What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

also how big is the b12 willing to get?

Both Fox & ESPN told the Big 12 they will pay any P5 school equal money. If television with money can make it happen, it will happen. They just want less mouths (conferences) to feed.

You would think someone besides a sports talk radio host from Oklahoma would’ve confirmed any of that reporting in the week since he tweeted that.

Regardless, that doesn’t answer my question. As far as I know, the distributions for bowls, playoffs, and the ncaa tournament are proportional so unless I’m not aware of something or Dodd is making the argument that there will be a higher proportion of BIG12 teams in those events, that money differential doesn’t really matter. To me, it looks like Dodd is making his classic mistake, which is opening his mouth and proving he doesn’t understand even the basics of what he’s talking about. Dude has never changed.

Actual insiders like McMurphy and Dellenger have confirmed that there is smoke to the BIG12 rumors, hell even Howell has at this point. It would be nice if we could contain the rumors to actual respected, national journalists and not Dodd, random college football fans from BIG12 country, and parody Twitter accounts.
The sooner we know, the better...

if uw and uo were to join CU and ua in the b12 i would feel a little better about it-- at least there will actually be some peer schools coming along with actual academics and actual program history. i can't believe stanford and cal wouldn't be invited too. what would become of Arizona state in this scenario and utah? everyone figures that wsu and osu would be ****ed too?

how does all this work? it isn't making sense, man.

david byrne dancing GIF
Did you just say UO and both academics and program history in the same sentence?

if uw and uo were to join CU and ua in the b12 i would feel a little better about it-- at least there will actually be some peer schools coming along with actual academics and actual program history. i can't believe stanford and cal wouldn't be invited too. what would become of Arizona state in this scenario and utah? everyone figures that wsu and osu would be ****ed too?

how does all this work? it isn't making sense, man.

david byrne dancing GIF
I wonder if Colorado can’t make friends. We should have a collective bargaining with the 6 other AAU schools.

Instead, it appears to be:
Oregon and Washington
Cal and Stanford
Arizona and ASU
Utah on its own
And Colorado on its own

The media is putting CU and UA together but in print the UA and ASU ADs say they are a package deal.

We’re doing the lone wolf thing again from 2011 when we should have worked with Nebraska - as awful as that is - to get into the B1G. I don’t think our approach has changed and I think it’s the wrong approach.

Did you just say UO and both academics and program history in the same sentence?
uo is a peer school academically and has been for decades. they have a far glitzier athletic record than we have had in the last 20 years. eugene is in many ways similar to boulder except the sun never comes out.

yes, they are a peer school.

if any school was going to try to lone wolf this thing i thought it would be oregon, not CU.

oregon, uw, CU at a minimum should try to stick together and cut the best deal they can.
next tier would be utah, ua, and cal and stanford
next tier would be america's stripper u.
troubled tier is wsu and osu.

this is what is breaking my brain--- are uw and uo going to get big invites? is that what is driving us to the b12? are we all going together? i think there are a lot more moving parts to this than CU has decided the money is better in the b12 and therefore it is leaving on its own.

i dunno, man, i dunno.

this whole conference realignment **** is ugly and is ****ing up the traditions and rivalries that make CFB so great.

I wonder if Colorado can’t make friends. We should have a collective bargaining with the 6 other AAU schools.

Oregon and Washington
Cal and Stanford
Arizona and ASU
Utah on its own
And Colorado on its own

The media is putting CU and UA together but in print the UA and ASU ADs say they are a package deal.

We’re doing the lone wolf thing again from 2011 when we should have worked with Nebraska - as awful as that is - to get into the B1G. I don’t think our approach has changed and I think it’s the wrong approach.

I think the problem with Utah is that they don't want to be in a conference with BYU again given their history. ASU's president is very pro-P12 and that is why they appear reluctant to move. I have been seeing either AZ school at a time being rumored to the Big 12 pretty much since CU joined the P12. One has to play the good guy and that is what ASU & Utah are doing while their counterparts are doing the dirty work.

And a big YES to working with the Nubs again in the B1G. I was hoping this CU-Utah thing would take off but it doesn't appear to be happening and that means a pairing with CSU down the road might have to happen.

Agree with you that CU should have worked with the Nubs.

this is what is breaking my brain--- are uw and uo going to get big invites? is that what is driving us to the b12? are we all going together? i think there are a lot more moving parts to this than CU has decided the money is better in the b12 and therefore it is leaving on its own.

Unequal revenue sharing is what is driving this CU to the B12 train. CU left the B12 due to unequal revenue sharing and UO & UW is said to want to go down that path until they eventually leave for the B1G.

Oregon and Washington
Cal and Stanford
Arizona and ASU
Utah on its own
And Colorado on its own

If CU had not sucked in football for two decades, everyone would be our realignment friend. Other than that, we don’t have an instate partner and no real rival, so we are not connected to anyone. It’s one of the reasons that CU feels so compelled to find a landing spot.

Unequal revenue sharing is what is driving this CU to the B12 train. CU left the B12 due to unequal revenue sharing and UO & UW is said to want to go down that path until they eventually leave for the B1G.

CU would be on the wrong side of unequal rev sharing? i thought the idea was that there would be unequal sharing of bowl game stuff and based upon tv appearances and such...

or, uw and uo want a bigger base share?

i dunno, man. this whole thing smells like a 3 day old cod in the texas sun.

i guess we will see. of course, i also thought CU would own the p12 after it got its footing back. that never happened, either.

it’s too bad the big 10 doesn’t want to add the Buffs. We’ve got Prime! The mountain time zone. The denver tv market. Would be great to join that conference….. but big 12 is a good second choice, although not as fun since 3 of our previous big 8 teams are now gone and texas/texas a&m are gone too.

