What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Angry Gi Joe GIF

If the Nubs are still in the B1G

If that means the Nubs return to the Big 12, this makes me want to see CU back in the B12 even more.

I will never forget the amount of hate that was released from my body when CU played at Nebraska back in 2018...it great so sweet after that W in Lincoln.

Honestly, I have a ton of respect for the Big 12 commish. He clearly knows the Big 12 can be good in football but still a clear #3 behind the SEC and B1G. But he is perhaps positioning to be a clear #1 in basketball. It’s not a bad strategy honestly, as being the best in one sport buoys the other to a degree.

Honestly, I have a ton of respect for the Big 12 commish. He clearly knows the Big 12 can be good in football but still a clear #3 behind the SEC and B1G. But he is perhaps positioning to be a clear #1 in basketball. It’s not a bad strategy honestly, as being the best in one sport buoys the other to a degree.

Yeah, quite a bit of truth in that. It was obvious that when the Big12 hired a New York sharp instead of yet another good old boy that they did want to play big boy ball finally.

From what I've gathered

Colorado to Big XII is serious and the money from the TV deals are expected to be anywhere from 18-20 million per school without ESPN for the Pac-12.

Big XII has been in serious talks with Colorado, Memphis, San Diego State, and Gonzaga.

Big XII talks with Oregon have heated up. Oregon is lukewarm.

There is no word from the other corner schools right now but Colorado could be the first to really get things moving.

Big XII is considering adding 18-20 schools.

Washington has no interest in the Big XII.

While Washington insiders will sell the hill on the B1G invite. I was told the B1G isn't close to adding a school right now till they resolve their current deals in place. Oregon is aware of this and keeping all options open. Washington is selling wolf tickets as if this is not a big deal. Keep an eye on this.

Do not be surprised if the Pac-12 survives and are just 8 schools. I am told that the TV deal is pretty fluid and if 4-5 schools leave, the terms of the deals do not change much.

I have Pac-12 survival at 99%. Even if it's just Washington till they get a B1G invite, Stanford, Cal, Wazzu, OSU, and three other schools that fit what these are looking for in academics and locations.

I honestly expect Colorado State to get an invite. SDSU should get one if they want it and SMU. Watch for UNLV, Rice, Tulane, or Fresno. Obviously, do not expect full shares from these guys. I expect Oregon to be the wildcard. They will dip on anyone for a SEC or B1G invite but they will do what's best for them and their relevancy.

Based on the information I've gathered today. The only way the PAC-12 is dying is if B1G kills it.

Almost forgot to mention UCONN as another team the Big XII has interest in and UCONN is also interested

The UConn to B12 thing never made much sense to me. They left a “football” conference to go back to the Big East (where they belong). Yeah, the B12 is a good hoops conference - possibly the best - but their alumni is really happy in the Big East. Very little in realignment would surprise me but UConn going to the Truckstop 12 would.

The UConn to B12 thing never made much sense to me. They left a “football” conference to go back to the Big East (where they belong). Yeah, the B12 is a good hoops conference - possibly the best - but their alumni is really happy in the Big East. Very little in realignment would surprise me but UConn going to the Truckstop 12 would.
The American was a G5. Big XII is a P5. Big difference. The NEW Big XII is what the American conference wanted to do but failed because of the G5 status

The American was a G5. Big XII is a P5. Big difference. The NEW Big XII is what the American conference wanted to do but failed because of the G5 status
I get it. It just surprises me because all the UConn fans I know are pretty against it. Now that could be because I run in basketball circles but it’s still surprising.

Plus I’m not even sure they have football fans.

I get it. It just surprises me because all the UConn fans I know are pretty against it. Now that could be because I run in basketball circles but it’s still surprising.

Plus I’m not even sure they have football fans.
33 million to 8 mil in the american or 4 mil in the Big East. It makes sense why UCONN will go to the Big XII. They had a decent year last year

From what I've gathered

Colorado to Big XII is serious and the money from the TV deals are expected to be anywhere from 18-20 million per school without ESPN for the Pac-12.

Big XII has been in serious talks with Colorado, Memphis, San Diego State, and Gonzaga.

There is no word from the other corner schools right now but Colorado could be the first to really get things moving.

While Washington insiders will sell the hill on the B1G invite. I was told the B1G isn't close to adding a school right now till they resolve their current deals in place. Oregon is aware of this and keeping all options open. Washington is selling wolf tickets as if this is not a big deal. Keep an eye on this.

