latest I Hear on Media” and the Buffzilla guy talks about things he’s heard from his “sources” a couple times. Obviously TIFWIW

I still believe CU will be attractive to the B1G if we start winning again. As much as I hate the failing of the P12 and equally the idea of joining the B12, it's probably the right move at this point, so long as we're not severely handcuffed to move in a 3 to 5 year window. It's hard to imagine moving to the B12 and then moving again a few years after that, though.

Back