A PAC merger with the ACC ain’t happening because of their GOR, but could one be struck with the Big12? This would be a perfect time to ditch dead weight and increase revenues for a combined 16 program PAC/Big 12:

CU
Utah
Cal
Stanford
ASU
UA
OU
UW

Baylor
Kansas
KSU
OSU
TCU
Texas Tech
BYU
Houston

That conference would have to be worth more than the current Big 12 deal.

And yes, I know it won’t happen.

CU would be on the wrong side of unequal rev sharing? i thought the idea was that there would be unequal sharing of bowl game stuff and based upon tv appearances and such...

or, uw and uo want a bigger base share?

i dunno, man. this whole thing smells like a 3 day old cod in the texas sun.

i guess we will see. of course, i also thought CU would own the p12 after it got its footing back. that never happened, either.

With CP, CU shouldn't be on the wrong side of that unequal revenue sharing if it is based on tv appearances, bowl games and tourney appearances. That was basically the Pac-10 before CU came to the conference. The ACC might have provided the P12 with the blueprint with their recent announcement of unequal revenue sharing that starts next year.

I would prefer that CU stay in the P12 but it seems like the CU AD has different ideas and I'm just going with the flow towards the B12. We are forgetting to blame USC for all of this mess by leaving for the B1G.

I mean, if the 4C schools all go Big 12 as well, it’s just Seattle, Eugene and Bay Area you’re missing. Better than Stillwater, Lawrence, Manhattan, and Waco but pretty meh. Also, how many roadies does the average fan on AB go on a year? Less than one?
Does the Big 10 take Oregon and Washington right now? If the answer to that is no, we're likely forcing their hands too with a move.

Having leverage is fun.

If CU had not sucked in football for two decades, everyone would be our realignment friend. Other than that, we don’t have an instate partner and no real rival, so we are not connected to anyone. It’s one of the reasons that CU feels so compelled to find a landing spot.
We’re making a case here that CU needs to stick it out with Utah. Ideally the PNW + Utah. Enough of the conference soul searching. I could see us fall into the same issue in the new B12 - no rival, no partner, isolated then left wondering where to next in 7-10 years.

Basically, recreate the Big 8 vibe with the 6 other AAUs in the P12.

We’re making a case here that CU needs to stick it out with Utah. Ideally the PNW + Utah. Enough of the conference soul searching. I could see us fall into the same issue in the new B12 - no rival, no partner, isolated then left wondering where to next in 7-10 years.

Basically, recreate the Big 8 vibe with the 6 other AAUs in the P12.
There's one very easy way for CU to stay in this conference, George.

Maybe you should lay off allbuffs and get back to work on the media deal. 😂

BIG news! I owe IBT and paccy an apology!

From a trusted source, Yormark is Flexing BIG and will give out the official invitation to the Big12 and it is expected to be “accepted “ within 48 hours.

This looks like it is really going down!

The key point that clinched the deal is that Gonzaga will start playing football for the 2024 season. The Zags have built a roadmap that Yormark loved that will get Gonzaga into the football playoffs by the 2027 season.

Clear your calendar on June 5th. I’ve got… I mean GK might have a trick up his ol sleeve.

And that's next Monday...CU can wait in this case.

Don't know about this board including myself LOL.

Basically a ratings love letter to CU. The quotes from Fox’s exec 😉 just perfect.

“(Deion) has basically changed the whole perspective on Colorado,” said Derek Crocker, Fox’s Vice President for College Sports. “Fans want to tune into storylines, and right now, he’s one of the biggest stories in college football.”

“From the available inventory in the first couple of weeks, these two games were the top two available to us,” Crocker said. “And we made them a priority in our draft.”

Why does anyone think the Pac has any hope at this point?

Assume the best and Apple decides to offer $10 million a team making the total Pac contract somewhere around $30 million.

UW and UO are going to want unequal revenue share, which CU and others can't let happen.

UW and UO are never going to sign a grant of rights like the teams stuck in the ACC and can get into the Big10 and make more than the $30 million.

Pac losing USC and UCLA killed any chance of the conference surviving. Adding San Diego State or any other combination of schools does nothing to increase revenue.

Someone just pull the plug already.

Assume the best and Apple decides to offer $10 million a team making the total Pac contract somewhere around $30 million.

UW and UO are going to want unequal revenue share, which CU and others can't let happen.

UW and UO are never going to sign a grant of rights like the teams stuck in the ACC and can get into the Big10 and make more than the $30 million.

Pac losing USC and UCLA killed any chance of the conference surviving. Adding San Diego State or any other combination of schools does nothing to increase revenue.

Agree. Once USC and UCLA pulled the pin, there ain't much saving this party. And the hope from apple is nothing, if apple was going to offer something meaningful, The teams in PAC would know it already, whether it's been officially announced or not. June 5th is nothing.

The only hope of Pac12 survival at this point is a media deal on par (or in spitting distance) with the Big 12 AND the BIG not extending an offer to OU, UW, Cal or Stanford. Odds of both happening??

Other than the fact that there are zero appealing matchups in the Big XII, the main reason that I would prefer us to stay with the Pac12 is that we will have leverage. I do not want us committing to anything that requires a longer than 3-5 year commitment. Give Prime everything he needs and let him cook for a few years. At that point, see where we fit. Does anyone think that the Big XII won't want us in 3 years? Look at who they're pursuing. If the B1G and SEC don't want us at that point, fine - do what we need to for long term success. Right now is all about maintaining flexibility.

And keeping Prime happy.

Back