Do not be surprised if the Pac-12 survives and are just 8 schools. I am told that the TV deal is pretty fluid and if 4-5 schools leave, the terms of the deals do not change much.

I have Pac-12 survival at 99%. Even if it's just Washington till they get a B1G invite, Stanford, Cal, Wazzu, OSU, and three other schools that fit what these are looking for in academics and locations.

I honestly expect Colorado State to get an invite. SDSU should get one if they want it and SMU. Watch for UNLV, Rice, Tulane, or Fresno. Obviously, do not expect full shares from these guys. I expect Oregon to be the wildcard. They will dip on anyone for a SEC or B1G invite but they will do what's best for them and their relevancy.

Based on the information I've gathered today. The only way the PAC-12 is dying is if B1G kills it.

Almost forgot to mention UCONN as another team the Big XII has interest in and UCONN is also interested
You mean 18-20 total, correct?

Could be 16 Football and 4 more basketball

You mean 18-20 total, correct?

Could be 16 Football and 4 more basketball
Other than Gonzaga, I don't believe the other schools are being considered for just Basketball. Gonzaga is currently the only Basketball only add and that's because ESPN wants Gonzaga.

That said, Memphis, UCONN, and SDSU are not getting the same deals that the corner schools or Oregon would get.

How do the post season distributions work in basketball? Is it X amount per team that makes the tournament?
I have zero clue. I honestly think, ESPN wants to kill all G5 Basketball. It's clear even Basketball has value to ESPN and without Big East, PAC-12, or B1G Basketball. They need to make up the lost content. So Basketball actually matters this go around

From what I've gathered

well, this is interesting if it all comes to pass...

basically the b12 is trying to create a 3rd power conference through volume instead of gravitas. it could even work... they will try to get multiple auto bids just based on the number of teams (32?!). it essentially puts everyone meaningful together to counter the sec and big.

i understand why uw is balking. they are even more full of themselves than we are. they, like most of us, are having a hard time conceptualizing being left at the kid's table. if the pac survives with 8, it probably loses the auto-bid in the next go-round. but, until then, it would give oregon and uw a huge edge up on playoff access.

if they regionalize the 32? in the big12, it might look ok--- seriously, that conference should get 2 auto bids.

the money factor here means something--- uo, uw, stanford, and possibly cal can roll the dice and wait for the next shakeout in the reduced pac 8. wsu and osu definitely will be ****ed. will ua, asu, and utah be willing to take the losses and hold out hope until then? i think there is a decent chance that if uw/uo/cal/stanford/wsu/osu stick together for now, it won't likely be a pac 12.

When you think about what Yourmark and ESPN is doing. They are bleeding out the PAC-12 and anyone who's G5. If you are G5, they want to minimum wage you. You gonna see teams dying to go to the new PAC and it's dying honestly. No ESPN. Basketball games on CW and CBS College Sports. It's basically the new Mountain West.

well, this is interesting if it all comes to pass...

basically the b12 is trying to create a 3rd power conference through volume instead of gravitas. it could even work... they will try to get multiple auto bids just based on the number of teams (32?!). it essentially puts everyone meaningful together to counter the sec and big.

i understand why uw is balking. they are even more full of themselves than we are. they, like most of us, are having a hard time conceptualizing being left at the kid's table. if the pac survives with 8, it probably loses the auto-bid in the next go-round. but, until then, it would give oregon and uw a huge edge up on playoff access.

if they regionalize the 32? in the big12, it might look ok--- seriously, that conference should get 2 auto bids.

the money factor here means something--- uo, uw, stanford, and possibly cal can roll the dice and wait for the next shakeout in the reduced pac 8. wsu and osu definitely will be ****ed. will ua, asu, and utah be willing to take the losses and hold out hope until then? i think there is a decent chance that if uw/uo/cal/stanford/wsu/osu stick together for now, it won't likely be a pac 12.
I actually don't believe they are doing that. I think they are the one conference that's excepted its faith. They are a middle class conference but they want to be the best middle class conference in the world. The PAC still thinks it's an upper class conference. ESPN said, you are middle class and less valuable to us than the Big XII especially if we can take some of your brands and turn this conference into what the American wanted to be. The top middle class conference in the world but it's impossible to be middle class when you are lower middle class in everything. You got a lot of bus drivers and cafeteria workers in conferences like the Sun Belt, Mt West, and CUSA. But your bus drivers get paid more because you are in bigger cities.

Now with the Big XII realizing what they are. They created a market for themselves. They know they are no longer upper class but they are middle class. The ACC and Pac-12 refuse to realize they are middle class now too and it's gonna drive the PAC to being a fake middle class conference.

For 2024-25, the B1G and SEC is upper class.

ACC, Big XII, and PAC are middle class

The G5s are always lower middle class and lower class with no chance of being middle class as they lack the "athletic education"

The ACC has not accepted its faith but are stuck. The Big XII has and they are doing exactly what the American conference wanted to do. Be a conference that's coast to coast. The best middle class sports available but they only had G5 money and you can't be middle class or upper middle class with G5 money. No one wants to travel if they don't have to. It helps that ESPN is doing the bidding for the Big XII and that's honestly what's killed the PAC.

The PAC won't be dead but it's gonna be the Mountain West with great inheritance. Sadly, they didn't read the room. The Big XII is reading the room and they don't have any competition. The G5s are easy pickings, everyone wants out.

I think we are going to see the Big XII be the first upper middle class conference when its all said and done.

The landscape has changed and they were the ones to adjust. I still think the ACC can be upper middle class but how long can that last with so much uncertainty.

A Big XII with CU, Arizona, Baylor, TTU, OSU, TCU, BYU, KU, KSU, and WVU may not have any football powerhouses (yet) but it does certainly have name/brand recognition. Add in ISU and maybe UCONN, Gonzaga, and SDSU and you have the makings of THE college basketball conference.

It could work. It would be weird as hell, but it could work.

I prefer the Pac12 for a host of reasons, but if it would be $10-15 mil behind the Big XII, which would likely be $15-20 mil behind the SEC and Big10... It's a no-brainer.

A Big XII with CU, Arizona, Baylor, TTU, OSU, TCU, BYU, KU, KSU, and WVU may not have any football powerhouses (yet) but it does certainly have name/brand recognition. Add in ISU and maybe UCONN, Gonzaga, and SDSU and you have the makings of THE college basketball conference.

It could work. It would be weird as hell, but it could work.

I prefer the Pac12 for a host of reasons, but if it would be $10-15 mil behind the Big XII, which would likely be $15-20 mil behind the SEC and Big10... It's a no-brainer.
The problem with the PAC is ESPN. It's been the problem. Your not on FOX. You are basically on CBS as tier 2, Apple streaming and CW, how do you get views? On top of that, you looking at 12 million less per year and it's likely Apple gonna want more games so it's likely a PAC-12 with SMU, Rice, Tulane, CSU, UNLV, and other schools. Even if you convince yourself we can dominate and go to the playoffs as an auto bid. You think some of these schools will be happy with no ESPN or Fox visibility and being on CBS Sports Network and CW.

The conference won't die but it's on the Brink. I can see a major shift if Yale or Harvard wanted to go P5 and these schools take them to create some super academic conference and could care less about TV. But that won't include Washington or Oregon long term, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Have to ask, where are you getting the ESPN intel from and the current deal revenue from?
I spoke to a couple closely connected to Washington and Oregon as well as a couple Big XII guys who are extremely connected which are affiliated with some of the guys like Monty and the SicEm365.

My Washington contact, she's selling but the Oregon contact is saying realistically, the B1G aren't in position to add schools right now and even if we are first in line, when will that line be open and B1G are making it clear, it might not be addressed for years. Like SDSU, they are in a bit of a time crunch and they don't want to play games that's mainly not on ESPN/ABC/FOX. They continue to say it's mainly the non-football sports that will suffer the most.

Washington doesn't care, they don't want to go to the Big XII and will just wait out their invite to the B1G even if it doesn't come for years. But my Washington contact swares it's coming this year. My Oregon contact says they aren't as confident in that but they do believe it will come at some point and don't mind getting out of any contract early if the opportunity knocks for the B1G or SEC.

The Big XII contacts been telling me this but the ADs and Presidents for the PAC have been either non committal or selling and the Big XII guys were right. I don't know whatelse to say. Based on what the Big XII guys are telling me, none of the Presidents want to leave the PAC but that TV deal can force many to want out.

Washington, Washington St, Oregon State, Stanford, and Cal are going nowhere. Both believe the corner schools will come and they believe SDSU will as well. Fresno wants to go to either conference but they aren't high on either chart and based on the teams that are left, academics will be CRITICAL. Do not be shocked if an Ivy or two or three joins the new PAC. This was brought up by my Oregon guy who said there are interest in east coast schools with elite academics. The direction is a lot different than what Oregon wants if it stays.

One more thing to bite on. ESPN doesn't want the ACC to break. So this is the reason why you see UConn and Memphis to the Big XII. The ACC has no options to add quality schools. This forces 7 or 8 of them to stick together. Basically, you force the bottom 7 to be loyal and force the other 7 to Basically stick. ESPN are elite at what they do. The best in the world.

I actually don't believe they are doing that. I think they are the one conference that's excepted its faith. They are a middle class conference but they want to be the best middle class conference in the world. The PAC still thinks it's an upper class conference. ESPN said, you are middle class and less valuable to us than the Big XII especially if we can take some of your brands and turn this conference into what the American wanted to be. The top middle class conference in the world but it's impossible to be middle class when you are lower middle class in everything. You got a lot of bus drivers and cafeteria workers in conferences like the Sun Belt, Mt West, and CUSA. But your bus drivers get paid more because you are in bigger cities.

Now with the Big XII realizing what they are. They created a market for themselves. They know they are no longer upper class but they are middle class. The ACC and Pac-12 refuse to realize they are middle class now too and it's gonna drive the PAC to being a fake middle class conference.

For 2024-25, the B1G and SEC is upper class.

ACC, Big XII, and PAC are middle class

The G5s are always lower middle class and lower class with no chance of being middle class as they lack the "athletic education"

The ACC has not accepted its faith but are stuck. The Big XII has and they are doing exactly what the American conference wanted to do. Be a conference that's coast to coast. The best middle class sports available but they only had G5 money and you can't be middle class or upper middle class with G5 money. No one wants to travel if they don't have to. It helps that ESPN is doing the bidding for the Big XII and that's honestly what's killed the PAC.

The PAC won't be dead but it's gonna be the Mountain West with great inheritance. Sadly, they didn't read the room. The Big XII is reading the room and they don't have any competition. The G5s are easy pickings, everyone wants out.

I think we are going to see the Big XII be the first upper middle class conference when its all said and done.

The landscape has changed and they were the ones to adjust. I still think the ACC can be upper middle class but how long can that last with so much uncertainty.
The American was JV all the way
To say that the Big12 is settling in to a life of mediocre is bull****
Half of the B1G are never gonna get into a CFP, NEVER! The B1G gets way too much credit
A creatively run Big12 can do a lot, sorry, not gonna buy mediocre

Half of the B1G are never gonna get into a CFP, NEVER! The B1G gets way too much credit
The American had a tremendous plan. The issue was, when you have no money, you can't execute.

Mike Aresco, probably one of the beat commissioners in college football had an elite plan. He invited BYU, Boise, SDSU, and Gonzaga to the American and his plan was to be the best middle class brand that cover coast to coast. But there just wasn't much money to deal with the travel cost. He even worked with ESPN heavily selling visibility but others just couldnt get past the money element for travel. Whereas, Yormark has the money. That's why you see are seeing massive interest.

This is not brand new. Aresco had this plan. I really feel for him because he really do an excellent job but G5 is basically poverty status due to the lack of money.

You had no reason to neg me. There is a difference between middle class and upper class when schools are getting 100 million from FOX/CBS/NBC and getting 90-100 million from ESPN.

That's a substantial difference. Use common sense. Even you noticed that there are no major powerhouse brands in the Big XII whereas the SEC and B1G is loaded with these powerhouse brands.

Just use common sense. It's not hard to see one conference has accepted its faith and moved to being the best in this tier where the other two are scrambling as they don't want no part of this lane.

Big cable did this. If you want to neg rep someone, neg rep ESPN, FOX, CBS, and NBC.

You’re viewing things through a 2023 lens. The B1G and SEC are going to control the entire sport and its postseason at some point, unless something drastic happens. They aren’t going to allow teams from weak conferences to get auto bids into the playoff like it’s currently set up starting in 2024. As soon as they shut down the auto bids, you think the Pac 10, Big 12 or ACC are getting any more than one team in the CFP if that?

Back